PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Cape Otway lighthouse.

I currently have several models at varying stages of completion.
However they are all at that point where things are becoming difficult or complicated and I simply can't be bothered at the moment.
Lots of real life pressures and I don't need more in my hobby.

So I wanted something I could start and finish and perhaps get the motivation happening again.

I purchased from Fentens Australia the Schreiber-Bogen 1/24th Bleriot Xl and the Shipyard 1/72 Cape Otway Lighthouse.

Examination revealed that the Bleriot is a lovely kit.
The detalied engine, the exposed rear fuselage frame along with it's associated wire rigging and the wing rigging is quite stunning.
It simply won't do the model justice to use the printed spoke wheels.
So I must now learn to make proper spoked wheels, plenty of tutorials on that subject but at this stage, I can't be bothered.

That leaves the Cape Otway Lighthouse.
I chose the 1/72 over the 1/87, not because it's all laser cut (good ), but because whilst the smaller one has L/C frames it only has printed upper mesh walkway.

It's a neat kit with 10 A4 sheets of L/C parts, all brilliantly done too.
3 @ 0.22 mm thickness
2 @ 0.50 mm "
2 @ 1.03 mm "
1 @ 1.30 mm "
2 @ 1.45 mm "

Instructions are mostly exploded diagrams.
Also included are 3 thick and one thin copper wires for railings and a sheet of clear for glazing.

At the same time I purchased a couple of bottles of Kittifix glue from Fentens.
I often see it in the background of European modelers posted photos so I assume it must be good.
Currently I use Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue and I think it will be hard to beat.
I shall report.

Hopefully Strax and I will begin the build tonight and I shall post progress photos.

Clive.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-024.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-022.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-023.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-025.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-026.jpg  

Cape Otway lighthouse.-027.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-028.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-029.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-031.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-032.jpg  

Cape Otway lighthouse.-033.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-035.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-036.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 156.88 MB
Hi Clive,

Looks like a very nice kit. Looking forward to this build.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM

Couldn't help myself, just had to do some research just to make sure I was not committing any blunders.

Well, big one straight up. The model has what I shall call a raised bezel topped with a large ball sitting on the dome roof.

I am unable to find a single photo that depicts this, from early through to very recent pictures.
It does in actual fact have a short cylindrical top upon which is mounted a weather vane.
The roof area also sprouts an assortment of lightning rods.

In the early times there were stanchions and I think chains around the upper walkway that was probably used to access the glass for repairs and cleaning.
They are not included so I'm guessing the kit represents a later version. Thats OK.

Also there are panels of mesh between the stanchions on the main walkway but they appear to be quite a recent addition. Most likely added once they opened it to the public following it's decommissioning in 94.

This kit is not printed and so it must be painted. Easy. Door, windows etc and some of the white such as the door surrounds.
However, the stone blocks from which the tower is built are beautifully depicted with light laser burning.
Painting will obscure this.
I will have to try and color match the cardboard in order to touch up the parts that need painting and just clear coat the raw card when it is finished.

Construction has commenced and so far it is going great and that Kittifix glue is excellent.
Not as fast as Aleene's Turbo which is a good thing as I get a few seconds for correct positioning.
I still like the turbo though for frames etc that otherwise would need clamping or supports whilst normal glue sets.

More work tonight and photos tomorrow.

Clive
Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 PM

The plot thickens, Things were not adding up. More checking.
It appears this model is a hybrid, perhaps designed from photos of two similar lighthouses not too far away from each other in southern Victoria.

From the railing down it is identical to the Cape Otway Lighthouse.
From the railing up it is identical to the Split point Lighthouse.

Google image the two, you'll soon see.
The model is neither.

Also, the Split Point L/H has horizontal frames to it's lantern windows.
What you see on the Otway L/H are in actual fact steel cables running through loops on the outside. They appear to be frames in most photos.
The supposed Otway L/H model has the horizontal Split Point frames.

Clive
Old 03-01-2017, 12:12 AM

A little effort so far.
Very happy with fit.
Thinned acrylic paint on the door allowed the laser marks to show through.
Were havin fun once again.
Clive.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-001.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-002.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-003.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
The Shipyard lighthouses are addicting, last weekend i finished the Utö one (I was interested because, is mentioned daily as weather station in the the Swedish shipping bullettin). Now I'm waiting for the Marjaniemi and Crowdy head to dump in the mail box.
Strange that about the Otways lantern... The Shipyard's kits I have "investigate" so far, are reasonably accurate.
More strange to me is the big, squat ventilation in the actual Otway's top. Never seen something like that...Yet. And ventilation must be, I guess that when C. Otway lighthouse was new, the lamp had to have at least five wicks...can't imagine the amount of excess heat after just one hour!
Look forward to the continuation. Nice helping hand by the by...��
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM

@ MRC, yep, I think I could find them addicting too.

I may just have to order more but lets wait and see how this one turns out first. It may well be a disaster yet.

Anyway, a little progress made.
Door done, windows ready for glazing and the deck frame ready to cover.
Somehow I must curve the paper over the rounded edge whilst going around the circumference.
Any other model and I'd have spun that out of MDF or perspex or anything but paper.
36 edge pieces, we're so thankful for laser cut.
Perfect fitment made it a pleasure and I'm really liking the Kittifix.
Nice tiny nozzle too, don't have to use the toothpick so often.

But tonight I shall endeavor to cover the frame, twice apparently.
Why two layers I don't know yet but I'm sure I'll find out.

Clive.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-001.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-002.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-003.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-004.jpg   Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-005.jpg  

Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 PM

Well I was mistaken, part 24 is not a long thin strip as I wrongly deduced from the diagram.

It is actually 36 individual pieces that curve around the formers much like plating a small scale ship hull.

It'll take longer but will be easier in the long run.

Clive.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-cape-otway-006.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I didn't realize these models had such a detailed substructure. I think it has more bulkheads and formers than many ship or tank kits. It looks like you're doing a very precise job so far. Nice, clean work.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I didn't realize these models had such a detailed substructure. I think it has more bulkheads and formers than many ship or tank kits. It looks like you're doing a very precise job so far. Nice, clean work.
Although the price tag is twice maybe three times of most lighthouse kits, they are excellent value for money. They are, of course, much larger scale but accurate in detailing compared with the real lighthouse of concern. Thanks to a good amount of formers, etc. the kits are robust, the downside is that they need to be painted.
Utö lighthouse, my first Shipyard kit, was a pleasant surprise. By the way, I found that the measure given for the ventilation on top of the lantern was more or less half the diameter it should have been, that was the only "less accurate" detail. On my side, I added more details thanks to a wealt of pictures of the real one found "on the net".
Attached Thumbnails
Cape Otway lighthouse.-utoe2.jpg  

Tags
australia, cape otway, fentens, lighthouse, shipyard