PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
I also like the Great Courses. I like to listen to them in my car.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
OK. Back to the model!

Last weekend I was fairly busy and cold but I managed to cut out all the parts for the model in between doing everything else.

Now to find/make more building time!

As I mentioned in one of the earlier posts I was a bit worried about how good the fit of the model was......

"Cutting out the parts I also noticed that some of the "cut lines" are quite thick, which in 1/160 leads me to wonder about fit (depending on how I ended up cutting along the line). So, the first step now will be to do one small sub-assembly to see how the fit goes, so if needs be I can take extra care going forward."

So, seeing as how there is a small boat used to transport the miller and sacks around, I decided to build this this for a "fit test" - it is really just a small version of the larger two boat hulls used for the actual mill structure.

During this build I will also in my pictures try and illustrate some of the tools and methods I use when building. So here goes.......

Picture 1 - The basic parts cut out.

Picture 2 - Folded for assembly.

Picture 3 - The outer hull assembled. When building I normally use white PVA glue for everything. I work off some scrap paper onto which I put a blob of glue, and for small parts I apply the glue with a fine dental probe. For bigger parts I use larger probes or spatulas. The probes are also useful for holding small tabs pressed down when they are drying.

Picture 4 - The inner hull now glued in. In the picture there is a different dental probe I used to press the sides together as it dried. For colouring the white cut or fold edges, I use water colour pencils or Staedler Felt Colouring Pens. Here I have colored two of the top edges - the other two are not yet coloured and the difference the colouring makes can clearly be seen!

Picture 5 - The finished boat with the two thwarts now in.

Picture 6 - The underside.

Picture 7 - Just to give you an idea of size! And the build of this little boat went well, with no issues!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b1.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b2.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b3.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b4.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b6.jpg  

Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b7.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-b8.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

Ah, something I forgot to mention in the previous post was the artwork.

In the pictures of the parts in my first post on this model you may have noticed that the artwork was a bit different to Richards' normal style, in that it seems to be less crisp and defined compared to his other models.

I was wondering how this would affect the appearance. Well, after building the little boat the artwork really came to life for me and, I think, looks great.

Certainly very realistic texture wise if you look at the photo of the finished boat.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Kevin - This is a fascinating thread. I like the mill, I like the background info, and I like the little boat! Back in the 1950s, there was a wonderful U.S comic strip by Walt Kelly called "Pogo Possum." Pogo and his friends (Howland Owl, Albert Alligator, Churchy LaFemme, and so on) poled around the Okefenokee Swamp in a similar boat whose name kept changing.

Pogo-01=

Pogo-02

Don
Old 05-25-2016, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Back when I was young, Dogpatch, USA was a theme park in NW Arkansas. It seems like on all of our family vacations, we would always go there on one leg of the trip, or to Colorado Springs.

Pogo was a lot of fun.

Back to being almost on topic, I was that at Boston Harbor, on one of the rivers, there is a water-powered floating skimmer to remove floating trash and debris. Internet search let me down. I was hoping to link to an article or images
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 AM
Eternal Member

Don - I remember Pogo from when I was a small boy. And now I remember his boat as well, and it is like the Millers boat...... Thanks for the memory!

----------------------------

VK - thank you. Got it!

Mr. Trash Wheel | Baltimore Waterfront

How a Solar-Powered Water Wheel Can Clean 50,000 Pounds of Trash Per Day From Baltimore's Inner Harbor

Interesting concept. You can never put good or sound technology down!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That's the one. When I saw that, I immediately thought of your project
Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Eternal Member

It always interests me that there is often really no "new" technology, and that "old" technology has so many uses if reapplied or "reinvented"........

Hydroelectric dams come straight from the bridge or hanging mills. They also have a big mill pond behind them to regulate the water flow!!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Eternal Member

This weekend I managed to do a bit more on the model.

Things went easier then I thought.

My assembly step, as I mentioned previously, is going to be the house first.

So, the Picture below shows all the house parts cut and laid out.

Going clockwise from the roof, there is the walls, beams to hold up the landing, stair treads, doors, small roof for a door, sides of the stairs, small roofs for the roof windows, roof windows, and then the normal side windows.

I am worried as to whether I will be able to build the stairs as they look quite flimsy so I will start with this area next, building the landing first and then the stairs. The devil is in the detail!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw1.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 05-29-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

OK, the pictures below show the process I used when building the landing the stairs attach to.

Picture 1 - The parts for the landing and the stairs. Going clockwise - top left the landing, sides of the stairs, stair treads, my trusty engineers square, and the beams for holding up the landing.

The assembly of the landing was not too clear at this stage, but after careful folding hopefully all became clearer!

Picture 2 - once folded the assembly of the landing became clearer.On the landing are two white tabs and these clearly DO NOT attach straight to the side of the walls. After studying the set-up a bit, it looks to me like these should go through a slot in the wall and then be opened up on the inside to secure the landing.

The bottom arrow shows one of the two tabs I am talking about. The second arrow shows the slot - which I have yet to cut out.

Picture 3 - One of the tools I find invaluable when modelling in paper is the small engineer's square shown in Picture 1. You need to find the smallest one possible - this is quite hard as these squares are generally a bit bigger than the one in the photo.

I use it to ensure parts are aligned and square, and illustrate typical use in this photo and the next one.

in this picture you can see that I am using it to ensure that the two sides of the landing are square.

Picture 4 - Here the engineers square is being used to ensure the bottom, sides and end are all aligned.

Picture 5 - This shows one of my dental tools (a spatula) being ised to ensure the end is 100% square as it dries.

Picture 6 - The finished landing!

Next step - the dreaded stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw2.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw3.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw4.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw5a.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tll.jpg  

Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-tw6.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 05-29-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Google Adsense