PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-29-2016, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I imagine that they would. I've had a couple folks on the board of the Cole Camp, Missouri museum expressing interest in me doing models of a couple historical structures.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thanks Sakrison. Yes, they can be challenging, but I enjoy it. I think that is a major component of this hobby. No matter our interests, I've noticed that most everyone does research on their subject model. So when we design or build we're expanding our skills and maybe learning something we didn't know. As far as the historical society, I hadn't given that any thought. They may be interested. So far, I've just shared my models with family and a few neighbors. See, now your starting to push my boundaries a little further! Thank you, again. Have a Great Day and get some modeling in!
- George
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 AM

I just noticed that I had posted a picture with no mention of what it was. I'll blame it on short, stubby fingers and not brain fade..........

This was not intended to be a complete model, it was one of my experiments in building up and layering to add depth and weight to a model. My wife liked it and wanted me to finish it out. What made that a bit difficult is that the façade is as you see it from street level; the street being the only level place cut on a hill side. There are two more floors below what you see. So, as my high school art teacher would say, I took some 'artistic license' to model it as a single story building.
The reason I wanted to do the front is it is a very old building - in my subsequent research, I found it was built before 1865 - and the oldest structure still standing in that area of Louisville. It is in the 'Butchertown' neighborhood and as the name implies, was once the hub of the Derby City's bustling slaughter house and meat packing trade. Today, the old homes still sit on the upper side of the hill, while the businesses (mostly Night Clubs) are located on the down hill side.
The building was home to Wultzer meats from 1867 to 1889 before it was bought out by a bigger firm. That bigger firm became Fisher's Meats ( if your from this region of the U.S.- 'The bacon makin' people' ads and jingles are still running around your head!) The façade is built of Indiana limestone and Louisville Brick Company 'fire proof' brick. Very elegant for such a business and in a time were functionality won out over looks. All the other buildings down there were built in the 1890 to 1920's range.
The model is a bit rough, I was still (and forever will be) learning how to not only design, but put models together in a more realistic way. It is by far the largest one I've done, so far, but only hints at the true size of the prototype. One day I intend to go back and do the model again; this time a I've got a bit more experience under my belt.
Have A Great Modeling Day! - George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-022.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-023.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-024.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-025.jpg  
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 PM

On the bench-Grocery Store

I had intended to get going on this last week, but I ended up dealing with computer issues instead...... you all know how fun that can be.
I 'build' all my work in MS Publisher. The textures are 'massaged' in the Gimp, Inkscape or, for simple work, a very old Paint Shop Pro 7. I try my best to use photographs taken at the actual building; brick work, windows, doors, etc. But as some of you have noticed , 1) a photographer I'm not, and 2) my camara is a good one; for the year 2000. I do pull a few textures from the web, but try my best not to.
Once I think a design is close, I'll print off a simple version to put together and see what it looks like.
Some of my builds-cardstock-models-004.jpg Some of my builds-cardstock-models-005.jpg Some of my builds-cardstock-models-008.jpg

Quick and easy assembly to check print texture, measure scale and to experiment on. If all that looks good, then I go in and start getting the windows and doors 'fitted' out for offsetting. I'll also add 'backround' to the window and door panes. Once I think it looks good, it's time to print out the (hopefully) improved model!
Start cutting, folding, gluing, fussing and drinking lots of coffee.....
Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-004.jpg Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-005.jpg Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-006.jpg Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-001.jpg Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-002.jpg

That is where I'm at today. I forgot to add that the model has to go through a rigorous inspection program. The wife looks at and tells me if she likes it or if one of the grandkids end up with it and I try again. I'll post some more progress later in the week. NOTE: I tried to get a decent pic of the façade build up, but I Hope to be doing some more like this, if anyone is interested.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I'm certainly interested, for one. Your writing makes for clear, enjoyable reading and your photos are better than you think. Practice, practice, practice. You're doing great.
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 AM

Thank you Elliott and everyone else for the encouragement. I didn't intend to do a 'build thread'. As I've said before, what I've learned has been from reading and studying photos on this site. I guess I feel that I have nothing new to offer, but then maybe there are many more around like me, watching, reading; not comfortable with participating at this point. Maybe they can catch something they can use themselves. Besides, someone else may say 'Hey George, there's an easier way!', then I add to my 'arsenal' of card modeling knowledge! Back to work and some more coffee...George
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, I'm in the learning stage, too. One thing I would suggest is that you shouldn't put off getting photos of the buildings that 'might' be on your list to build later on.

