PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Milan Cathedral - canon version

Quite a coincidence ! Thomas' version then Canon release theirs - A bit like London busses - you can wait for hours then two come along together.

It appears that there is a big difference between the two kits - I'll leave you decide which one would be best for you ;-)).

I originally decided to send pictures only when it was finished - I wasn't sure how it would look. However, like most of Canon's buildings, the fit of the parts and their decoration is some of the best. So, now I've completed the main body of the Cathedral and the rest is "just" buttresses, flying buttresses and spires, I thought I'd send pictures. This may be an optimistic move because there are more than 100 of the above parts to make - so don't expect a quick build!

The first picture is some of the 36 flying buttresses for the first level - I was going to remove the grey parts .... but that's going a bit too far. I have removed the tabs and glued the them to card the same thickness as buttress. Some have already been added and this method makes the fit and shape easy but it's time consuming, but worth it!

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2484.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2485.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2487.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2486.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
What you've built so far looks very good Mike. Don't blame you for leaving the gray areas in. I doubt anyone will notice by the time the build is complete.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, I see a very large difference between my Forbicolla model and your Canon model. In the first place I do not have three walls of windows. The only windows I have on my model are the first floor. The buttresses just go into a little border type wall. So your Canon model is much more detailed and more realistic than my Forbicolla model.

I do check the Canon models frequently but I missed the Milano Cathedral. When I saw the Forbicolla model, I ordered it and had already begun making it when you posted your find of the Canon model. As much as I like your model better I will keep the one that I have since I have put time into it. I have two little parts to make for the piazza and I will be finished. I will post the completed model tomorrow.

I spend some time this evening looking at Milan Duomo in my cathedral books and on the internet. There are not many photos of the side and roof view, but there were several that showed the clerestory windows and small windows in the triforium with the buttresses and spires attached.

Keep working on your Canon model and post your progress regularly. I am anxious to see the finished product.

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 09-07-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stamper View Post
I have removed the tabs and glued the them to card the same thickness as buttress. Some have already been added and this method makes the fit and shape easy but it's time consuming, but worth it
Mine, I don't understand what you mean here?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Nice and clean Mike. Good job!
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
How is your Canon model of Milano cathedral coming? I am anxious to compare the two models.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:07 PM

I was going to leave it for a few more days but, as you asked, I am attaching a few pictures.

The reason for leaving it was because I have "only" 16 more flying buttresses to add - then it's on to the final leg where I have to make 106 spires!

I thought I'd expand a bit about the flying buttresses. the last 16 are printed in such a way that they can not be glued to thicker card without removing the top parts. as you will see there are no tabs so now I will have to cut the parts from the card and add the two pieces to the top of the buttresses. I have two small pots with 32 very small bits to add.

So far I have not passed on the size of the Cathedral. In my usual mad fashion, I printed two of canon's PDFs to on one A4 sheet. this means that the base (before I added a separate base) is just under 6x3 inches. The tower, which is not yet complete is 1 1/4 inches tall. In the close up of the tower - notice how the pillars have been made in such a way that they follow the roof line. I didn't have to make any adjustments - that's how good this kit is!!

I mentioned above that there are 106 spires to go, they are split into 5 different shapes to fit in unique points on the roof. The last picture will give you an idea of the task ahead - I can't wait to get started!!!

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2590.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2591.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2592.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2593.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2594.jpg  

Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mike what did you use? 80 grm?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Kevin,
I used 120 paper, it adds just a bit more support - even to a kit of this size.

I've also added a few pictures of the flying buttresses, you asked for an explanation after I'd started cutting off the top of the buttresses. I hope the pictures of my paint try helps.

I haven't started on the spires, I've been a bit busy with our latest show, I'm hoping that Tim will be sending some pictures shortly.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2595.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2597.jpg   Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2598.jpg  
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM

Only one picture this time - this is the majority of the spires. the next task is to paint the edges and add them to the cathedral.

It looks as if there are too many, but the large number of spires on the real cathedral was what drew me to it and the kit.;-))

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Milan Cathedral - canon version-img_2611.jpg  
Google Adsense