PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-23-2016, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build

Ok...
Bike riding season is over here in New England and the Road King is in storage. Back to modeling! This week I kicked off the "building season" doing a couple of Quick FG lighthouses. Now for a major project. I have had the L'Instant Durable Mont-St-Michel (LID MSM) sitting around for a couple of years and have decided to start it. I didn't think to document it until today at work. I'll take some images tonight and add them to my next post. I hope to add to Kevin's thread which has been a great help. But a few points that do not require images.

This is a BIG and complex kit! It is printed on larger paper (A4 I think). That was the first issue. Also since i was not going to mess with the beautiful original model step one was to scan the model. I usually do this with models I have so i can have as many "do overs" as I need. Once I have the JPEGs I set about reducing them to fit on US Letter sized paper. In this case I resizex to 80%. That seems to have worked. I next printed out the models on standard paper and put the sheets in a binder for reference. With LID models the instructions are a bit sparse (non existent?) so the pages let you study the pieces even after they have been cut out and some of the folding lines lost. It also helps to find the pieces. LID scatters the pieces all over the place so not all the parts that go together are on the same page or even any page close.
Having the files also allows me to print on different weight of paper. So far i have used 32# for the basic build but have use 110# for structural parts such as bases and the vertical "walls". For really detailed work I usually go to 24 or 28# for any architectural detail work.
I have taken the big assumption that the model should be built based on the part numbering order. A before B, 1 befor 2. One of the exceptions I have found (based on Kevin's suggestion) is to delay putting the roofs on as long as possible. There is a lot of building small square pars then having to attach them to a base. The fit is VeRY tight in some places and there is some need of small adjustments to the structure as it is attached to the base. Not having the roof on really helps with these small adjustments and being able to get some pressure on the glues.
You really need to do a lot of pre-fitting with LID models. There are a number of odd shaped parts whose exact folding and gluing are not obvious.

If I get a break from Turkey Day preps I will post some images tonight.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking forward to seeing this build up.

Other peoples build threads, always a good source

Tim
Old 11-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
I bought mine at location 25 years ago and now I just remembered I loaned it to copy to a former designer paper modeler but do not remember who? Anybody out there who has it and forgot where it came from assuming they did not build it . It was sold at the cathedral at the top of the Mount in Fracs? had to exchange from pounds from another tourist, a lot of conversions all around, no pun intended!
Old 11-24-2016, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Good luck with your MSM! I will follow your build with great interest. Take your time.

I built the model in 2011 but stopped when building the village. The cathedral parts fit very well but indeed, as I remember sometimes fit very tightly but in general no problems here. The cathedral spire should be saved for the very last, including St. Michel who's standing on top. These are very fragile parts and will easily be damaged.

I visited MSM in 2011 and took a lot of pictures. Noticed that the ID model was on sale during the audio guided tour (which provides very useful background info and brings you to places with breathtaking view on the surroundings. Tidal difference overthere is about 15 meters so at low tide the sea around MSM effectively disappears, leaving a lot of enthousiastic "mud walkers" around) and couldn't resist buying it. The price was very modest, something like 25 euros. In the regular model shops this would cost you more than double I have noticed.

But it's huge and as especially the mountain parts - which fall like a skirt around the cathedral structure - didn't fit that well, progress stalled. Another thing is that I got a bit lost in making all kinds of extra details in the village. That's the disadvantage of documenting in advance (ha, ha). So be careful, it's very time consuming... Maybe, perhaps, one day after retirement (still a long way off) it gets completed.

In any case, enjoy your build! Your preparations are thorough.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 11-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good luck Lonnie - I look forward to both hearing about and seeing your build.......

Glad you did not reduce as much as me - not a good idea. I still have mine packed (to finish) one day!

Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Finally got some time to take some images. I have included multiple angles of what I have done so far. I will try t be more detailed from now on.

I have included an image of my basic architectural tool set. My tools vary somewhat depending if I am doing a ship, plane or buildings. Architectural builds use a pretty basic tool set. Some things might need a bit of explaining. The bodkin is what I use to apply glue. It allows a very precise control. using the side of the bodkin allows for a spread to apply in a larger area. It also cleans with a simple wipe. The rolling pad is used with the tube to create paper tubes. I use various tube sizes to get a looser or tighter roll. The pad is a cheap mouse pad that I have cut to a usable size. I picked this technique up from the tips to roll gun barrels.

Sorry for the image quality.I Didn't take to time to do any adjustments to the images.
Attached Thumbnails
L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0598.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0615.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0616.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0617.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0618.jpg  

L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0619.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0620.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0621.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
like the use of the bin to support the model looking good so far.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well, if that waste basket is a standard common size that goes next to a desk then that model is gonna be big.

Nice set of tools. It is amazing how when you build a model you don't really realize how many tools you use, then you decide to make a list and you see the variety used. It is kind of an unconscious thing to just grab something to make a particular part of the build go easier. You start listing everything you use, no matter how insignificant, and the number grows.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 AM

Well not off to a great start. I got turned around on some of the curtain walls and a detailed section (see image 3 below) went pear shaped on me. Lessons learned. THis is why we do a scan and print. So I re started and am working in a more numeric order of the pieces. I highly recommend cutting out piece A1 before beginning. It offers an excellent guide to the placement of the curtain walls of the chapel. I have not yet attached the verticals to the A1 base. I decided to wait for further developments to determine the right moment to do this. THe cut openings should not make this difficult when the time comes. All pieces shown are printed on 110# paper for strength. These look like they will be vital to the structural integrity of the model.
Attached Thumbnails
L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0627.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0628.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0629.jpg   L'Instant Durable Mont St. Michel Build-img_0623.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking good and depressingly familiar as well!

Remember to dry fit a lot. I found some of the parts were a little out, so did this a lot, dry fitting quite a lot of part in one go (rather just a couple).