PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Attractive looking model, the colours look good. Enjoying following this build.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
More roofs going on. That looks to be the finishing routine now with some small embelishments to add to some of the roofs later on for the final finish.

This shows a good illustration of how the parts numbering system is on most of the S-B models:

The black number is the part number and the red numbers show what part gets glued to that area

This shows that long roof on the right already in place:

There were a lot of attachment points to deal with and no real easy way to apply pressure to make a good glue joint.

This is a close up of the roof in place:

This is an are where a similar roof section is to be placed:

I counted 17 different attachment points; most are glue tabs, some are flat vertical areas where a glue tab on the roof piece gets glued to an already in place piece.

My method is to first see if there are some tabs that can be glued and clamped and allowed to dry before applying glue to the other glueing areas. That sometimes provides a nice anchor for proper positioning of the part. Where that cannot be accomplished I bend the glue tabs up a little, apply glue, then put the part in place. Bending the tabs up allows the area on the part to be glued to contact (sort of) the glue on the tab then move the tabs down to an acceptable position. You have to keep an eye all along the part to make sure it stays in position. I use a thin plastic toothpick to apply glue to the tabs that do not attach properly and try to apply pressure to the area to help the glue joint work. Sometimes it do, sometimes it don't.

There will now be a slight pause in contruction.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
You are doing a great job, a very nice model. It is a place I would like to visit.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Great work, for sure! A very nice build of a neat model! George
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
17 tabs to glue a single part may seem excessive but, on the example you give, some inner tabs may be seen as redundant. They help but, if they don’t glue properly, it is not a real problem
I fully agree with the method you describe. On that particular roof section, it looks like gluing the roof first to the main wall is a good idea. The roof would have to be momentarily curved because a simple rotation would collide with a lower roof and the end wall with tabs marked “24”. But it should work. Sometimes, on these situations, I apply the shelf method: remove the tabs from the roof, make new tabs and apply them to the main wall and drop the roof on all those tabs.
Keep up the good work. I have a copy of this kit but no plans to assemble it in the near future. Anyway, your thread will be a useful reference
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
That looks like a very neat piece of modelling!

I have found with big buildings that reinforcing the walls and roofs help. I also use square balsa along the top of the walls and the roof tabs help to keep things straight.

I do like S&S numbering system, it makes life so much easier. I'm in the middle of a GPM castle. There are no number on the ground plan - the only numbers are on the parts page so at least I can find the parts!.

I won't spoil you thread with my problems - I'll start my own.... possibly.

Cheers
Mike
Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 379.18 MB
Hi Doug,

very nice work on this model, I like it.

Regards
Dieter
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM

A little more progress on the roofs.

Here is roof 22a in place:

All 17 glue areas grabbed after a bit of manipulation. More on that spire later.

Overall look at roofs 22-25 in place:

Close up of spire:

There are 18 of them, doubled card. Looks like you can cut them out with as much detail as you want. I do not think I will try to cut all of those horizontal details out. I also will not install the rest of them until later on. They are just crying to be knocked loose. The placement of them is marked on the roof and vertical walls by some lines.

Roof offset between roof 24 and roof 25:

There is actually some printed graphics on the gable structure on roof 24 where roof 25 attaches to give that little bit of off set.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Some more progress on the various roofs.

That little bump got a roof too:

Shadows on the left side make it look like the roof is on askew:

Honest

Earlier I mentioned that the roof ornaments were going to be put on later to keep them from being knocked off or damaged.
Here is the one test install that shows how something can happen by just thinking about it:

The black vertical lines show where the roof onaments are edge glued:

More later. Depends on how many squirrels or birds I chase.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Doug,

This is nice work and your photos really show off the progress!
Looking forward to more.
Google Adsense