Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I'll second that!

John
Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Welcome 2017!

It's a NEW YEAR and I'm as slow as ever! Thought that I might get more done this weekend, but too many 'life distractions'.

I did get the façades finished and the lintels and sills applied. Also got the sub-roofs on. I've had to go back to my design pages and make some revisions. I had changed the height of the Commerce building to mirror the prototype's, and had forgotten about that in my 'break' last month. That is why we do beta builds, right? Guess who didn't do that with the second building. Ah, come on, just guess.......... If you have been following this build, you know I did a 'stand-alone' version of the bakery. I will probably do one of the Commerce building too. I SHOULD have done that first, but I was all excited about starting a 'city block party' circa 1900!

Some of my builds-01-01-2017-010.jpg Some of my builds-01-01-2017-011.jpg Some of my builds-01-01-2017-012.jpg

I'll get the roofers and brick masons over sometime this week to get the upper portions finished, than I'll need to put the back side roofs' on. I finally found some ally pictures of buildings in the same area, so I'm sure I can do a representative depiction of what they would have looked like at the turn of the 20th century.

After that, who knows?

I hope that EVERYONE has a Great New Year! May we all get to model more in 2017! George
Old 01-01-2017, 02:51 PM

George,
These are really fantastic buildings. They could go head to head with the best plastic has to offer. Especially with the bragging rights "I assembled these from a flat sheet of paper".
John
Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work on those buildings, George. I'd like to live in that town.

Don
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM

'Ya gotta roll with 'da punches man........

After some trials and tribulations over the past few weeks (and months)......

Some of my builds-1-22-2017-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-22-2017-004.jpg Some of my builds-1-22-2017-005.jpg

...... Roofing and chimneys are finally on! I still have not started on the rear loading and door porch roofs; just got the computer up and seemingly stable this past Friday. No computer, no design work. I think that before I get to those, I might try to mount the buildings on a solid base and add some sidewalks. It's been a long time since I did that and last time was in p*****c (Sorry. I'll try and not use such language again).
I think that by 1900 the city had started using concrete for sidewalks, replacing the brick that was used when these structures were first built. But a herring-bone patterned brick walkway would look neat in front of these!
If we can keep healthy and the vehicles and computer stay running, I hope to get back to doing more actual modeling than just thinking about it!
Also, I was remiss in my last post by not thanking everyone for your comments, encouragement and support. It MUCH more fun to share this learning experience with others that are doing the same thing!
Have a Great Day and Model Away!!!! George
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Don't worry George, we understand that real life comes first. As much as we'd like for hobbies to come first, we all have to deal with it to some degree or another. Just glad that you're still posting when you can. Looking forward to your next post.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM

George,

Good to hear from you again. The buildings are really looking good! That's the nice thing about this hobby. You can leave a project for a while and come back to the same level of pleasure and excitement as the day you left it. Don't push yourself; we'll all be here to watch, no matter how long it takes. It's the building of the model that is the most fun. When it is complete, there is that slight dip where you say, "what am I going to do for my next fix".

John
Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm still breathing, so it's a good day!
Haven't had time to model this week until this morning. But I did take the camera out with me while I ran my routes this past work week. Needed to come up with a design for the back of the bakery building. The original cover is long gone, and the only picture I could find of the back side was taken during the 1910 flood. Too blurry, water too high and.... So as I was out working, I scouted a few alley overhangs over in Louisville. I have to park and enter most of my customers kitchens from the old service entrances. I'm glad that a lot of those old buildings are pretty much as they were built, as least on the service alley side!
Some of my builds-1-29-2017-001.jpg
This is the design I choose to use. It represents a cast iron bracketed overhang to protect those flour bags, sugar barrels and chocolate crates as they're being unloaded from the wagon (Yes, I would like to model a Studebaker light freight wagon to go with these, someday).
Some of my builds-1-29-2017-002.jpg Some of my builds-1-29-2017-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-29-2017-004.jpg

I also tried to capture the feel of the cast iron panels that make up the roof of the one in Louisville, but I'm not happy with it. Still looks like a tin roof to me, but I could only get pictures of the underside of the roof and they were too dark to use. I tried 'faking it' by modifying a tin texture. Oh well, I'll try that again in the near future.
That's about it for this week. I am really going to try and get some more done this week in between work. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide if I will go on with the 'block party' for the next project or do something else and come back to these. Any way will be fun for me.... as long as I can cut some cardstock!
Have a Great day and may You be able to Model Away! George
Old 01-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Glad you had the camera at the ready. I messed up when I went past a home with stonework that would have worked well on one of my projects. Forgot about it when I returned home and it is 45 minutes each way. Oops

I'd be interested in seeing your take on the Studebaker freight wagon. I'm also working on 'convincing' barrels and a couple vardos right now.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:05 PM

Watching you and Vermin King and other designers do your thing, makes me feel like the alien plant in Little Shop Of Horrors. I want to shout "FEED ME SEYMOUR, FEED ME". I am glad to see that nobody is quitting.
Google Adsense