PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
What a complete ass I have been.

Essentially the light house is finished now.

I have not taken any photos of it finished as I'm waiting until I have produced a suitable base for it.

I did not realise till now but there is a sheet of lasercut parts missing from the kit.
There is nothing with the kit that shows what sheets are supposed to be included, such as the sprue drawings on a plastic kit instruction sheet.

Earlier in the build I found a discrepancy in the assembly diagrams, it was the lack of a raised course of stone blocks at the edge of the balcony.
This I corrected by copying another piece and adding it on.

Well it turns out that the piece needed was in reality, supposed to be part of the kit.
I found a picture of the missing parts sheet on Google images.
That sheet also includes the stanchion locators, base, fence and gate components.

What an ass I have been.

I just worked out that there are, on the missing sheet, small pieces that go on the balcony in order to locate the stanchions.
Had I realised and if I had these pieces then the whole process of fitting the stanchions would not have been such a nightmare.

That missing sheet has caused me so much heartache.

Considering the inaccuracies of the model, the very ambiguous instructions and now a complete sheet of laser cut parts missing, I seriously doubt the value in what I consider to be an expensive kit.

Pity, because the laser cutting and fitment was superb.

Clive.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
A few thoughts..

regarding the missing piece ...You don't know what you don't know, ... until you find out. Don't kick yourself for it.

I have never seen ANY kit without inaccuracies.

Your build pictures, regardless of the obstacles, i.e. missing materials, speaks well of your skills. A good job under adverse condition (or kit) is the trademark of a good modeler.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Dave Pete, Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

Your'e right, small inaccuracies do seem to occur in many instances and most would not be noticed except by persons with intimate subject knowledge.

However the main inaccuracy with this model is glaringly obvious to anyone who has ever seen the Cape Otway lighthouse.
Namely the ball on top rather than the correct "Trinity" ventilator.
This is akin to designing a model Spitfire with a "T" tail.

I've a lot to do this weekend but I'll endeavor to get a base built over the next few days and photos will follow.

Clive.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
Don't be so hard on yourself, you should be proud that you solved the problem gallantly with knowledge and persistence (the marks of a scientist). I checked the Abadonna.au... Yes the prices are quite high, almost three times the eu-market. A little complain to the seller in this case is well justified, a missing ark is too much to be keep it silent.
When I received the Utö, the package wasn't sealed, I discovered later that the bag with transparent foil and the copper wires was missing, nothing more than a nuisance, the price was 2/3 than normal but the seller didn't mention the reason (european consumers law, surely have some point about it but I deemed as "too much fuss").
Btw I'm at the "Crowdy" now, compared with Utö (although they are at the same scale) is very little, not much bigger than the old oil store!
I'm planning to "scratch" the lightkeeper's cottage, based on plans from Tacking P. and Ballina wich looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-screenshot_2017-03-18-11-29-28.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 02:43 AM

Marco, I don't see much point in contacting Shipyard about the missing sheet of lasercut parts.
By the time I realised what was going wrong with the kit I had already made new parts and modifications.
The missing parts for the base I will scratch build.

A reliable source informs me that missing parts and poor service is a common problem with Shipyard these days.

Oriel produce a two model kit of the Smoky Cape and Tacking Point lighthouses, the latter of which is very similar to Crowdy Head.

I shall order this kit whilst I eagerly await the soon to be released new HMV kits of Australian lighthouses from Fentens.

Your Crowdy is looking great and yes, there is a huge difference in size for the same scale.

Clive.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 AM

My Cape Otway Light house is finished finally.

This is my first start to finish card model.

It's not perfect but it's the best I can do.

The correct replacement "Trinity" top and weather vane along with the lightning conductors were scratch built as they were not part of the kit.

The fence is wrong but the correct two rail and post looked like a corral so I changed it to the picket fence and I like it better.

All in all I'm happy with my job and except for the missing sheet of parts I'm happy with the kit.

Thank you Marco for the lens.

Thank you to all the watchers.

Clive.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-001.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-002.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-003.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-004.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-005.jpg  

Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-006.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-007.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-008.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-009.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-010.jpg  

Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-011.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
Talking

'T was a pleasure to give a helping hand (bow).... Pity about Shipyard's "wobbling" quality, shouldn't be a lottery to have a complete kit.
Glad you have got the right size anyway, as I mentioned before, MSpaint is simple but sometime is the "devil's tool". Yes... I should have warned you about the problems with a correct diameter, a few decimals more or less here and there changes the circumference enough. Printed in one piece is probably better but is not best for the transparency foil (the more you bend it, the more will be scratched and the printing damaged). And to make the all worst, is not a circle but a cylindric pentagon whose faces are three parts at different angles (well, now I'm a bit a...l, sorry, I have an unhealthy relationship to lighthouses's lenses ).

Last edited by MRC; 03-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Once I got the scaling right, I printed on card and cut out five lens panels then made joining tabs out of ordinary printer paper and glued them on the inside.

I cut a disc for the base, a ring for the top and raised the mount by 10mm to compensate for the shorter, but better, Marco lens, thanks again.

Clive.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 AM

People, I need people for the lighthouse.

Card, 2D flat persons, ones I can print.

A Victorian era lighthouse keeper wearing a mac and sou'wester would be brilliant.

Can anyone help please?

I can't find any.

Cheers,

Clive.

Tags
australia, cape otway, fentens, lighthouse, shipyard