PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hi George,
Your grocery store is coming along nicely. Would you elaborate on your glue jig please? Are the magnets rare-earth? It looks like the square you use is something like a bookend. What is it? How do you set it up and use it? Enough questions ain't it?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
The Jig is Up!

Oh my! as George Takei would say. First, for those who may not know, a glue jig is a assembly tool to aid in... well, gluing. There are as many different configurations as there are glue joints, nearly all of them involve the use of some kind of clamp. In this case, the clamps are magnets.
Now you can buy jigs like this, but I like making my own tools (my wife uses a term that refers to my frugalness). I just needed a simple, quick way of gluing walls together at 90 degree angles to produce a smooth joint line. If one is going to use magnets as a clamp, then finding a metal base would be the simplest way to go. I found the case to an old CB radio; nice flat bottom, two short, strait sides.
Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-003.jpg

Not everyone has a old CB radio laying around any more, so lets look at what else could be used. As long as it is metal and a magnet sticks to it; old computer bases and sides, top covers for stereos, vhs players, a tall sided steel brownie pan. As long as it is thick enough to not bend when you lightly press against it, it will probably work.

I wanted to have the back tall enough so that I could 'clamp' a cardstock wall strait up and not flop and get in the way. I had an old, thin metal sign with a magnetized back, the kind people used before vinyl door signs came along.
Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-004.jpg
There again, all you need is something strait. You can always use double sided tape to attach it to your base. But I do like the fact that I can remove mine if necessary. The back also ensures that I have a perfectly flat edge between the bottom and the side.

The magnets come from a sheet like you can get at Michaels, Ben Franklin or many other craft stores (Rare Earth. Wasn't that a record label and a rock group from the late 60's?). People use them to make 'refrigerator art'.
Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-006.jpg

I cut some of the sheet into one inch squares and glued the pieces back to back. By doing them like this, it adds some 'heft' and makes them 'pull' a bit stronger. I also cut some strips.

Here is everything together and in action....

Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-007.jpg Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-008.jpg Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-010.jpg

Make sure that your work pieces are at 90 degrees. Use magnets to hold them in place while you fit your glue tab. Once the tab is glued and put in place, I put the magnets on top of the tab and press them towards the back to 'clamp' the tab down. I'll also add some to the upright side of the tab just 'cause (makes me feel better).

This is the kind of glue joint I want......
Some of my builds-glue-jig-8-03-2016-011.jpg
As always, don't over glue, it could squeeze out between the joint and ruin you work and get on your magnets. Of course the magnets can be washed with mild dish soap, but your model; well.....

This is not the most technical or concise explanation of how I made and use my jig, but I hope that it inspires someone to recycle stuff around the house to aid them in their cardstock model hobby!

Have a Great Day! - George

(Elliott- are we working at expanding my boundaries? Thank You!)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
A unique solution that I wish I'd known about years ago
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Interlude

I've had several days of modeling inactivity. Wednesday is a short work day for me (though I start at 4:00 am, I'm home by 8:00am), my beloved was off work for the first day in a month, so I wanted to spend time with her. Thursdays are my long days, 4:00 am to 3:00 pm. Not much modeling happens on Thursdays. AAHHH.... Friday! Home by 10:00 am. Too hot already to do any yard work. Mama won't be home till 4:00. A little house work and then off to my work bench!
Since I've done nothing more to the grocery building, I though I'd toss in a model I worked on last summer. Are there any 'Camelback Shotgun' home fans out there?

Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-013.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-014.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-016.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-017.jpg

These types homes are all over the Metro Louisville area. Go into any of the older neighborhoods, and you'll find at least one. This one is modeled after one just six blocks west and two blocks south of my home. When it was built in the 1880's, it looked out over the Ohio river. There are about 20 or so 'shotguns' in that particular area, both single and two story; 'Midwest high gable', like this one and 'New Orleans' flat roof styles.
I used the colors that it is painted today, but added the original shake roof. I will go back and try to make some improvements to it one day. OK. I'm going to vac the floors, than go put a roof on the grocery store; don't want the merchandise getting wet if a 'pop-up' storm rolls through this afternoon!

Have a Great Modeling Day! - George
Old 08-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Was born in Kentucky, lived all over the South and have never heard of, or seen, one of these. Shotgun houses, yes. Camelback Shotgun houses, no.
Your modeling skills are fast improving George. That is a unique and good-looking model.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2016, 01:06 PM

Thank You elliott. With the encouragement that I have received from the people on this site and here at home, I want to continue to get better at this. I could not have believed how much fun one could have building models again. Out of all the hobbies I've been involved in over the years, this one gets me excited, unlike anything else. My wife hasn't always been keen about some things I've played at before, but early on, she encouraged me to build those homes and buildings I tried to model years ago.
As far as the camelbacks, I've seen the from Wheeling, W.V. to New Orleans, La. but almost exclusively in the river towns on the Ohio and lower Mississippi. I toured one in Indianapolis years ago, and the preservationists up there though that was the only one in central Indiana.
Here are some pics of different ones around this area (one nice thing about going from job to job in the mornings-I do take my camara with me and can get shots of interesting places).

Some of my builds-camelbackna.jpg Some of my builds-brick-camelback-louisville.jpg Some of my builds-pair_of_shotgun_houses-_old_louisville.jpg

I can't find my file with the pics of the prototype for my model, but here are a few from my research folder.
Have a Great Modeling Day! - George
Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Interlude Continued

Well... Not a bad weekend. In fact a good one. Temperature and humidity down = much needed yard work. Some of the grand kids visited for awhile. Got to spend some time with the wife. All that added up to a good weekend, except no time for modeling. So, until I can make some progress on the grocery build, I'll drop another model from last winter.
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-001.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-002.jpg

I made this one for my mother. The building was torn down last December (2015). Not a very old building, being constructed in 1945, but one that always stood out around the neighborhood. It stood just 4 blocks from were I grew up. Mom and Dad built our home (themselves) on property that had belonged to my Mother's parents (Mom still lives there, Dad passed away a few years ago). When we saw they were taking it down, mom told me how that corner was where her and her little sister would stand to catch a school bus in the 40's. It always reminded her of stories about dragons, because it was a laundry company, it always had steam swirling around it. I had not known that it was Paramount Cleaners. To me, it was always Bill Elliot Sign Company (1957-1978). After that, my former scout master had his antique shop in it, Bears Den Antiques, from 1979 to 1986.
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-003.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-004.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-005.jpg
I learned something about Mom, the area I grew up in and got build a model to remember both.

Have a Great Day!......and maybe even model some! - George
Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating thread.

I always heard that "shotgun" houses were so called because if you fired a shotgun at one end, the shot would go clear through the house and out the back door.

If you can't find an old CB radio or other suitable frame, and have the means to do so, you can buy a magnetic jig from Micro-Mark and perhaps from other sources. Magnetic Gluing Jig, 10-1/4 Inch Square

Don
Old 08-10-2016, 05:18 AM

Morning Don! That's the story I was always told, but I suspect it had more to do with catching a breeze to try and stay cool in summer and compact, but comfortable, living to stay warm in winter. I lived in one for several years here in New Albany. Big difference from the 'shack' type my cousins grew up with down in Georgia.
Have a Great Day! - George
Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hi George -

Thanks for the additional info. When we visited the Meiji Museum in Tokyo, we were told that the traditional machiya Japanese houses, which were also deep but narrow, were called "houses for eels" or "eel's beds" (unagi-no nedoko). Like your shotgun houses, the old wooden Japanese houses are beautiful to my eye. Machiya | The Kyoto Project

I look forward to seeing more of your excellent buildings.

Don
Google Adsense