PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
Smile Lighthouse lens

I'm working on Shipyards lighthouse Utö. The scale is quite large: 1:72, and it give me the possibility to reproduce the original lens. It's maddening! 😁 Anyone who have tried such work, and probably find a simpler way to this kind of work? The lense's valves are made with printed overhead film ( I used msPaint), cut and glued with UHU plastic.The frame is made with 0.5 mm painted paper. Tips and tricks are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Lighthouse lens-screenshot_2017-02-05-14-51-31.jpg   Lighthouse lens-20170205_144224.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear MRC:
Go forth and Push the envelope, Looks good so far, I think you should go the whole way and put a LED bulb in the Lens and get a board that will have it blink in sequence.
We must have a electrical engineer here who would help with the electrical stuff
Good Luck,
Miles
Old 02-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Forgive me for intruding on your build thread. I do not know what Swedish stores offer, but in the US, craft stores and remainder stores sell LED "tea lights" and "votive lights" by the bagful and they are also available on Amazon. You can find ones with a constant light, ones that flicker like candles or flashers if you look around. Low end LED flashlights that produce either a constant beam or flash are inexpensive. If you have basic soldering skills, it would not be too hard to take one of these light sources apart, add a length of wire to the LED and install it in your light house model. Be sure to use a low power LED light source. The LEDs of the bright high output flashlights that are coming on the market get hot.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1fxmqfi86c_e
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC View Post
I'm working on Shipyards lighthouse Utö. The scale is quite large: 1:72, and it give me the possibility to reproduce the original lens. It's maddening! �� Anyone who have tried such work, and probably find a simpler way to this kind of work? The lense's valves are made with printed overhead film ( I used msPaint), cut and glued with UHU plastic.The frame is made with 0.5 mm painted paper. Tips and tricks are welcome.
It a Fresnel lens. Available cheaply in thin flexible plastic. A quick look at Amazon found ten credit card size sheets for under three dollars. Sold as a flat magnifier but search on "Fresnel." If you light your model the Fresnel sheets will look correct. Since it is a real lens, be sure you test each side with a light before determining a surface and committing a cut.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Christian- excellent tip indeed!

For small lenses on tiny models, I use a Humbrol - a liquid gel that you apply with a needle or tooth pick. Dries clear. Plastic modellers' also it to attach canopies.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.34 MB
Lighthouse at 1:72.
Two flashing LEDs - red 3 mm, 5 mm white.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Oooh. Lighting in paper models. One of my dreams. I still want to experiment with fiberoptics on a spacecraft dashboard. Already have the fibers, still need to do a model for it. Somewhere in the coming years, I hope, I'll do Ken West's Apollo capsule and I will stash it with fiberoptics on the instrument panel. I swear I will.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM

The lens in on place, temporarily. I want to see how it looks before I'll glue it on the drum...The real lens as a comparison, a terribly complicated work to reproduce. 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Lighthouse lens-screenshot_2017-02-07-20-36-19.jpg   Lighthouse lens-utoelins.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by group b View Post
Lighthouse at 1:72.
Two flashing LEDs - red 3 mm, 5 mm white.

I'm curious about this lighthouse, what character is? Is a sector light? I've never seen a similar one. Are the white and red altenate? ( a lighthouse nerd like me cannot let such a conundrum be unanswered :-) )��
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
A good source for very small LEDs for hobby work. The website has videos on how to use the products. They sell to people who are making scale model lighthouses.
Reliable company, good customer service and they do ship outside of the USA.
Hobby LEDs for Model Trains, RC, Diecast - Home

They make a slow warning flasher that comes in white or red.
Model Trains FRED and Warning Flasher - Even More LEDs
Google Adsense

Tags
lighthouse, shipyard, utö