PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-31-2016, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Love your Great Grandfather's workshop, George; the Layout reminds me of our Garage when I was a kid!

Alan
Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Hey Alan! I spent some time in this one too, but spent more time on top of it. One set of my great Aunts and Uncles got the place after GG passed on. As it was just three doors down from my Grandparents, anytime something needed fixed, replaced, etc. any and all of us grandkids were 'employed' to help the grown-ups complete the task. And considering that the whole d*** block were relatives of some kind, the older us kids got, the more they found for us to do! As much as we complained then, me and the cousins that are still around talk about 'those good ole days'.
Have a great day my friend! George
Old 11-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Still beathing..... still working

Man! Has it been that long! How time flies when you got bills to pay.

Finally..... here are the pics of the Farnsely-Moremen home with a proper roof on her. This is a representation of the roof that was put on in in the 1870's. The original was cedar shake. In fact, everything that went into building this home came from Mr. Farnsely's 200 acres (at that time) of land with the exception of the glass panes in the windows; those came down river from Pittsburgh. The craftsmen that built it were slaves owned by Farnsely. Daniel Webster referred to it as a 'most excellent brick house' when it was completed in 1837. Gabriel Farnsely died in 1849 a bachelor.
In 1862, Alanson and Rachel Moremen purchased the now 400 acres of land from the estate. The place was already established as a flat boat landing and very productive farm, specializing in apples and pears (one of the few Kentucky plantations that did not grow tobacco as a source of income). The Moremen family named her 'Riverside' and increased the size of the farm to over 1500 acres by 1900. The farm and the boat landing prospered up until the 1937 flood. Flood waters had never been in the house until then, reaching the floor joists of the second floor. Between the Depression and the flood, Riversides glory days were over. Members of the family continued to live in the house until the 1960's, and on the land until it was purchased by Jefferson County, Ky. in 1989 to preserve the home and establish a park aptly named Riverside.
There's some history of the home.... now as far as the model.
I built her in my usual 1/87 scale. Very fun and challenging. I tried a few things that were different from my usual style. I've also made some revisions to the plans that might make the next build a little more accurate and less 'testy' to assemble. This was a beta build after all.....
That's why I was surprised when someone wanted to buy it. I did add paper rails to the upper portico balcony, but for some reason, I only took one photo of that and it was so blurry... well, the model is in a new home. Next one, I'll also use printer paper for the columns to get them closer to scale. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.
Some of my builds-11-19-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-11-19-2016-003.jpg

Some of my builds-11-19-2016-004.jpg Some of my builds-11-19-2016-005.jpg

Some of my builds-11-19-2016-006.jpg

I suppose that's all for the moment. I can think of a thousand other things to say or comment on, but I've already been pretty windy. Any question or comments are welcome as always.

I've got a few other buildings in the design phase right now and I'll share some quick peeks of those soon.... hopefully a whole lot quicker than the last time!

Have a Great Day and Model Away! George
Old 11-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Wideride,

Thanks for not giving up on the kits. I'll keep following along. Great buildings!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Your work continues to be excellent George. I always look forward to your most informative posts and this one was no exception. As for bills to pay, don't we all......
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
George,

Real life has also interrupted my Modeling time somewhat, but it's always a joy to stop in to read up on your latest Projects...

Alan
Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Real life gets in the way sometimes, and sometimes models get in the way of the models I want to do. I have two requests from my mom now that only need to be finished by Wednesday ...
Old 11-23-2016, 09:11 AM

And now, a short message from the designer.....

Thanks Everyone!
As promised, I have a few minutes between jobs today....

NA CHAMBER BUILDING START.pdf

This is the start of the second Zimmerman building. Also the first model I've done that is completely designed using Inkscape. I've gotten a bit further along already and have also made some changes, but I hope to get a quick build of the façade together by Sunday afternoon. I hope that you in the U.S. that celebrate our Thanksgiving Day have a safe and happy day! .... and remember to..... Model Away!
George
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Okay, I have a touch of a bug, so I'm a bit slow today. NA? North America? Not Applicable? I am just confused by the NA. Looks great though
Old 11-23-2016, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,

It is certainly a great start. And unless these old eyes deceive me, I detect a similarity with the start of A KIT!!

John
Google Adsense