I would really have liked to have a model of the oldest tavern west of the Mississippi, but it burned. I was thinking of it when I thought I'd do the First UMC church in Sedalia, Missouri, from the golden age of steam, and was asking for photos, when it burned to the ground. I was wanting to see what I could find and then take additional photos to fill the missing areas, but that can no longer happen.

Maybe I am just bad luck ...
Old 08-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're not bad luck VK. Coincidence? Maybe. Bad timing? Certainly. Things happen over which we have no control and all we can do is live and learn from them. But you know this. Cheer up guy, things are better than they seem. You just hit a bad spot.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Oh, I know where your coming from VK. And I have been getting off my duff and doing what you suggested. With me it was a neighborhood grocery that had been built in 1870. It was in great shape, well kept, in a city that is suppose to be hip on 'repurposing' historic buildings. My wife kept on me about getting pictures, but I kept putting it off. Been there for over a hundred years, be there later. Well, it had become a small bar in the 70's, in a neighborhood that was being slowly bought up by a developer (brother of a council member). Next I know, the local paper is shouting headlines about a well connected contractor buying and demolishing a historic building without the proper revue. I did learn a lesson. Now the only pics I can get is from the library. Live and learn, I suppose. Talking pics, here is one of the bakery that I modeled. As I said, it is in need of someone to rescue it before it is gone too.
Some of my builds-old-lipps-printing-building-002.jpg
The building next to it was built two years later also by Mr. Zimmerman. I am currently working on the design for it. I'll do a 'stand alone' like the bakery, but I am going to do one of them as they are in reality (attached, that is).
Also, once done, I'll give some of the history behind the grocery store that's on the bench (desk) now. It holds a special place in my family history. OK, I had a few hours between jobs again today, but break time is nearly over. You all have a great day and we'll be around later today.
Happy Modeling! - George
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM

Alright. I did get a little modeling in yesterday, but ran out of time for posting (days are too short when you have a job!). I had all the windows and doors in place, so it was time to put the walls together.Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-009.jpg
I do not use attached glue tabs on my side walls. They are there on my initial design for the quick bata build, but when I do a 'presentable' version, I cut them off and make my own glue tabs. 'Boxing' the windows and doors like I do, I have to trim and cut around them to make the tabs lay completely flat. I find it much easier to do when they're not attached to the wall and I like the much tighter fit, and with the glue jig it is fairly easy to do. Now, I DO like glue tabs on the base and roof portions of a wall. With the door openings cut out, like I do, the tab at the base helps keep that small strip of card between the 'ground' and the door sills from wanting to pop outward. If you notice in some of the pics though, somebody forgot to leave all of them on when he was cutting them out.
I'll attach one side wall to the front and the other to the back.Once the wall section have dried, we join the two halves, also using the jig. One note I'll make to myself; don't build up the façade until after the walls are up. I had to shim the front up to glue the side to it, which just added a bit more work to the process. And too much card between the magnets and the jig means less pressure on the glue points.
As you can see, I added the base, making sure it is square (Using a square, of course). Then I added some stiffeners to the interior. I like using cereal boxes for this. Good and heavy. Not only stiffens the walls, but adds some weight to the over all model. I usually will put a sub roof on using the same material. Again for stiffening the upper wall section, added weight and a nice flat surface to glue the card that becomes our roof. I did add the cap over the façade as my last modeling activity for the day. That's all I've got right now. Hope you all enjoy it!
Have a Great Day! -George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-008.jpg   Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-0014.jpg   Some of my builds-7-30-2016-grocery-store-0021.jpg  
Google Adsense