PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Glad things are still going, even if they aren't going as fast as you were hoping.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I like the depth and detail of the buildings, nice work.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thank you Michael459. I try and make them look as 'realistic' as my limited talents allow.

VK, things are looking a bit better after this week. Maybe I'll get the chance to come out and play a bit more! Everyone have a Great Day!!!! George
Old 05-21-2017, 06:20 AM

A deviation from the norm....

Well, I decided to take a little break from the buildings that we find (or would have found) in our Midwest, downtown river city around the year 1900. I'll get back to them soon; the pre-planning for a base to mount them on has me a bit stymied; too many options and not enough brain at the moment!

The little detour we'll take was 30 miles north, up the road in a rural area on top of one of the knobs (hills) that surround the river cities here in the valley.......

The pictures show the first stage of how I design and build my structures. After the initial drawing it out on paper, I transfer my scale measurements to the computer (Inkscape is what I am using now). At this point, there are no textures or graphics added; no sense in wasting ink on the trial build(s).
Some of my builds-5-21-17farmhouse-002.jpg Some of my builds-5-21-17farmhouse-003.jpg

I'm getting better at these... this is only the third try and I have my measurements and placements right! You will note that I write all the measurements out on the roofs and walls as I go... easier to keep track of and to make adjustments to the model's plans. Once I'm happy with the basic design, I'll start building the 'graphics', windows, doors, etc.
This home has a 'carpenter gothic' style element that makes it interesting.

Some of my builds-5-21-17farmhouse-005.jpg Some of my builds-5-21-17farmhouse-006.jpg

If you have followed the 'my builds' thread to this point, you know that Halloween is a big deal in this household. Over the past several years, I've built haunted house models from a couple of fine designers as gifts for my wife. This year she'll get one that I designed. It may be a bit early, but projects around here have a way of getting interrupted, so I thought I better get a jump on it now.
I will make two versions of the house... haunted and ... well, it was haunted even when members of my family lived in it for years! (That's my story and I'm sticking with it).

Hope everyone enjoys this little detour. I will try and document the design and build as I go (just remember to take pictures, George).

Have a Great Day and may You get to Model!!! George
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice. I keep trying to find a photo of the schoolmaster's house that my grandparents used to live in. I want to find photos of it before the fire in 1961. I can do the version I look at every other weekend, but I'd like to do it as it originally appeared.

I'm glad you are able to do the old family farm. Is the farmhouse still standing? and close to original appearance?
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 AM

continued......

If you wonder why I've been able to 'come out and play' today, it has been a rainy morning here in New Albany. It's suppose to clear off and be sunny this afternoon, but until then.......
Some of my builds-5-21-17a-002.jpg Some of my builds-5-21-17a-003.jpg Some of my builds-5-21-17a-004.jpg Some of my builds-5-21-17a-006.jpg

I dry fitted all the sub-roofs and only had to make a 1/32" adjustment to my first measurements! (Damn good for me). Glued them down and tried one of the bargeboards on a gable. The original barge boards (gable trim) were heavily scrolled and much fancier than I can attempt to model in HO scale. The same went for all the trim boards around the upper eves. I will simplify those, too, while trying to retain the 'feel' of the prototype.

I tried modeling this home in the 70's and 80's using styrene. The first attempt was a kit-bash of several 'Homes of Yesterday' San Francesco row house models produced by IHC in the mid 70's. Yuck! I basically destroyed four model kits for nothing.
The next attempt was in '81 or '82. A complete scratch build with all new Evergreen styrene textured sheets, lots of mis-measuring and cutting, cussing and screaming and spending a lot of time and money on a model that I could not get the windows or doors to even come close to looking like the real thing.
But now, I HAVE THE RIGHT MEDEIUM! (insert maniacal, mad scientist laugh here).
To say I have been thinking about this model for a long time is, at best, an understatement! Let us all pray to the Great Deity of Cardstock that this time I'll 'git 'er done'!!!

OK. Now that that is over, VK; the house no longer stands. It was destroyed by fire in 2001. My cousin Bill and his family were getting ready to move in when it burned. All that is left is the stone foundations it sat on.
Fire is one of the reasons my wife and I have no photographs we took before 1995. We lost our home (and everything in it) to a fire that year. I do have some of my sketch books and measurements (blue prints of different buildings too) that were in our storage space.
I lived in the house for about a year after graduating high school. My aunt and uncle had bought the place in 1968 and raised appaloosa riding horses. They needed help, I was kinnda' free at that time (all I wanted to do was ride motorcycles and drive race cars; in other words, no job).
I did learn a lot of the homes' history, tragedies, glory and such. That is one reason that I think it will make a good haunted house model!
Well, I see the sun peeking through the window, and I still have 110 year old porch rails that I need to finish replacing today!

Have Great Day Everyone! George
Old 05-24-2017, 03:04 PM

Haunted Homestead/Farmhouse

This is just a bit of a test. I doubt that the colors will stay the same, and after printing it out, I definitely mis-measured my windows on the main floors. But it is just a look at what I've been up to this overcast Wednesday (in between chores of course!).

Some of my builds-haunted-house-wing-textures-windows.jpg

So it will be back to the 'drawing board'. And I just remembered I promised someone some chimneys this week!

Everyone have a Great Day! George
Old 06-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Farm/Haunted House

Just a quick update....
Cousin Billy had two old Polaroid pictures of the front of the farm house; very faded and blurry, but enough to jar the old memory cells. So, here is a raw test build of the north wing; no textures or colors yet (yup, this is how I do it, and you can't believe how many of these I'll make and toss!).
Some of my builds-6-117-001a.jpg Some of my builds-6-117-004a.jpg Some of my builds-6-117-005a.jpg

When we drove out there last weekend, I was a bit saddened. Knowing that the place had burned down, but then seeing it was gone, kinda' slammed the fact home. All that's left is the foundation stones, a pump-handled well near were the back porch was (Yes I tried it. After 140 years, it still pumps water) and the pump house that we had built in the side yard to house an electric water pump so we could have the convenience of tap water!
The biggest embarrassment for me? As much as I love old structures today, when I lived in the home, I couldn't have given a .... Young and dumb. More interested in race cars, motorcycles, chasing girls and flying without leaving the ground. Ah.. the 70's....

I hope everyone has a great day! George
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the images and stories, George.

Don
Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
A pleasant enough diversion George. Always pleased to see a new post from you. Looking forward to when you get "back on track".
Google Adsense