PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Nicely done. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thank You, VK. I hope your Thanksgiving was enjoyable too!
Also wishing you a Very Great Day!
George
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 PM

Back again!

OH MY!
Has it really been 2 months! How time flies when your company cannot retain enough employees! OK-enough whining, George-get to the fun stuff!

I have not had a lot of modeling time, but what I've been able to sneak in has been fun and a bit different from my usual fare.
For Christmas, our Grandson Eli, received a carrying case to store his unbuilt models and store his tools. He also wanted to build a castle; so we down loaded the walls, gates and towers from Mauther's Papermau site and included those in his case. Needless to say, it didn't take him long to start construction on those walls. (Sorry, I don't have pictures of those yet, but I will get some soon!) The next logical build is something for those strong wall to protect.
Again turning to Papermau for some medieval looking buildings (again, pictures will come later) Eli came across another site that had some neat little buildings that would fit right into his walled village.
The site is at inkjetpaperscissors.blogspot.ca ; The models are designed by GrendelsMother64 and has a slightly Viking feel to them. The series is called 'LAKETOWN'. All the models seem designed for role playing games, which is a larger scale than I usually work in.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-001.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-002.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-004.jpg
Here are the MEAD HALL and HOUSE #1. The gently bowed roofs of both buildings add a distinctive look to the structures. The ridge boards added a further uniqueness to the models. These were fun buildings for he and I to assemble New Years weekend; just enough challenge with the roof line, but not to complicated. We also added floors and interior braces for stability.

The next set of houses, numbers 3 & 4, (I think), we played around with some different roofing textures and creating some 'clan' ridge boards with several types of animals depicted, both real and mythical.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-005.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-008.jpg
As you can see, I couldn't resist insetting at least one doorway. What can I say? And, of course, you all knowing how I am, Eli asked me to come up with a design of my own for his growing village.

The house has a medieval look to it. I did two versions, one with stacked stone texture in between the posts and one depicting cordwood and mortar walls.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-010.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-001.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-002.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-005.jpg
I kinda' went over board, as is my MO, after the first, simple build. Insetting the doors and windows and adding separate shutters, but what the hay! We were having some fun the past few weekends! All and all, something different for me and I've gotten to spend time with Eli and the other Grand kids. (By the way, one of the Grand Daughters is showing a real interest in cardstock modelling, too!)

That has been what I've been up to so far this new year. Not much time during the week to get any modelling in. The only way we got this much done is thanks to a month of below or at zero temperatures around the ol' Ohio Valley region! Not working in the yard when it's that cold. Nope, no way, not doin' it! (Unless Mama tells me I am).
I've done some preliminary sketches of the next building in the Main Street Block Party and hope to get back to that soon. That is unless Eli comes up with some more ideas!
Everyone have a Great week and get some models done!
George
Old 01-31-2018, 03:20 PM

When I did a playset for my cousin's grandkids for How to Train Your Dragon, GM64's Laketown came in handy, Berk, smack dab on the Meridian of Misery

His vehicles and Irish Round Tower are favorites of mine

Can't beat getting to share your hobby with the grandkids
Old 02-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I love all of your little buildings. Good job!
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Thank You VK & Tom.
It was fun to spend time with Grandkids and do something a bit different.
This past weekend we did Pinewood Derby cars for 3 of them. That, too, was fun.
Looking forward to getting back in the groove with my own little thing, though!
Hoping that you both, and everyone else, have a great week!
George
Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Great set of buildings! And it is great to see the next generation is carrying on the challenge. I am losing my only model builder (grandson). He is heading off the OCS for a career in the Army. The recruiters set it up so that I will be able to swear him in! You can tell that I am not proud of him at all. Anyway, keep building with the grandkids and, above all, have fun!

