PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-18-2016, 03:18 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John - thank you. I am just the same. I have so many interests and fads, and not enough time! Hope for several happy reincarnations.......
Old 12-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member

Well, I got around to taking some pics today with a camera (as opposed to my phone).

I tried to photoshop one onto a river as well, but was not happy with the result. The light contrasts were too obvious!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm12.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm11.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm13.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm14.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm16.jpg  

Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-fbm15.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Super pictures! I have to ask; what did you use to make such straight shafts?
Old 12-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Eternal Member

Missileer - bamboo skewers.

See here....

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/562421-post64.html

I did consider drawing the axles and then rolling them - they are not provided in the model (just a template with a suggestion to use wood). But in the end I had the right size skewers handy so just used these.

I stained them with a gel strain instead of painting. I don't mind using (rarely) the odd piece of wood in a paper model if it is appropriate (as in the case of a small axle here).
Old 12-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercaptain View Post
Hello, Kevin!
There's another papermodel of a two hull boat mill available by Imogen Stowasser's Kartonwerft. KW-Modell A03 Schiffmühle
Scale is 1/100, 4 sheets DIN A4, very detailed construction showing the interior functions.
The original is reconstructed by enthusiasts at Minden on the Weser river. Schiffmühle Minden - Historie und Kultur erleben
Kind regards -
Papercaptain
The site also has some nice boats and lighthouses,. and even a few freebies!
Thanks Papercaptain!
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I had a feeling that you had covered that point and I missed it. But I agree with you on mixing wood with paper sometimes. The Shell Oil Collection of cars of the late 1800s and very early 1900s suggest that you make the axles out of wood. I had to do that with a steering column on one of the models. I had to reduce the scale of the car to get it in line with the Epinal building that I was using. That was the "calibrated eyeball' approach using a figure of a woman that came in the kit.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent images, Kevin! This has been a fascinating project, and thread, from the beginning.

Don
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 AM
Eternal Member

Vince, Papercaptain - I bought this kit incidentally, and the printing is terrible, rendering a lot of parts not really usable. There is also an awful "water" simulation on some of the other wheel parts - this means a lot of photo editing to get things right! As It stands in terms of coloring a built wheel will not look like the example in the webpage photo. Pity!

A nice kit otherwise. A basic version (not the one on the webpage) can be assembled fairly easily and there are also two versions of the wheel included - a simple and more complex one. In terms of assembly, to get it as per the pictures on the website a lot more of extra work is required, as well as some extra material maybe, so this version is not for an inexperienced modeler. 3 pages of parts for the model, with an extra sheet for the interior if you decide to do this.

Two picture below of a wheel hub with bad print, and the second of some beams with the horrible water texture. These beams are shown without this texture in the web photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-bmpp.jpg   Water Mill - A Boat Mill Variant!-bmpp2.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Eternal Member

Well the plan was to do another water mill over Christmas - but not to be.....

I could not face trying to fix the Boat Mill above , but printed two other mill models off. Then found I forgot to print the page for one, while the other has a misprint error that I did not see! So that was that! So it goes!

So have started another (non mill) model in the meantime! But lost a few days in the process!