PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thank You, John! Glad you like them. I do spend a lot of time trying find graphics that look right (about 4 hours for the barber shop). I'm not real happy with the telegraph windows, but I will keep looking for something that will work better. George
Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I think that the telegraph works very well. You would expect such a business to have a plain look. And the oblique technique makes one think that they were looking through an open type office all the way to the rear entrance.

John
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM

1900's block party continues

Thank you, for the comment, John. I still think I will 'tweak' the window pics a bit; but I always save what I have, 'J.I.C.'

Some of my builds-02-22-2017-001.jpg

I did get a bit of design work done this week, but it has been too dang nice outside for me to play indoors! I did get the rear of the building laid out, along with the doors, windows and trim. the side walls for this model are plank, as it is sandwiched between structures. The look of the back wall is pure conjecture; I have found no pictures or descriptions of how it may have appeared.
I will go ahead and do a 'stand alone' version, as it will be small and it's fresh in my mind right now. This coming weekend is going to be more 'normal' as for as weather (40's and rain-not 70's and sunny). Hopefully, we can get the doors & windows in and the walls up!
Comments and suggestions welcome! Have a Great Evening!!! George

John, PM me in the next few days and we'll come up with a plan of action.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM

Had some time last night and this afternoon to do some cuttin' and pasten'! This is the rear of the combination barber shop and Western union building. As I said before, it's pure conjecture, but that is why I am a card carrying member of the 'Artistic License' society!

Some of my builds-2-24-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-2-24-2017-004.jpg

Wanted to post these as soon as I could. We have storms moving in, and the electricity has been known to fail in high winds. (Warmest day ever recorded in the month of February at 81 degrees in Louisville. Tomorrow, the high is only expected to be 40!!!).

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable night! George
Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Those are sharp windows and doors, but I really like the multi-colored brick foundation. Those are the "extra" details that make the building come alive.

John
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 AM

1900's block party continues......

Alright, here is a update on Zimmerman building #3, the Western Union/Kerr Barbershop. Got the blank side walls, base (floor) and the sub roof cut and glued up. I made the back wall just 2/32 of an inch too long; not a big difference, until you cut everything without dry fitting! (Yes, I corrected the issue on the plan sheet). Here are her 'beauty' shots:

Some of my builds-02-26-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-02-26-2017-002.jpg Some of my builds-02-26-2017-003.jpg

I also added the coping on top of the upper façade works. I hope to get a proper roof and chimneys on her sometime this week, if work doesn't interfere too much (pesky real life job!!!).
I don't think it turned out too bad. This was the first of this type historical building I've done (my design) were I did not have a lot of photos to study or could go look at the building itself (I do like both options!). Anyway, here she is with her larger, and younger, sisters for a group shot:

Some of my builds-02-26-2017-006.jpg Some of my builds-02-26-2017-007.jpg

This represents a portion of the 200 block of Main Street (or Upper Main, as it was then called) as it may have appeared in 1900.
I will do a 'stand alone' model in the near future of both the Commerce building and this structure. But I have a couple of other commitments that need to be taken care of first.
Any comments or suggestions are always welcome. Have a Great Day!!!
George
Old 02-26-2017, 12:49 PM

My only comment is: that is a great looking main street!

John
Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
A street is very impressive!
The need for a base ... (pavement and road) and a vehicle ... ???

Regards, Joe (sorry,bad english...)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
George, at one time you asked about a Studebaker wagon. They built them for such a long time. What model wagon were you looking for?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Hello everyone! I did not fall from the face of the Earth; I just feel that way!!!
Joe, Yes, I need to mount these on a base and add sidewalks, streets and alleys. And talking about vehicles............

VK; funny you should ask! I want to keep with the year 1900 theme. One of the reasons I want to model a Studebaker wagon or two is that my maternal Great Grandfather sold and repaired Studebaker wagons in that time frame here in New Albany. I was thinking of light freight and delivery wagons that were a much more common sight in the cities and towns. (Not that you wouldn't see the big, heavy wagons in a river town like ours).
My Grandfather had an old ice delivery wagon still stored in his garage/workshop when I was five or six years old; Me and my cousins use to play in it, getting quite filthy from the dust and a stern talking to afterwards! (Never deterred use from playing out our 'westerns' with a real prop)!

Some of my builds-3-15-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-3-15-2017-002.jpg

So.... the last few weeks, what little time I have found to model, I've played around with some of these designs..... Oh! And just for practice, I built a Quick version of someone's Vardo!
The ice wagon was the one my fraternal grandfather had. It was a Studebaker, double walled with Zink lining in the back and the racks were slanted so as ice blocks were removed, another would slide down closer to the rear doors. I'm sure it was the heavier 4-5 spring type, but by the time we were 10 years old, it had dry rotted so bad that Pop busted it up and used it as firewood! (A bunch of kids playing on it over three to four decades didn't help it either)!
Anyway, this is what I've been piddling with instead of finishing the barber/western union building. I'm still playing around with the looks of the springs and the 'running gear'. The wife pointed out that I can buy models of these wagons in HO scale; true, but what would be the fun in that!

About time for me to get going again. Everyone have a great day and get some modeling in! As always..... comments and suggestions are encouraged and welcomed! George
Google Adsense