PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.

All of the main components of this new design are complete. Now that I have glued the model to its base and added the 'grass' I shall start the long process of drawing and testing the buttresses and pinnacles. Anyway, here are some progress photos: I hope you like the design so far. At the moment, I am trying to find a card whose colour is something like the stone colour of Lichfield, Hereford, Chester and any other sandstone-built cathedral in England. Not easy. My next model cathedral will probably be another pale one and so that means one of these: Lincoln, Chichester, Norwich, Winchester or Saint Albans. I fancy doing a small one so I shall probably do Chichester, especially as I have family near there who can put me up for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8081.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8078.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8044.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8055.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2017, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 156.88 MB
Rupert,

I'm fairly new here, but your creations/builds are truly wonderful. You are a true artist and a Master of card. Cathedrals are inspiring works of architecture and you bring that out in your creations. Thank you.

Wyatt
Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 AM

Hi Rupert ,

ohh , it´s so beautyfull , especialy the fine Details .
I am looking forward to my next Order .

Kind regards from Austria

Kurt
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Looking really great!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Latest on new model design for Ely Cathedral

I've completed some more buttresses and pinnacles. The tower now looks really 'Ely-ish' at last and so for that matter does the Octagon. I'm looking forward to making the eight upright posts which encircle the lantern because they will really give it its 'look'.
Attached Thumbnails
Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8149.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8157.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8158.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
That is looking wonderful, Rupert. I have been hoping for years for a worthy model of the ship of the fens, and one is at last coming.

I was quite taken aback by your earlier pictures as I hadn't realised quite how important the turrets, pinnacles and buttresses were to the appearance - the proportions looked all wrong! Not any more.

This is really something to look forward to. It is an added bonus to hear you are considering Chichester next - it is another cathedral along with Ely and Peterborough with which I have had musical connections. Now, can I interest you in Bury St. Edmunds ...?

All the best,
Alan
Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Really impressive model and nicely done !
Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 PM

As far as I can see, your English is actually perfect.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 AM

Some big changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
That is looking wonderful, Rupert. I have been hoping for years for a worthy model of the ship of the fens, and one is at last coming.

I was quite taken aback by your earlier pictures as I hadn't realised quite how important the turrets, pinnacles and buttresses were to the appearance - the proportions looked all wrong! Not any more.

This is really something to look forward to. It is an added bonus to hear you are considering Chichester next - it is another cathedral along with Ely and Peterborough with which I have had musical connections. Now, can I interest you in Bury St. Edmunds ...?

All the best,
Alan
Since my last post, it has not been the Octagon which has given me sleepless nights but the lantern on top! I forgot to take into consideration the added width of the tall uprights and so when they were added, the whole thing was too wide. I tried to imagine the problem away but it would not go so I removed the old lantern with a sharp scalpel, destroyed it and then redesigned and inserted a new slimmer design. Result: happy. By the way, I much appreciate your constructive criticisms which help me in my endeavours to produce the very best models that I am able to make.
The first two photographs show the old lantern, which, without the uprights, looks alright. With the uprights added however it does not. Also notice the scruffy fit of the uprights - a clear sign that something is amiss. The last three photos show harmony restored.
Attached Thumbnails
Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_7715.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8348.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8438.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8437.jpg   Ely Cathedral: first stage completed.-100_8455.jpg  

Old 04-08-2017, 05:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice Rupert.

And yes - Chichester would be a nice choice.

Have you considered making some of the small churches - Norman etc.? These would make nice little models as well and you may attract buyers who have a more modest time or cash budget.

This is a selfish comment as well, as I enjoy making the smaller church models! I just don't have the space for the cathedrals now......

Just a thought...............