PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Some of my builds

Ok. I'm on my own on this. No Granddaughter back-up! I'm going to try and post some pics of the models I've designed and built. here goes....

Some of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-004.jpg Some of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-001.jpgSome of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-002.jpg
These are first models I did on my own. Not the time period I'm interested the most, but still historical. The 1957 version of a Valentine Little Chef 'Nifty Niner' diner (original configuration). There is one still in operation in downtown New Albany. Kinda' simple and crude compared to the work I see on this site every week, but a good learning experience. I did these about a year and a half ago. By the way, all these models are in HO scale. I have done some in N scale also, but the kids took them to put on their book cases.

Here is one I started the design on a month or so back and assembled last week.........
Some of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-024.jpgSome of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-025.jpgSome of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-026.jpgSome of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-027.jpg

This is the Zimmerman Building. Built on Main St. in 1882 as a bakery. This is more the time frame I get excited about!
I use MS Publisher to make my models. Don't know if anyone else uses that, but it one I'm comfortable with. I also use Gimp, Inkscape and Paint Shop Pro 7 (the real old one) to work my textures.
Well, I think that's enough for now. Let me know what you think of them. I'm a bit nervous about posting these when I look at everyone else's work; you people are so good.............George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-model-pics-7-18-2016-023.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Don't be nervous. I wish more folks would capture period buildings before they are gone
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear George:
Your Bakery will stand the the best of the Paper Designers out there.
Outstanding,
Miles
Old 07-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nothing to be nervous about. The first model is good for a first model. The Zimmerman bakery is a huge step in quality and in building skill. It rivals some of the Illinois Main Street buildings. You are also working in the GIMP and in Inkscape which many (dare I say most) here have given up on without even trying.

Don't stop now.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
They look great to me!
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Very nice. Keep on designing!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:58 AM

Thank You-again.
Yes, I wish more people would capture the elegance of these old buildings in models. Years ago, when I wanted to build a model railroad set in the mid 70's, I had a hard time finding models that looked like they belonged here. The modern buildings offered at that time, as now, are plentiful, but trying to add a distinctive local look could be expensive. After a time, spending $50-80 dollars on the material to scratch build one structure in plastic; well, feeding kids and paying bills won out after a while.
Finding this site, and discovering this hobby, rekindled a fire. I've always been interested in history. And in every city and town, there is a lot of history in it's homes and buildings if people just look for it. I realized that some of those places that had always been there, were disappearing. Maybe this is, in some little way, my part in remembering what they once looked like (a lot of library research) and what they could be. By the way, the bakery building still stands, but not in real good shape today. That block of Main Street has been passed over by the restoration boom that's been taking place for the past several years.
So much for that.... I have had fun learning a new 'craft'. Frustrating at times, but still very enjoyable. And a lot more forgiving than styrene. I'm still learning how to layer different areas of a model to add depth to them. I built several of the Illinois buildings early on. Then, of course, started kit bashing them. Setting back the windows, trying to layer and project the cornice, I suppose you all know the routine.
Seems like I better get to work.... still a lot to learn.... MORE FUN!

Have Great Day Everyone! - George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-026.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These historic building models all look great. Thanks for posting and for the info on the buildings and your construction methods.

Don
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 235.19 MB
they are cool . i am going have go see the diner the next time in New Albany.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 AM

eugentoth13, Thank you. The diner is on Market Street, caddy corner from the farmers market. I think that is Pearl Street, (Opposite side from the Grand Theater). The bakery building is in the 100 block of East Main, right around the corner.
Have a fabulous day! - George
Some of my builds-newalbanydiner.jpg
Google Adsense