PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
De sproketorens

Don't ask ! I have no information on this - it would appear that Google is also a bit short of info. All I know is that it comes from the pen of Leon Schuijt of Alkmaar Holland.

At it's widest point it's 12 inches wide and about the same height. I'm not sure why I bought it - I usually make models of real buildings. It has an old fashioned look and I wasn't sure how well it had been designed. I am pleased to say that the fit was very good. Although fitting the final part - the tall square tower - was a bit "interesting.

I think Leon is better known for his windmills, but he has other "real" Dutch buildings and having made at least one other of them I can agree that the kits are of a high standard.

Hopefully, someone will have more info on the kit!

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
De sproketorens-img_2037.jpg   De sproketorens-img_2038.jpg   De sproketorens-img_2039.jpg   De sproketorens-img_2040.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Hi Mike,

If my Dutch is right, I believe the title refers to a fantasy castle. I think Schreiber has the Golden Castle.

Fred
Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That is a most interesting....castle? I can picture it out in a bay in a kind of Tolkien-esque setting. I like it!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
It is indeed a fantasy model. The name simply means 'Fairy tale castle'.

Leon Schuyt's windmills are all very basic, but interesting because he has a number of different types which can still be seen in working order in our country. His models of twon weigh houses and former cathedrals (now of course protestant churches) are of good quality.
You can find the whole available range on my site - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels, page Traditional Architecture. They are all A3 size, so unfortunately expensive in the mail.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the information - I guessed it had to be something like that!

We were at Kinderdijk a few years ago and I found a pile of kits in the shop - I think I bought about one of each kit. I got some strange look form other people in the shop !!!!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Mike, very well done. I made this model a very long time ago, in 1978 or something, but never quite finished it. Remember had great difficulty to shape the coned roofs.
I agree with Diderick, LS architectural models are certainly recommendable for their quality. An interesting LS wind mill to make is the wood sawing mill "Poelenburg", which has a fully functional sawing mechanism. Hope you don't mind I post a picture herewith, perhaps an idea for a future project. The model was somewhat damaged during house moving...

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
De sproketorens-dscn9329.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM

Erik,

Thanks for the note.

I use kebab sticks to shape the conical roofs. First I remove the tab and pinch the point so I get a short fold. Now I add a new tab, half is glued to one side of the cone. Then I use the stick to get a general cone shape then continue to roll it tighter, so that when I release it, it unrolls to almost the right size. Now the cone can be glued with a butt joint, the new tab creates a "step" in the cone and the side to be glued can slide right up to the other side.

It may sound complicated but it's worth a try....

As for the saw mill, I made that many years ago. I've made quite a few windmills and still have some in my "to -do" pile!

I know what you mean about loosing models when moving. We moved a few months ago. All mine were in boxes and I am sure the movers stacked some of them up-side- down. I've spent many evenings repairing the damage.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Smile

Mike, I love your little model. It has so much character- just like the fellow who built it. I am sorry that some of your models arrived upside down. I hope I never have to move.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.08 MB
If ayou are intrested in "De Sproketorens" I have scanned the drawings. Some parts are ppartly doubled couse the size of the paper. Its european size A3 And i have scande it to A4. The size is the same.

If you want it let me know. And if you want a translation of the explenation i can give it to you. Altrough its not a correct manual. Some things the designer took for grandted.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 AM

It's not a good idea to offer scanned copies of existing kits.

Mainly because it's not really legal!!

Cheers
Mike
Google Adsense