PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Saint sernin

Attachment 15682This model can be summed up in one word - Don't !

It can be described as the classic souvenir model - Too shinny, too thick - just the sort of kit you would buy for someone else.

However.........

As you can see I have bought it and made it. I guess it was inevitable because my wife and I spent a week in the Toulouse area and the kit was on sale in the shop.

The attached photos will give you an overview of the building, whick looks very good, hoewver the close-ups will tell a different story. The most obvious fault is the tops of the buttresses, for some reason a flat piece was part of the lower half, but the printing is out of line and the white background is bigger than the area of the piece to be glued.

The side view of the double buttress shows how poor the fit is. I cut them into two halves (top and bottom) Glued the bottom piece to the wall then added the top piece.

There is also a small problem with the numbering - I found two pieces with the same number.

As many of you will know, my model making skills are not too bad so if anyone has made this model, I'd be pleased to hear from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Saint sernin-img_0116.jpg   Saint sernin-img_0118.jpg   Saint sernin-img_0120.jpg   Saint sernin-img_0124.jpg   Saint sernin-img_0126.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
With all the "flaws," it is still a very attractive model, Mike, and your presentation of it atop the plan is brilliant.

Yes, your model making skills are -- ahem -- "not too bad."

Don
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Thanks Don.

I must admit that the base came with the model. I knew I was in for a bit of fun when I attached the sides to the base - if you look closely you will see black lines round the building. This shows that the parts don't even fit well on the base.

The oddest part is that the base also has drawings inside with narrative telling you what's there!

I've also added a thread on the tips section about dealing with thick card.

Cheers
Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It still look very nice!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I agree with Don; flaws aside, this is an attractive model and I'm sure even more so for your building skills.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Hi Mike,

I'm new here and as I was skulking around the place, I came across your model. I am not that familiar with architecture models, so I'll have to take your word that it is a bad kit. But you would never know it from your build. Looks very good and realistic to me.

That's one of the things I like about this hobby.... the challenge of turning a so-so kit into a masterpiece.

Looks GREAT!

Ken
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I like it! I still have not tried a building yet. Between the old west buildings I have seen, and great models like yours (the finished look anyhow came out great!) I am real tempted!
CT
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 AM

CT.

Thanks for the comments,

You may like to start with some of the models on the canon website. They are free and the newer models are excelent. If you make a mistake, you can always print off another page of parts.

I don't have their URL but try "creative park" in Google

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 AM

It has a flavour of old memories : I lived in Toulouse during more than 20 years, and near St Sernin cathedral was "the" girl's highschool of the town...and I was studying in "the" boy's highschool of the town, 500 meters from it.
If we could have the permission to leave at noon - and I had - we generaly meet GF in "cafés" at the "Place du Capitole" (we have a Capitol in Toulouse!), midway of both schools...hmm, no comment!
In other topic, more serious, we, pupils, often went to the cathedral to listen the rehearsals of organ concerts: marvellous!

So, I like your model, even if you have had difficulties to fit pieces!

Thanh Thuy.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Mike, it looks excellent. I would have bought it, too!
Google Adsense