PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Today I am half finished with the red and white striped arches. In the attached photos, you can see what needs to be done to finish this beautiful part of the mosque.
Attached Thumbnails
Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07340.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07344.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wow! That's a lot of beautiful detail Thomas. How are your fingers and eyes holding out?
Old 03-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Elliott. My eyes are doing fine but I am having trouble with my right hand. I have carpal tunnel in my thumb and arthritis in my middle finger. It's time to get another shot of cortisone. I hope to finish all of those beautiful arches soon. I forgot to mention that the indentation is where Cathedral part begins.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
How many hours did that take to cut out those arches?

They look great!

Fred
Old 03-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Eternal Member

I gave up counting I still have 6 more rows to go so I am half way on the arches.
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Eternal Member

I finally finished all those wonderful horseshoe arches and placed them in the correct location in the model. While the Mezquita has nearly 600 such arches as shown in my photo of the interior, the model only has only about 1/3 of them exposed. The area behind the arches in the model will be covered by a roof. The indented part of the arch section is for the apse of the cathedral. The cathedral will occupy about half of the rear area. Note also that I have planted several tree in the cloister. There will be 53 trees, mostly orange trees. A roof will cover the entire area on the left side;however, the roof is removable over the arches.
Attached Thumbnails
Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07345.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07347.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07348.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07349.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07351.jpg  

Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07352.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07353.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-cordobainterior2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Tom, as always, it's a pleasure to follow you vicariously on your tours. We visited the Mezquita very briefly in 2012 and I regret not taking more time to tour Córdoba. I fully intend to revisit Spain in the future as I let pass the opportunity to try a suckling pig in Barcelona and have kicked myself ever since.

Your model is beautiful. Looking forward to more pictures as the build progresses.

Phil
Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Phil, for your kind words. I am pleased that you have enjoyed my webpage. I always wondered who was following us around and now I know :-) There was a lot to see in Córdoba, and I never could understand why Globus Tours stopped going there. I too missed the suckling pig in Barcelona. I guess we both will have to go back.

I think that you probably will finish Chartres Cathedral before I finish Mezquita. I still have many many pages of parts,.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Looking good, Thomas.

Bet you're glad those arches are done.

Fred
Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

I just finished the next phase on the Mezquita, which was the rest of the exterior walls. The remaining sections of the front and back walls were fairly simple; however, the left wall took more time because of the recessed panels.

Also added during this part of the construction was installation the Mihrab area on the left side. The Mihrab, which indicates the direction of Mecca, is the most important element of the mosque. The interior of Mihrab is illustrated as the top will be removed so you can see inside.

The next section to be completed is the back half of the roof which contains a number of smaller roofs. Also the upper half of the Cathedral will be built on top of the roof. I have placed the roof on the rear section where it will be installed. Note the red marks were the cathedral will go. Also see the two diagrams.

There also a removable roof over the arches. My trees in the cloister are not growing very fast.

I really appreciate all of you who have looked at this model – more viewers so far than any other model that I have made. I also very much appreciate your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07386.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07384.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07358.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07378.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07379.jpg  

Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07355.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07372.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07382.jpg   Mezquita in Cordoba-dsc07383.jpg  

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 04-13-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Google Adsense

Tags
model, section, pages, part, mezquita, parts, spain, cloister, photos, show, small, cordoba, good, numbers, made, cathedral, progress, mosque, large, trees, number, building, visited, cathedralquest, merino