PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
WOW! A little more done on the farmhouse.

I cannot believe I've had the opportunity to post this much, this week! Of course that means other things are still awaiting my attention, but hey, I cannot work out in the rain now, can I?! (No comments about melting OR floating; we stay family friendly here!).

Got the windows, trim and shutters up on the south/west facing Main Hall sections this morning. I went ahead and glued the South Wing to them and attached that assembly to the half we had done yesterday. Viola! All the walls are up!

Some of my builds-07-06-2017-007.jpgSome of my builds-07-06-2017-008.jpgSome of my builds-07-06-2017-009.jpg

As you can see, I've already got the roof on the Main Hall, but I took a picture of the bracing I'm trying out on this model.
Last week or so, another forum member posted a link to a PDF book entitled 'The Art of Architectural Modeling in Paper' by T. A . Richardson. The book was originally published in 1859. Now I try to get my hands on every Carpenters' Guide, Home Platte Book, Builders' Guides and Blue prints from the 19th and early 20th century, be they originals or reprints.
They have helped me understand how these old structures were put together and why (We've also owned, and own, historic homes, so they've helped in the restoration process over the years). To get back on point, when I saw this book, I thought it would just be neat to see how those guys had to do it before the advent of readily available cardstock and tools. I was not disappointed. But then I came across a chapter on how Mr. Richardson controlled the sagging and bowing on his models.
On some of my larger models, this has been an intermittent problem; not all have had the issue, but it something I and a friend have discussed and something that is in the back of my mind as I'm gluing up a long, Victorian, two story wall. Seems that T.A. used a 'tray' or shelf insert up near the top of the walls. On that, he would cut an angle piece of card to brace the peaks of the gable walls.
In the photos, you can see I decided to give a 1859 solution to a representation of a 1860's built home. I cut the trays just tight enough that there was a bit of resistance sliding them into the body of the model. I put a 1/8 inch lip on all four sides. I stopped when the lip was just at the top of the walls. It was surprising how much this stiffened the outer walls. I applied just enough glue on each tab (a toothpick drop here and there along the lip) to hold it in place. Cut some angle braces (and one down the center for good measure) and it seems to be a better method than the way I had been doing it.
Just wanted to share this with you. Of course, only time will tell if it works any better, or at all. But I thought it kind of neat to apply an old method to some modern modeling materials. If anyone has thoughts or questions......

Everyone have a Great Day!
George
Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking good. My next design won't require the bracing, but I will keep it in mind
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,

Really shaping up, beautifully. I have always liked windows with some pizazz (domed, peaked, round, etc.). Add shutters like yours and you have a real eye catcher. That house must have been a lot of fun to visit.

John
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
George -

Great post on building techniques: 19th century real world and 21st century paper modeling.

I keep learning new things and seeing buildings in a new and different light with each of your informative posts.

Don
Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Porches fixed in real life and modeling....

Thank You Don, VK and John!

Weather cooperated for awhile today, and was able to get back to the real life porch project; only two short rail runs left. Once it got up to 96 degrees Fahrenheit, I gladly choose to work on a much smaller scale!

Got all the sub-roofs on and turned our attention to the front porch.

Some of my builds-7-7-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-7-7-2017-002.jpg

I decide to cut out a little more of the arch between the posts (John, I've always liked the Gothic Style myself). One, to show it off; it was a prominent feature of the front entry. And two, just to show my wife I could do it. No, I don't believe I will attack the decorative railing. If someone else would like to cut all that detailing out (at HO scale), than just let me know.

I'll wait to add the railing on top of the porch until I get the roofing down on top. If not, I'll probably have to replace it at least twice! I did simplify the posts a bit. Easier to cut out, looks cleaner, (to me) and still has an air of dignity.
Suppose to be much cooler and a lot less humid around here this weekend, so I doubt much else will happen with the Farmhouse till sometime next week. Hope everyone is enjoying this journey as much as I am!

Have a Safe and Great Day!!!
George
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It definitely says 'C'mon in. Kick off your boots and stay awhile'
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Enjoying the journey with you George. You're a terrific tour guide!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
It would be nice sitting on the porch sipping a cold beverage of your choice, looks very inviting.
By the way, great build.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys!
In my younger years, I did hoist a few beverages while sitting on that once grand porch!
It has been a very busy and extremely hot and humid week here in the valley. Haven't felt like doing much more that takin' a shower and goin' to bed when we've got home. Maybe things will settle down a bit this coming week and we can call the roofers over to start on that part of the build. Maybe offer up a few drinks on the 'ol porch, maybe.
Have a great day!
George
Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Roof & Chimneys......

Well, after knocking on a few doors and buying a few tins of Weiss beer from the New Albany Brewing Company, I finally convinced the roofers to climb up and put on that new-fangled, raised seam iron roofing. The architects out of Chicago just raved about it's fireproof qualities and how low maintenance it will be! It will only need to be painted every 20 years if using a premium quality paint and will likely last a hundred years!
The brick masons weren't real wild about working on a roof with such steep pitch, but that light German beer greased the gears of courage!

Some of my builds-7-19-2017-006.jpgSome of my builds-7-19-2017-005.jpgSome of my builds-7-19-2017-004.jpgSome of my builds-7-19-2017-003.jpgSome of my builds-7-19-2017-002.jpg

OK, back to reality for a moment; I did try to replicate the look of the raised seam 'iron' roof that was on the house. One of the early 'decorative' tin roof styles offered across the country through architectural and building supply companies (an up-and-coming type of business after the civil war). As mentioned above, it's resistance to fire and age (if cared for properly), were huge selling points to potential customers and it was the latest trend in American building practice! The roof on the farm house was 'over & under'; that is one panel was fixed low against the roof's wooden framework, and the next panel was attached over top of the raised seam and bolted together. This raised the panel about 1 inch above the framework and required an extra strip of wood lath underneath. For years, I just thought that whomever put the roof on had screwed up on the instillation. Most raised seam roofs you find of this period, the panels are flat against the framework. But in my researching of early tin and steel roof products, I found this style offered by several companies throughout the mid-west. The idea being that the up-raised panels allow the space under the roof to 'breath', thus reducing the amount of heat build-up in the summer. They do not mention that such an arrangement would make the same area much colder in the winter, unless some sort of insulation was used. The 'insulation' of the day, if used at all, was sawdust and horse hair. This was a great place for wasps, bees, squirrels, raccoons and all kind of other wildlife to call home. This style roof fell out of favor by the middle of the 1870's. I wonder why?
Well, I can attest to the fact that the roof did last over a hundred years, even with poor maintenance. I can also tell you that when those north by north west winds howled on winter nights, the upstairs would get downright frosty! (The February of 1977-ice storm of three inches followed by two weeks of below zero temps. Such fun times!).

The chimneys were typical of there day, each flu serviced two fireplaces with the exception of the south flu. In actuality, it was most likely wider than the others because it serviced two fireplaces and two wood burning cook stoves (one in the basement, which was the summer kitchen and one in the first floor kitchen). I just liked the symmetry of the four like that (Nod to VK!).

A note on the roof; In the pics you'll see a silvery grey color around some of the 'seams' of the roof panels. I used a silver metallic felt pen to try and match the look of the lead soldering that the roofing crew would have used to seal the roof. I will not be using that method again. Way to shiny. I also used it to edge the roof panels; I will go back to a light grey.
Yacked enough for today; as always questions, comments, etc. are always welcome.
Have a Great Day!
George
Google Adsense