PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi guys,

Thanks for tuning in. Shipping cost for these models can be expensive, especially since the books are relatively heavy. I've browsed the internet for a paper model of the Raffles Hotel (that would be very interesting) but couldn't find any.
We strolled along the arcades of the hotel during our stay but in the shop where they sell all kinds of Raffles Hotel collector's items, a paper model wasn't one of them.
In any case, "white man's heaven" - the Long Bar - was still there, and packed.

Interesting pictures Herky, they portray a Singapore that unfortunately doesn't really exist anymore; probably Pulau Ubin comes closest, but the type of shophouses as in the pictures still exist, especially in what Singaporeans refer to as the Heartland - where people wear "flip-flops" rather than shiny designer shoes.

Anyway, back to the model. Construction starts with the facades of the buildings and the, what was called "5 feet way"; the covered walkway in front of the shops, where shop keepers stored part of their goods and where people could walk and shelter in case of the usual tropical downpoor.

Everything's still in the making so herewith a few pictures of the various components, including the arches. I'm building the kit with every option, which means among others all louver doors open. Each part fits flawlessly up so far and I hope the pictures bring out the very finely printed details. The last picture is a dry-fit of the facades. Next time they will be fixed on the groundplate.

My wife was born and raised in Singapore and speaks Mandarin, so hopefully one day she can translate the characters on the building .

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9330.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9331.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9332.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9333.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9334.jpg  

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for tuning in. Shipping cost for these models can be expensive, especially since the books are relatively heavy. I've browsed the internet for a paper model of the Raffles Hotel (that would be very interesting) but couldn't find any.
We strolled along the arcades of the hotel during our stay but in the shop where they sell all kinds of Raffles Hotel collector's items, a paper model wasn't one of them.
In any case, "white man's heaven" - the Long Bar - was still there, and packed.

Interesting pictures Herky, they portray a Singapore that unfortunately doesn't really exist anymore; probably Pulau Ubin comes closest, but the type of shophouses as in the pictures still exist, especially in what Singaporeans refer to as the Heartland - where people wear "flip-flops" rather than shiny designer shoes.

Anyway, back to the model. Construction starts with the facades of the buildings and the, what was called "5 feet way"; the covered walkway in front of the shops, where shop keepers stored part of their goods and where people could walk and shelter in case of the usual tropical downpoor.

Everything's still in the making so herewith a few pictures of the various components, including the arches. I'm building the kit with every option, which means among others all louver doors open. Each part fits flawlessly up so far and I hope the pictures bring out the very finely printed details. The last picture is a dry-fit of the facades. Next time they will be fixed on the groundplate.

My wife was born and raised in Singapore and speaks Mandarin, so hopefully one day she can translate the characters on the building .

Cheers,
Erik
i was back there about ten years ago and yes singapore is modern,clean and vibrant but i miss the old singapore i remember from my childhood days
Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 AM

A quick update - the facades are partly glued in place, as well as the arches in the 5 ft walkway. Haven't glued the columns yet on the base as I think it's better to do so after the side walls are in position, for better alignment.

Next time I hope to attach pictures taken under natural light conditions - modeling is a 10pm business and the days are getting shorter again .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9335.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9336.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9337.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.41 MB
Wow, I am a Singaporean and I didn't know we have a local designer :P

Nice build by the way, I look forward to more updates
Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsg View Post
Wow, I am a Singaporean and I didn't know we have a local designer :P

Nice build by the way, I look forward to more updates
tell me are the tiger balm gardens still there?
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
tell me are the tiger balm gardens still there?
Yeah, the Tiger Balm gardens are still around. It's like one of those forgotten places of Singapore now.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsg View Post
Yeah, the Tiger Balm gardens are still around. It's like one of those forgotten places of Singapore now.
i remember it well.did get to do the night safari at singapore zoo when i was there a few years back.that was a new experience for me
Old 08-20-2015, 01:10 AM

Aren't the Tiger Balm Gardens nowadays called Haw Par Villa? Indeed, still there.

Should you ever go back again, you shouldn't miss out on the tree top walk at MacRitchie Reservoir .

Hope to post an update of the shophouse in the weekend.

Erik
Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Aren't the Tiger Balm Gardens nowadays called Haw Par Villa? Indeed, still there.

Should you ever go back again, you shouldn't miss out on the tree top walk at MacRitchie Reservoir .

Hope to post an update of the shophouse in the weekend.

Erik
used to be known also as that way back when.biggest suprise i got was with daughter taking bum boat ride on the canal,
used to be the joke back in 60s that if you ever fell in you could catch every desease known to man.was suprised how clean it is now
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
used to be the joke back in 60s that if you ever fell in you could catch every desease known to man.was suprised how clean it is now
Singapore did a major clean up of all their waterways ever since and it paid off .

Didn't have much time for modelling this weekend; renovation works required in the house. Since this is basically modeling too, on a 1:1 scale, I'm not complaining.

Some progress though on the shop internals. Finished two out of three shops. It felt like building a dollhouse scale 1:87. The details and print quality are excellent. Also the thick paper on which the parts are printed make them very easy to handle, similar to the Instant Durable models.

The model provides a bit of a flimsy way to reinforce the floor of each shop, instead I used 2mm thick board (laminated 2x 1mm), which gives a much better result.

Next time hopefully the third shop ready, along with the walls and ceiling. Once completed each shop looks like a compartment.

Eh..., that's it for the moment.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9338.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9339.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9340.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9341.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
paperbricks, shophouse, singapore