PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another Stephansdom (Schreiber-Bogen)in the making!

In what is a new activity for me, and having received the model as a "stocking filler" after a visit to the model/toy shop in Vienna last Christmas situated close to Stephansplatz, I have thrown myself in at the "deep end" so to speak.

Only now got round to making a start, as a way to escape post law exam tensions, though I am not sure about that now as I glue my fingers together, but fun all the same!

I travel to Vienna fairly regularly (in fact again next week) so I shall look with renewed interest at the building again.

I must say the detail is impressive - more than I expected - and I look forward to the challenge. The tiny parts to the pinnacles on the buttresses have made me utter more than a few expletives already.

I have noticed another member, Sander1942, recently completed the same model to a high standard. I hope I can do as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Another Stephansdom (Schreiber-Bogen)in the making!-20160606_182619.jpg   Another Stephansdom (Schreiber-Bogen)in the making!-20160606_182726.jpg   Another Stephansdom (Schreiber-Bogen)in the making!-20160606_182832.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Do go through his posts a couple times. Sometimes just seeing it done will help you out when you get to the step where you go 'What!?'

Every model seems to have a spot in there where you have to figure out what the designer and instructions meant to have happen at this point. An existing build thread can help you through those spots with a few less expletives
Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Good advice indeed! Thanks

I have already followed some suggestions of reinforcing the build with thicker card (the ceiling of the nave/apse for the moment, which does give the build much better stability). Will be doing more of that.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am glad to see another model of this beautiful building under construction. It looks very good indeed 9and I like the paintings in the background).

Don
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Leogus,

You are off to a great start. This model is exceptional. As Vermin_King mentioned, there were times I had to stop, scratch my head and try to figure out where things went. Just take your time and all will become clear.

I look forward to your progress.
Google Adsense
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Thank-you Don and Mike for the encouragement. I shall keep you posted as I progress.

The paintings, Don, are mostly from the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich (some are available on-line), and I have them as a screen saver on one of the pc's. They remind me of another interest of mine, and a misspent youth bobbing around the Solent.

As an aside has anyone varnished or used sealants on their paper models?

I noticed a discussion about using an Acrylic sealer in another thread. My concern is the damp here (my home in the SE of Ireland), and the way the printed surface on the paper seems to become disturbed cutting some of the tiny pieces (especially the points of the cones for the pinnacles).

I have used this matt varnish on art before, and I thought to experiment with spaying the pieces before cutting and building. It doesn't make the ink run and has UV protection.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Another Stephansdom (Schreiber-Bogen)in the making!-20160607_125120-1-.jpg  
Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Windsor & Newton varnish will probably work well. They are certainly an experienced firm.

I do not know if it is available in Ireland, but here in the USA I use a spray acrylic called Krylon. Matt and gloss UV-resistant finishes are available (among others). I suspect it is similar to the W&N product in your image.

Of course, the time-honored procedure is to try it out on a piece of scrap and see if anything dire happens.

I cherish my one visit to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich 30 years ago and wish I could go back.

Don