John
Old 02-04-2018, 06:41 PM

Wow! That is quite an honor
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Thanks, John.
And I agree with VK. Happy to hear you get to do that honor (as I bet he is too)!
I remember my Grandfathers swearing me..... Oh, wait. Sorry. They were just swearing AT me. Totally different thing. Forget I brought it up.
George
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 AM

Too much reality, not enough model time!!!!

Good Morning Everyone!
Well, it has been too long.
Between work issues (the company has had three different manager changes and been sold twice this year!) and the home needing, (no, Demanding!), attention, it has been a battle between the 'want to' do things and the 'HAVE TO' do things. As my Dad and Grandfathers would say, "That's life, son!"
Now that's not to say there has been no model activity happenin' here; just limited to a few stolen hours here and there. Grandson Eli has come over a few days and we've worked on more buildings for his ever expanding (and evolving) castle project. And I continue to take pictures and gather information about older, historic buildings around the Metro area; which is the perfect segue into the main subject of this post.
I start a new account a few months back, that is in Louisville's old historic downtown district. The building that houses the restaurant is 'new' (1940's) compared to those around it, so while I'm waiting for one of the owners to get there and let me in, I have taken the opportunity to take pics of the different homes and business structures in the neighborhood. When they arrive, they usually see me happily snapping away with the camera. Of course, questions are asked and my explanation that I do models of buildings usually leads to the fact that my medium of choice is card stock. Quizzical looks usually follow, and I'm thereafter marked as one of the 'strange' vendors that pass through the doors.
Here is the building I choose to try and break my 'builders funk' of the past four or five months:
Some of my builds-7-21-2018-012.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-013.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-014.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-015.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-016.jpg

I didn't inset the doors and windows like I normally do: I'll do that in a later build. The purpose was to be a quick, and somewhat easy, exercise to get me back into the design phase of this fun hobby!
A little background on the structure: Built in 1898 for J.A. Welsh as the home for his plumbing business, by 1905 he had sold the enterprise to his former foreman, W.R. Abbott. This is the time period I choose to depict; I readily found photos on-line from one of U of L's vast online digital library's showing the building as it appeared in 1906.
So, on a few of these super hot and, drenching humid, days we've had here in our lovely valley, I put this little model together. As is my preference, it is in HO scale (1/87).
Now this leads us to the second half of this post. And I heard the groans out there! "You mean there's more???" Yes, as Paul Harvey used to say, here is the "Rest of the Story".
Remember the restaurant owners? Several Fridays ago, I took this model with me to show them the end result of my picture taking and also show them that card stock can look as good, or better, than the plastic counterparts. After some much needed ego boosting 'Cools', and 'That's Dope!', I was asked if I could do their place. Not only did they request a model, they offered to pay for it! Here is their place:
Some of my builds-7-21-2018-021.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-020.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-018.jpgSome of my builds-7-21-2018-019.jpg

It's a former garage attached to a much older building that was home to a tire dealership from 1948 to 1998. (One day, I will model it too). I just modeled the three sides that can bee seen, leaving the back side 'blank'. Again, about the simplest style model we are familiar with as card modelers; walls, floor (or base) and a roof that is recognizable. No '3-D' effect, as my wife likes to say. Again, a quick and fun model that pushed my texture building skills just a touch further than I had gone before. I spent more time matching the exterior paint than anything else on this project.
Now as a side note, Daddy Rich's is the result of a 'incubator' program that the city uses to create and promote local entrepreneurs and their dream of owning a business. These four young men are promoting themselves in some very creative ways, including interviews on local cable access talk shows. Last Friday, they took the model with them on such a show. They identified me as the 'artist' who created it for them----- WOW! So Cool! Man did I ever need that!
So that's it. After a long 'drought' from designing and building my own stuff, and after making myself 'get over' the real life stuff, I hope to be able to carve out a few hours every week to 'relax' at the computer and workbench.
Hope I haven't put to many of you to sleep with my rambling this morning. As always, questions and comments are welcome. I miss the banter between my fellow molders and friends!

I hope Everyone has a Great Day!
George
Google Adsense