PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,

It really is taking shape, nicely! It is going to be an outstanding model. I can sympathize; after 57 years, my wife is also very adept at selecting the right button.

John
Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Color on the North Wing

Real quick post. Add the latest colors from the new Harrison Brothers & Company, Town and Country, Ready Prepared Paints Catalog of 1869! This is most likely one of the combinations of colors recommended by the good people down at the New Providence (now Borden) Building Supplies and Hardware Merchandise store! They tell me that the Grays and Browns are the 'it' colors for distinguished, country cottages, such as ours this year!

Some of my builds-6-21-2017-001.jpgSome of my builds-6-21-2017-002.jpgSome of my builds-6-21-2017-003.jpgSome of my builds-6-21-2017-004.jpg

In all seriousness, I know the Grey is right for the siding, some of it was under 15 coats of white in the 70's. As far as the trim paint, what little of it was still there when I lived up there; well, it was a dark earth tone, but how dark, or light, it was is up for discussion. I did consult the Harrison Samples Cards for 1869-70 and this really was the hot, trendy colors for a home like this! Also note the entry revision; good thing the wife's brain cells are still in proper order because I was mixing up my houses from over the years. Yes, I 'came of age' in the 1970's, that's why I don't remember a lot of it

Anyway, some progress and fun being had in the 'ol river city of New Albany tonight!
As always..... comments, suggestions, etc. are always welcome.

Everyone have a Great Day!!!! George
Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Have you considered using velum for the windows and have it lighted?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
The colors don't strike me as trendy, esp. nowadays, but then I remember paisley prints and green & orange kitchens and paneled basements and afros on white guys and tube socks and shudder. Your colors could soitanly be worse.

Actually I think they're kind of nice and homey, no, not homely, homey.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 PM

If I remember correctly, my Grandmother's house in Toledo was gray with a dark green trim. They did have some "trendy" combinations back then. But your model looks great as dressed.

John
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
The colors don't strike me as trendy, esp. nowadays, but then I remember paisley prints and green & orange kitchens and paneled basements and afros on white guys and tube socks and shudder. Your colors could soitanly be worse.

Actually I think they're kind of nice and homey, no, not homely, homey.
Hey, don't knock the paisley bellbottoms; I owned a set or two of those. (Along with my green leisure suit.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM

A little progress.......

I know what your thinking, D**n little progress! Hey, it's summertime in the big valley and we own a old home. I've been building with prototype materials instead of cardstock!

Here's the shots of the South wing. Got it done here and there as I could. Also a shot of one of the Main hall section with textures added. The Bay Window add-on is going to take a while; all those stain glass colors to add!
Some of my builds-7-02-2017-001a.jpgSome of my builds-7-02-2017-002a.jpgSome of my builds-7-02-2017-003a.jpgSome of my builds-7-02-2017-004.jpg

VK, I may try that on a few of the simpler models and see if I can pull it off; this one would look neat lit up, wouldn't it? I'm also thinking of the 'haunted' version; ghostly green shining thru the upper windows...

elliott & missileer; Brown and Green earth tone polyester leisure suits, bell-bottom pants, silk shirts with only three buttons, (those ghastly hip huggers for guys - didn't look bad on the gals!), and yes, for a very, very short time, the 'afro' on top of my head. My mother-in -law had the 'avocado' and orange kitchen, at least the wife and I avoided that peculiar trend of the '70s. And to think, we thought we were soooo Coool! Maybe there was too much smoke and to much powdery substances going around!

Will try and update later in the week; the porch re-construction is nearly finished and the other projects around here are not nearly as daunting as that! Every one have a safe Independence weekend (US readers) and I hope you have a great day! George
Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 PM

East and North walls of Main Hall in color!

I found myself up very early this morning. Actually, the time that I generally get up for work (3:30-4:00AM). So, with the wife still snoozing and quiet being the order for the morning, I was able to do a little coloring and cutting before she awoke!

Some of my builds-7-04-2017-001.jpgSome of my builds-7-04-2017-002.jpgSome of my builds-7-04-2017-003.jpgSome of my builds-7-04-2017-004.jpg

The section of walls I'm working on now has the bay windows on the 'wing' that I am calling the east wing (only because it faced east; no hidden message here!) Also the north facing wall of the 'Main Hall' (that is what my aunt called it and it stuck. It was the huge dinning room, a 'music room' towards the side with the bay windows and the grand staircase on the west side of the hall).

Some of my builds-7-04-2017a-001.jpgSome of my builds-7-04-2017a-002.jpg

As you can see, the 'North Wing' and the Bay Windows will be glued in there respective spots before I fold the walls in and glue them to the floor (or base) of the model. I found it much easier to do them this way than fight with the fully assembled center section. And yes, I scored the walls and tabs before I put the windows in. While everything is still flat, I put the shutters on as well. You'll note that I write messages to myself. Sometimes I forget! I will continue to blame it on the 1970's and not my age!

That's all we've got accomplished so far this week. I hope to be able to steal a little time later on to get it all glued up! If you were in the States, I hope you had a great holiday. To everyone else on this wonderful forum, I hope you had a great day and may the rest of the week be more of the same! Gotta' go to bed now; 4;00AM comes way too quick anymore!

George
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM

A little more......

I had more time on my hands than I thought possible this morning, so.... Here are some pictures of the bay windows going into there respective spots. Also shots of the bay trim being applied. I had forgotten that I had reduced the width of the bay proper. I started applying the trim and realized they were a bit too big. What is that? DRY FIT, DRY FIT and DRY FIT again! Oh well, that why we do beta builds, right? I trimmed 'em down some and they didn't turn out too bad. Did go to the parts sheet and corrected the oversight.

Some of my builds-7-05-2017-001.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-002.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-003.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-004.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-005.jpg

Even some 'beauty shots' of the completed bay window assembly.

Next up, I attached the Bay and North Wing assemblies to the Main Hall walls. Once that was finished, we fold and glued the walls and floors together to create one half of the Farmhouses' outer walls!

Some of my builds-7-05-2017-006.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-008.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-009.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-010.jpgSome of my builds-7-05-2017-011.jpg

All things considered, I'm pleased with the way my little detour from the 'norm' is turning out.
The next step in this journey is to print and cut the south and west walls of the Main Hall. Not sure how quick that will happen... as I said, I had more time between jobs today than I thought I'd have.... Means I probably missed a customer... Na, not me!
Let me hear any comments and I hope everyone has a Great Day!
George
Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work!

You really do a fine job of capturing the look of these wonderful old buildings.

Don
Google Adsense