PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Hey Don-
Yes, I can see the appeal. Many times, plain and simple is the elegant solution. History keeps trying to tell us that, but it gets horse from shouting at us!
You have a Great Day! - George
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 AM

Back at it

Ok. Had a longer than expected break, but ready to get a little done on the old grocery today. I cut out the side of a cereal box to use as a sub roof. I like doing this to help stiffen up the upper sides of a building and it gives me a little more 'substance' to glue the actual roof to, other than just the glue tabs. I don't like a flimsy feel to a model when you pick it up. That's just me.
Attachment 292428 Attachment 292425

Next, I'll cut out the cardstock deck that will receive the roofing material itself. I guess I should have mentioned sooner that I use 110 pound cardstock (USA) for the majority of my builds. depending on how big the doors and windows are, I may print those items out on 65 pound stock. If they aren't too large, the lighter stuff is easier to work with when folding tabs to recess those parts.

Attachment 292426 Attachment 292427

I'll edge both the sub roof and deck in black; also doing the top AND bottom edges in about a one eighth inch past any overhang. I've yet to see a problem with the old Elmer's glue not holding everything down, but if an edge ever does come up, it won't be as noticeable. If you look at the upper façade, I've added the first course of brick strip to what will be a double stepped protrusion that is a neat little feature on this building. The second course will be one of the last things added; after the roof is finished and the upper coping applied.

With the roof deck on, it is time to start cutting out the roof material. The most common material use in the 1880's was tar paper. Asphalt roofing (as we call it today) was around by then, but still a bit pricey for most folks. Now keep in mind what most people today refer to as 'tar paper' is actually felt underlayment. It's a distant cousin to what was once the standard in the building industry back then. Tar paper was (and is, it's still around!) at least twice as thick and impregnated with large amounts of good 'ol, sticky tar. You didn't want to leave this stuff in direct sun on a hot day. Made it hard to handle and work with. So much for the history lesson, let's move on George.........

Attachment 292429

I've printed out the tar paper texture on sheets of printer paper. I 'tiled' the images end to end to simulate 20 foot and 30 foot (in scale) rolls. I'll cut these into strips which will be laid down just like a real roof would be, starting at the bottom and working my way up to the end of the job. The paper will be edged in black (a lot of that to do) to hide any of the paper white. Why printer paper you ask? I think it looks more prototypical (realistic). Though I don't go for the 'fine scale' appearance on my pieces, I do want people to get the feel of realism. Well, that is where I'm at right now. I'll cut and edge the sheets I printed out (more than I need for this project, but will use on future builds) and then hope that my roofers show up before it gets too hot!

Yes, I will get pics of the tar paper going down!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:33 AM

Missing Pics

Don't know what I did or how I did it, but here are the pictures that I somehow deleted......... one of those 'Dhaa" moments......
Some of my builds-grocery-building-8-14-2016-001.jpg

Some of my builds-grocery-building-8-14-2016-002.jpg

Some of my builds-grocery-building-8-14-2016-003.jpg

Some of my builds-grocery-building-8-14-2016-006.jpg

Some of my builds-grocery-building-8-14-2016-007.jpg

Have A Great Day! - George
Old 08-14-2016, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Fantastic work, George!

I've seen many Diners similar to the one you modeled all over CO and UT; I bet they're all over the US! Thanks for your narratives, also... they provide great insights and tips!

Alan
Old 08-15-2016, 09:16 AM

Thanks Alan. Yes, those Little Chef diners were all over the country. So many of them that are still around have been so heavily modified, they're hard to see. And I hope you and others can find something useful in what and how I do my models. I'm certainly no expert; in fact, haven't been card modeling that long, but I sure do enjoy it! I see your from Denver. I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Commerce City from '58 to '95, so that was always a good excuse to head out there at vacation time! Beautiful country you live in. Hope to see some of your models when you take the plunge! Have a Great Day! - George
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2016, 02:07 PM

Roof going on

Alright! The roofers did show up today (with all the storms around, I was afraid they might put me off).

I decided that I'd show the difference between printed seam lines in roll roofing and then cutting the strips into scale lengths.

Some of my builds-8-15-2016-grocery-store-001.jpg

The first five or six courses are put down as they are printed. It's hard to see in my lousy photo's, but the printed seam is there, along with some slight shade difference between the 'rolls' of paper. Hey, they don't look bad. In a lot of kits, the roof texture is printed right on the roof deck itself. Again, it makes for a nice model without spending $12.00 on a sheet of that other stuff (styrene) that you have to paint, weather...... you know.

Some of my builds-8-15-2016-grocery-store-002.jpg Some of my builds-8-15-2016-grocery-store-007.jpg

The second and third pictures show how I lay the cut pieces in a more 'realistic' manner. Not a whole lot more work, and I think it adds to the 'feel' of the model. This isn't news to most of the modelers here, but I thought I would share what and why I do things the way I do. Now once the roofers are finished, we'll add some chimneys and some vent pipes for that new fangled indoor plumbing. Sometimes I model the 'flashing' and 'boots' used to seal around both items, as they do pierce the roof and are places water can creep in and ruin the plaster!
Well, I see from those last pics that Otto, the foreman on this job, has delivered some more rolls of paper, so I better let them get at it.
Have a Great Day and Model Away! - George
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very informative posts. I'd like to live in that town.

Don
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 283.81 MB
I'm really enjoying your builds George. Great work!

The advantage of simplifying origami are twofold.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:18 AM

Thank You Don And Ken.

I'm having fun, I'm hoping other are enjoying them too!

Have a Fantastic Day! - George
Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Yes, we are enjoying them, even when we do not comment. Thanks
Google Adsense