PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A fine-looking building and a fine-looking model.

Don
Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Can't say it any better than that.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Gotta... work.... ON MODEL!

Had no time this week to work on the model(s) this week. I was 'Jonesn' really bad by this morning. Just couldn't wait to cut things out.... Glue.... AAHHH.....

Ok, enough of that. Made time this morning to get the walls up and the floor bases in. I'm happy with the way it came together, for the most part. I tried something I've not done on my own designs before. I used slots and tabs to join the back of the main house to the 'el' side. I thought that would be easier to keep things aligned and square than just a glue tab. It was quicker going together, but I couldn't get that nice tight fit on the walls that I like. Of course this was my first stab at it and I saw a few things I can do differently. I will be building this one again to try and get it right.
Some of my builds-10-2-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-10-2-2016-004.jpg Some of my builds-10-2-2016-005.jpg Some of my builds-10-2-2016-006.jpg Some of my builds-10-2-2016-007.jpg

As of right now, I'm ready to make the sub roofs. Once that is attached, I will start on the portico. I'm also thinking this will be the last building I design with Publisher. Seems it's not a good choice to use if I want to expand my horizons. A lot of free time has been spent working around in Inkscape this week. Hopefully, I'll start designing with it soon. Don't look for any large buildings at first. I'm going to go back to some of my first tries at designing. One, they are small, for the most part; Two, they are in dire need of reworking with a little more experience under my belt.
Some of my builds-10-2-2016-008.jpg Some of my builds-10-2-2016-009.jpg

Anyway, this is what I was able to knock out today. Need to try and catch up on the needs of the household. But, I can always look longingly in to the work room..........
Have a Great Day and Model Away!!!! George
Old 10-09-2016, 07:13 AM

Taking a break from the videos, tutorials and self-training to actually WORK on a model!
Some of my builds-10-09-2012-001.jpg Some of my builds-10-09-2012-003.jpg
I applied the sub-roofs yesterday; so now I need to get started on that beautiful portico. I've started-Did get the lower porch built with it's piers. Designed and printed the columns and upper porch just a little while ago, so maybe later today I can post more pics of the progress!

Some of my builds-10-09-2012-005.jpg Some of my builds-10-09-2012-007.jpg Some of my builds-10-09-2012-008.jpg Some of my builds-10-09-2012-011.jpg

That's the extent of this models progress (or lack thereof) last week. I do intend on getting a little more done this coming week!!!

Everyone have a Great Day and Model Away! George
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM

The Update

Whatta week! And that was said in my best Bugs Bunny accented voice! But we did make progress on all fronts; even the Farnsley-Moreman house! Got the porches and columns up. Tried several different ways to taper them, but the program I'm using for design work right now has limitations and getting them thin was not possible. Did make a note of that in my design notes. (When I do this one again, I will be changing over to a more robust utility.)

Some of my builds-10-15-2016-002.jpg Some of my builds-10-15-2016-003.jpg Some of my builds-10-15-2016-004.jpg Some of my builds-10-15-2016-005.jpg Some of my builds-10-15-2016-006.jpg

Once the porches were attached, we added the portico roof. With all the upper sub roofs on, we will soon start on the back porch. Beginning to look a little more like it's prototype.

Some of my builds-10-15-2016-008.jpg Some of my builds-10-15-2016-009.jpg

That's about all we got done here this week. Did deliver the second Zimmerman shadow box yesterday, so that is out of the way. Now to finish my first project designed in Inkscape; I really don't have time for a job, but my wife probably would object to me just working on models! Oh well.

Everyone have a Great Day! George
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice to see you George. You're making good progress, especially considering how real life interferes with your model work.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Nice to here from you too! Things are starting to slow at work. For some reason, I like modeling more than work! Can you imagine? My boss just doesn't understand why!
George
Old 10-29-2016, 06:32 PM

sittin' on the back porch

After a long delay, I finally coerced the carpenters to come back and get the porch posts and sub-roof on. Well, it was a few German brews and my wife's fried chicken that got 'em back, but the work got done!

Some of my builds-10-29-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-10-29-2016-002.jpg Some of my builds-10-29-2016-005.jpg

The next step will be to get the roofers over to do there thing. The house originally had a cedar shake roof. Sometime in the 1870's, they put a tin roof on and when they restored her, that's what they went with. I haven't made up my mind on which roof to depict. The tin roof 'models' better-it adds texture and looks cool. I cannot get that textured look out of shake shingles at this scale (1/87), but they are down right colorful! That will be the next decision to be made.

On a different front, I'll share a few pics of the first model I've done completely in Inkscape. I thought it would be best to go back to some of my very early attempts at designing my own models. They are very simple and kinda' plain, but learning a completely new program, they were exactly what I needed to work on. This was the first rendering of my Great Grandfathers workshop. I've already gone back and made some suggested changes, so the next build will be a little different from this. But, I am learning something new!

Some of my builds-10-24-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-10-24-2016-003.jpg Some of my builds-10-24-2016-005.jpg

That's all till next time - Everyone Have a Great Day! George
Old 10-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I'll add my thanks for sharing all the great models. I'm looking forward to seeing your next project. And please don't forget to consider the kit thing.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 PM

Had a little time to sit down with the roofers and the project foreperson (my wife), and it was decided that we would go with the tin roof. The cedar shakes are nice and colorful, but seemed a bit flat. Maybe someone knows how to add some 'pop' to a shingled type roof in this scale (1/87)? They look good, but you all know how I am!

Some of my builds-10-31-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-10-31-2016-003.jpg

The present roof on the building was put on in the early '90s and is of a modern style. They took some of the old tin panels and used them to repair the roof of one of the barns on the property. That was how I was able to come up with a color. I tried to fade the red out a bit without getting too crazy. So, maybe we will finish the roof this week, and (hopefully) get some steps on it over the weekend. She should be ready for her beauty shots next week!

missileer: I haven't forgot about trying to produce some kits. That is one of the reasons I've been teaching myself how to design these in Inkscape. The program I have been using is not vector graphics based and not too good for producing nice looking PDF's. So stay tuned!

Everyone have a Great Day and Model Away! George
Google Adsense