PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable

After a long break, I've decided to plunge back into building with L'Instant Durable's Cathedrale de Chartres. My very first model was a Cathedrale de Notre Dame by the same company and I loved it although it is not one I would dare display here. After a few models under my belt, I feel confident enough to attempt a public build thread.

The print quality seems better than with Notre Dame. The lines are cleaner and the colors are better registered within the lines. Right away, though, I noticed an error. The base is printed off center. The base is provided with cutouts to facilitate maneuvering the parts from below as the build progresses. The goal is to eventually glue the base onto thin foam board and perhaps the error could be corrected by judicious trimming. Also, a tab that should be labelled A4 is labeled A3 instead.

Anyway, here are some preliminary pictures.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-img_1973.jpg   Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-img_1974.jpg   Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-img_1975.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Phil, you have chosen a beautiful Cathedral to re-stimulate your interest in papermodels. I built this model 1992 and it is still in great shape – better shape than me :-). I can remember building it, not knowing where it was or that I would ever see it in person. Somehow I acquired Chartres and Mont St. Michelle, but I have no idea where I got them. It Is hard to believe that it was 25 years ago, before email and Internet were available. Even Amazon wasn't in business yet or any of the large bookstores, most of which have gone out of business already.

We did visit Chartres and Mont St. Michelle in 2005. In Dol-de-Bretagne there was a wonderful building called the Cathedralscope which was filled with wooden models cathedrals. They also had a wonderful book store where I bought the L' Instant Durable model of Notre Dame, Paris and Reims. That got me hooked and now 12 years later, I am now on my 70+ model.

So good luck, Phil. I will be following your progress with great interest.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looks like it will be a fun build

Will be following this with interest

Tim
Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Great choice. As soon as I saw the name of the building I wondered if the labyrinth would be included anywhere and sure enough there it is.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Good luck with the build, it's a great kit - you will have "fun" when you get to the flying buttresses !

Cheers
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Thanks, everybody. I have a true story, a confession, if you like. When my wife and I were in Paris a few years ago, we visited the Arc de Triomphe, at the top of which is a bookstore. There I found a copy of L'Instant Durable's Cathedrale de Notre Dame. Naively, I bought it for my (then) 12 year old son, thinking it would be a great weekend project for him.

After it sat around the house for two years, I finally pulled it off the shelf and determined to have a go at it myself. "How hard could it be?", I asked aloud and generously allotted myself a week to finish it. I had never heard of paper models before and after scrounging around the house, I came up with the following assorted tools which I thought were admirably suited to the task.

Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-untitled.jpg

I very quickly got bogged down in the project and realized what I had got myself into. That's when I discovered Papermodelers.com and started lurking around the forums picking up stray bits of advice here and there. Eventually after two years and after purchasing the right equipment, I was able to come up with this (but not till some serious damage had already been done):

Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-phils-iphone-march-2015-184-copy.jpg Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-phils-iphone-march-2015-185-copy.jpg Cathedral de Chartres, L'Instant Durable-phils-iphone-march-2015-186.jpg

Fortunately, the picture resolution is low enough to stand up to (very) casual scrutiny.

Phil
Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
It is very good looking. I admire your patience. I do not think I could keep focused on a single build for 2 years, but you did... and it paid off!

Cami
Old 03-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Phil, Thanks for sharing your first model experienced. I enjoyed reading it. I think most paper modelers could tell a similar story. I don't know if there is a thread entitled "my first paper model experience" or not, but it sure would make an interesting thread. It also would give confidence to newcomers that it can be done.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
That proves the saying "Ignorance is Bliss" ..... Would you have started with it if you had known what you were letting yourself in for?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Know the feeling, Phil.

Have started a couple of models and then started to think, "Do I really want to finish this?"

But in the end, the finished product is what counts and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Fred
Google Adsense

Tags
base, cathedrale, notre, dame, build, linstant, chartres, error, lines, eventually, goal, progresses, provided, printed, noticed, center, glue, maneuvering, facilitate, cutouts, parts, corrected, labeled, labelled, phil