PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I noticed that about jobs, didn't matter what kind I had, that part was the same. It may not look like much progress George but it is progress! You'll be there before you know it. btw George, you didn't say what you are working on now. What is it?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Question of the Day

I did fail to mention that, didn't I. Must be that I was thinking about working on card models instead of greasy fryers! Hopefully, when I get further along, it will start to look like this:

Some of my builds-farnsleymoremenhouse-cropped.jpg

This is the Farnsley-Moremen house in Louisville, Ky. The house was built by Gabriel Farnsley in 1837 (at least finished that year). He had a boat landing and ferry crossing to Indiana here (about twelve miles down river from our house). Later on it became a stopping spot for the steamboat traffic plying the Ohio River (but that would come after the Moremen family bought the 'plantation') The house faces the river, sitting up on a nice little rise. We took a day trip over there a few weeks back, and had the guide and house to ourselves (I love going to old homes on weekdays!). We, my wife and I, were able to take measurements and pictures to our (my) little hearts content.
They do have a web site, under Riverside Park and Farnsley-Moremen Landing. I'll share more of the history as the design and (hopefully) build progresses. By the way, the brick texture on the model is worked up from a picture I took of one of the side walls. The coloring is about as close as I can get it before it has that 'cartoonish' look.

Everyone have a Great day and Model Away! George
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That's a good-looking building!

Don
Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM

Yes, I love it. So did my wife. She was the one who asked if we could get some basic measurements so it could be modeled. So, you know who gets the model when it's done, right? By the way, Don, Happy Birthday! And elliott, thank you!
Have a FANTASTIC day! George
Old 09-21-2016, 02:53 PM

Just a little 'spiffing up' on the façade and it's respective parts in between jobs and naps!

Some of my builds-fansley2.jpg

The pictures of the sheers and window reflections in the first mock-up were just too... Blah! Also, went with solid panels were the routed V-grooves are on the prototype (some of that artistic license). Now they won't show up as green-black blobs around the door framing and the doors themselves. I'll cut this one and assemble it just to see what it looks like. Next thing I'll need to do is work out the portico. That might get interesting.

Let me know what you think. I'm showing everyone part of the design phase that I go through with each structure I build. And who knows, I might put this together and go... Blah!... and start over. It has been known to happen! Hope everyone enjoys this. Have a great Day! George
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Not the best week I've had for modeling, but Mama will like the paycheck!

Some of my builds-9-23-2016-004.jpg

Here's the first mock-up of the façade. Haven't started on the portico yet and not sure if that will happen till next week. Just trying to get a 'feel' of what she might look like at this stage. Everyone have a Great Day! George
Old 09-25-2016, 12:12 PM

somewhat of a build

My oldest daughter works for a local hospital (as does her boyfriend) and is fortunate enough to have her own small office. Last week, one of the women that she works with saw the model I made of the daughter's house sitting on a shelf and could not believe it was a paper model. Jessie showed her some pictures of my more recent builds and she showed a lot of interest in the Zimmerman Bakery model. The other day, she called and asked if I could make a representation of the 'Zimmerman' that could go in a frame; turns out she is a great-great Granddaughter of Joseph's.
This is what I came up with:

Some of my builds-9-25-2016-007cropped.jpg Some of my builds-9-25-2016-007.jpg

Sorry for the glare, but I couldn't find a good place to grab some quick shots of it before she took it home.
I used a one and a half inch deep 8" X 10" display box from Dollar General. I had a façade already built as a beta build. I added 3/4" brick textured sides to it and black roof and base (they won't be seen most of the time). For the background, I used the cover of a two pocket student folder. I made the tag in my publisher program and layered it up. Sprayed everything with several light coats of satin matt Krylon clear coat before mounting it in the case.
She had made an offer of payment when we first talked and we agreed on a price. When she came to pick it up, I was surprised that she gave me a tip!
She was very pleased with the result. This is the first time I've sold one of my models (or a part of one)! Her happy, and me getting a little compensation turned the work week from h... into a decent weekend. Two good ones in a row..... I better knock on wood!
Have a Great Day and Model Away! George
Old 09-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Lessee here, Make a really great model (which you did) + get paid AND tipped for it (which you did) = It doesn't get better than this!!!!
George you have the great good fortune of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right skills.
To quote Miles L,
Model on!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I like the concept (and the model) of the low-relief building model in a frame.

Don
Old 09-26-2016, 03:44 PM

Back to the task at hand

Alright, took a little too much time doing some design work last night instead of sleeping. Had a few hours between jobs this morning, so instead of sleep, I had to print off a page and see how it looked.....
Some of my builds-9-26-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-9-26-2016-002.jpg Some of my builds-9-26-2016-004.jpg

Right side is cut out, windows and basement grate in, and it is attached to the façade. Starting to look like a house. I think I'll hold off on the portico until I have all the walls up the base installed. I'm thinking it might be easier to check it's placement that way. Hey, it's a learning process. This is the beta build and that's what they're far! So, this evening, I may try a little sleep; 'Hi, my name is George and I'm a card modeler".

Guys, that little sale Saturday made me feel pretty darn good. Jessie (Daughter) called while I was typing this post. Her co-worker wants another one to give to her parents for their anniversary in a few weeks. Well, I remember a saying we used a lot in the 80's; 'Sleep is over rated'.

Everyone have a Great Day!! George
Google Adsense