PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Today, I started on the second section of the Mezquita. This section will contain 178 of the 856 red and white stripped horse shoe arches pf the Mosque[. The third section will hold the cathedral. The remainder of the building is then covered with a permanent roof. It is this section in the real Mosque that contains the rest of the arches. I sure am glad I don't have to cut out an addition 678 arches. The roof over the 178 arches is removable so the viewer can get an idea about the arches. Seeing all of the arches in person is truly a moving experience. I think the 178 arches will take some time to cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07319.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07320.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07321.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07322.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07323.jpg  

Old 02-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hoo-boy! I don't envy you the task of cutting out the arches Thomas. I do, however look forward to the time when the arches are complete and placed. best to you.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
178? Wow! That's a project that would dent my enthusiasm.
Trust it all goes well.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is really a formidable project, Thomas.

I enjoyed reading your description of Cordoba. The tale of the Mezquita is rather like that of Hagia Sophia in reverse (mosque to cathedral vice cathedral to mosque). Those Moorish candy-striped arches are remarkable.

Lil and I took an initial peek at your illustrated journal of the 2013 UK trip and look forward to reading more. Your account reminds me both of our own travels in the UK in the late 70s and early 80s and of Patrick Leigh Fermor's three-volume account of his walking journey from the Netherlands to Istanbul (zu fuss nach Konstantinopel, as he would reply to inquiries about what he was doing during the German and Austrian parts of the trek) in 1933-34.

Best wishes on the rest of this build and your future travels.

Don
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Eternal Member

I have now cut out and installed 2 of the 12 sections of arches. The arches are double-sided made by folding the back side over and gluing it before cutting. Of course this makes the material more difficult to cut out because of the double thickness. I timed a section yesterday and it took 35 minutes.

To make it even harder I have carpal tunnel in my right thumb. Every several months I get a shot of cortisone which helps for a while. After the last set of arches, I will get my shot soon :-)

As with the arches in the cloister, these arches have a small tab on the foot of each column that goes through a slot in the floor and is glued on the backside. When all of the arches have been installed, the base is glued in place inside the model. The last photo shows the location.
Attached Thumbnails
Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07332.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07334.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07336.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 02-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Those peppermint arches look to be quite a job - if you have any strength in your thumb - but they look very good now that the task is done.

Don
Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry Don, the task is far from done. I have only cut out 40 arches – the top arch and the horseshoe arch. I have 140 more arches to cut out – top and middle arches.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Understand how you feel, Thomas. I'm just about finished with the 130 odd dormers on the Brussels Town Hall. Then just the towers left to complete.

Fred
Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Eternal Member

Fred, your Brussels Town Hall as well of the rest of the model is magnificent. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with dormers. The worst was the Escorial in Madrid with 433 dormers. After that I never wanted to see another dormer.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Thanks Thomas. 433...

I have nothing to complain about.

Fred
Google Adsense

Tags
model, section, pages, part, mezquita, parts, spain, cloister, photos, show, small, cordoba, good, numbers, made, cathedral, progress, mosque, large, trees, number, building, visited, cathedralquest, merino