PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse

Hello paper modelers,

Just returned from a few weeks holiday in Singapore where I found two interesting models of traditional Chinatown shophouses, which can still commonly be found in this part of the "Lion City".
Model 1 is a shophouse fully used for residential purpose and Model 2 is both commercial and residential. The kits can be combined to resemble a row of shophouses, just like the real situation.

The models come in A4 size book form, are well documented and printed on thick, semi-glossy paper. The print quality looks very attractive and I couldn't resist to buy both of them. Price each was 38 Singapore dollar, which is currently about 25 euro / 28 USD.
The models are of local design (Ricky Soh) and can be bought through PaperBricks Design - Home or in local book stores/markets.

I wasn't aware of the existence of any paper modeling in Singapore, but there you go; it exists.

As I am too curious to just put the models on my growing to-do-stack, I decided to temporarily suspend the F-104G project and to start with one of the models. A scope change, we would say in project management terms (my daily work).

For now, a few pictures of the kit. The one I have started is kit no. 2, with a bakery, Chinese medicine and provision shop on the first floor and living spaces above. This type of shophouse was built in the early 1900s and is known as the "first transitional shophouse style".

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9321.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9322.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9323.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9324.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9325.jpg  

Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9326.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9327.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-dscn9328.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That looks very interesting. Will enjoy watching it progress
Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
I tried to get these kits sometime ago when a friend was living in Singapore. I never did get the kits. There is also another kit, the Raffles Hotel again I asked but my friend said that the hotel had run out of the kits.

Nice to see the instruction sheets are in English and look very detailed.

I'm off to visit Paper Bricks web site !!!!

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i actually remember shops like these
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very interesting models indeed - strange variation of a semi/terrace!

But as per normal - Far East mail order - very very expensive.

Would e interested in the Raffles Hotel!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Very interesting models indeed - strange variation of a semi/terrace!

But as per normal - Far East mail order - very very expensive.

Would e interested in the Raffles Hotel!
yup shipping would put me off much as i would like the models to bring back memories.shame they dont do it by download like ecardmodels or skyline
Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hello paper modelers,

Just returned from a few weeks holiday in Singapore where I found two interesting models of traditional Chinatown shophouses, which can still commonly be found in this part of the "Lion City".
Model 1 is a shophouse fully used for residential purpose and Model 2 is both commercial and residential. The kits can be combined to resemble a row of shophouses, just like the real situation.

The models come in A4 size book form, are well documented and printed on thick, semi-glossy paper. The print quality looks very attractive and I couldn't resist to buy both of them. Price each was 38 Singapore dollar, which is currently about 25 euro / 28 USD.
The models are of local design (Ricky Soh) and can be bought through PaperBricks Design - Home or in local book stores/markets.

I wasn't aware of the existence of any paper modeling in Singapore, but there you go; it exists.

As I am too curious to just put the models on my growing to-do-stack, I decided to temporarily suspend the F-104G project and to start with one of the models. A scope change, we would say in project management terms (my daily work).

For now, a few pictures of the kit. The one I have started is kit no. 2, with a bakery, Chinese medicine and provision shop on the first floor and living spaces above. This type of shophouse was built in the early 1900s and is known as the "first transitional shophouse style".

Erik
i have some photos of semberwang village in the time we lived there if i can find them,at the time though most places in the village were bars or food stores
Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.44 MB
Ha! If I find some time tomorrow will do a short trip to the North. As I am currently in Singapore, it is funny to read this.
And I have to check for the hotel kit, as my hotel is very close to the Raffle. Maybe I can find something in the Toy museum shop nearby?

Will let you know.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wanderer View Post
Ha! If I find some time tomorrow will do a short trip to the North. As I am currently in Singapore, it is funny to read this.
And I have to check for the hotel kit, as my hotel is very close to the Raffle. Maybe I can find something in the Toy museum shop nearby?

Will let you know.
when we lived in semberwang it was basically about 16 bars.the aussies used to drink from one end,the yanks from the other and the brits in the middle.everything would kick off in the early hours when they merged
Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 PM

couple of photos of the village both from around 1968
Attached Thumbnails
Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-img248.jpg   Singapore Chinatown Shophouse-sembawang20arcade1968.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
paperbricks, shophouse, singapore