PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 283.81 MB
Enough for today, time to let glue dry. Tomorrow is Doctor appointment, so no playing then either.

The second building is coming along. I made a 'fake' back wall to glue the interior to and to make the building stronger. All the joints overlap, especially in the corners.

I will 'redecorate' that back wall to hide the repetition of signs and tools from the copy of the original back wall.

Real buildings have real beams, so I cut stir sticks into suitable beams, just like shown on the outside of the building. These will surround the garage door and be added to the roof structure. The roof will be removable for viewing the stuff inside the building.

So, here she is for now. I did fix that bulge in the upper left of the garage siding, just over the door.

The advantage of simplifying origami are twofold.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I took a couple of pics yesterday after getting home and then my new iPad Pro promptly died! Seems it must be a hardware failure in the video circuits somewhere. I successfully backed up the machine through iTunes and updated the operating system, but still no display. A tech helped me restore the machine to factory settings and restore the backup, but still no display, so it goes into the shop on Tuesday. Grrr...

Amazingly, the first two images I took (out of 3) yesterday made it to the iCloud. I guess that isn't surprising, the machine still works, it just doesn't display anything.

So, first the pic that didn't make it. I re-took it today with my wife's iPad. These are the long hair clips, got them at Walmart yesterday. 12 clips for 4 bucks. Very soft metal, so they can be bent straight or more curved or whatever you need. I will trim some of them to a square point too.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Here are the other two photos. Some equipment arrived yesterday too.

And a Vauxhall Victor was imported to wherever this little layout is. It is in the shop, which isn't surprising.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
This is a fun model.
Your modifications sound interesting.

I built this model a few years ago
...made a few of my own modifications and added some other models
to create a Walking Dead Diorama
which I also entered in (and won) an online Walking Dead contest.

Please take a look.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/659362...57676565975303

Not sure if I can provide any other help, but don't be afraid to ask.
Great work man!
Perfect!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.92 MB
Congratulations on your work!
The Papermau website always has great models to assemble.
Following...
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Thanks! I hope your site issues go away. Always good to have more sites to work with.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Got it Ken, thank you very much for the help on the hair Goodies. I'll start the hunt. They look like they could do the job of holding paper together. wc
Old 02-11-2017, 03:11 PM

I am working on the garage section and experimenting with roofing.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM

A bit more progress... I got the interior walls of the garage up, beams in place and the roof structure ready for tin.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:57 PM

I have been working all day on getting ready for our monthly excursion, but I did manage a few minutes of modeling time. My brain was mostly disconnected and I made several mistakes but recovered...

I used Alieen's Tacky glue, but not the bottled type, but the spray type to attach the roofing to the garage. The spray worked great for gluing the foil roofing to the wood substrate. I sprayed both surfaces. Spraying the foil 'relaxed' it and it was very easy to handle after that.

Note the new door on the front of the two story building. I didn't like the other one and this one was on my 'page of parts' seen below.

The cruel closeup makes the roof look terrible, but I think it is OK in person and when weathered it will look like an old roof.

I decided to make the addition to the back, a lean-to type of thing. Mistakes ensued... I laid the pattern on the material the wrong way and it came out backward, requiring another layer of siding on the back. Then the door got glued on the wrong side, oh well, there was another on the printout. Speaking of which...

While I had the PC running trying to repair my iPad, I printed a sheet of goodies from Model Maker. Some siding, doors and windows and parts. Very handy. The lean-to is made from those parts.

I printed an extra piece of wood siding also and made the lean-to walls from that. I used a scrap from the original plan as a pattern, and of course should have turned it over for use as a pattern. But, I recovered.

I drew and cut a pattern for the floor too, to make the building stronger. You can see the wall with the missing siding. Duh...

And, true to form for the day, I laid the little building on the roofing the wrong way, so it is not really correct, but it works. Then I glued the back door on the wrong side of the building. But, never fear, I had printed two.

[

I will need a bit of ridge cap for the connection between the buildings, then on to the final building of the set. But, that will have to wait until the end of the week when we get back home.

[

Google Adsense