PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Fiddlers Green Assay and Land Office

Hi All,

I got into the little railroad station from Fiddlers Green and wanted to try another building. Looking through the selection at hand, the twin kit of the Assay and Land Office buildings called out to me. When I was cutting out the parts I noticed a few things that I could add to make them look a little more interesting. The doors of the Assay Office were ajar on the print out and that made me want to install a rudimentary interior. The porch roof on each also called out to have some supports and posts put on to add to the look. From installing the posts on the awning of the Rail Road Station, I knew that it was hard to get the posts to stay in line while waiting on the glue to dry so that called for a base to mount them on. Having lots of balsa wood laying about that seemed like a good choice.

Laying out the parts and planning the various changes I wanted to make soon had a completed model laying on the bench. I used multiple printouts to come up with interior walls and floor as well as a counter for the interior of the Assay Office. I treated the back doors of the pair to the 3D treatment I used for the Rail Road Station. There are also a pair of cats on the side of the Land Office that gave me a place to do a bit more detailing by adding the box for the one to sit on. When I got the base together I used Sharpie Marker Pens to add a bit of color and edge color all the parts of the buildings to eliminate the white spots.

This is also done in "N" Scale to fit in with the Rail Road Station. When I go to glue it down permanently to a layout, the bow in the base will get ironed out, but for right now, I can live with it. Now I have to decide what to build up next.
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Great work jay! I love the board walk/base. Balsa sticks?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Hi Willygoat,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I did deforest a bit of a balsa tree as a sacrifice to my base/boardwalk for this one. I was looking for a way to be able to straighten up the support posts in the front. It also makes the little model look more complete than sitting all on its' own that way I think. As soon as I find some "N" Scale barrels and boxes to add, I believe they may find their way to the back of the buildings as well. It seems a bit bare without any of that sort of stuff hiding around back there.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
I built this set for under the X-mas tree train one year, not still around, but used it until we got cats (they are entertaining enough around the tree anyway):D
Old 06-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Another great old west building. If I ver get time I am going to try these as well. It seams that they have as much detail as a guy wants to develop into them, and you have a free hand in adding your own details, and as much scratch building as you want to mix in with it. I like doing plans and ships, but these building may be a great change. I look forward to seeing your next one!
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 AM

You make that up very well! I buy one of the Fidders Green buildings but I thought it was garbage and I did not make. I have the same building (Anne Hathaway's Cottage) in Micromodels and the Micromodels rendition it have maybe 75+ parts but the FG model it have maybe 10... And not even a base or landscaping.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks Folks,

The nice thing about a simple model like this is that you do get to add whatever amount of detailing that you can "imagineer" ( if I may borrow a term from old Walt Disney). I look at something that is not very detailed and it just calls out to me to see what I can do to make it look better.

Since I am planning on adding these to a model rail road layout at some point in time, I am trying to make them into more or less complete stand alone units. With a layout, you have to come up with the ground work and add the buildngs as you go along figuring out postion and then tack it down. Buidling them like this just makes sense for my purposes.