PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.04 MB
Horreum

As promised, after the Roman barge another small model with it's ancestry in the Roman period. One or two pictures of the finished product will follow soon: I lost quite a few original photos due to my disorganised way of storing files on two, three or even more hard-drives.

About the inspiration: a horreum comes in all kinds of sizes and building techniques. Along Hadrian's Wall the foundation of a nice example at Birdoswald springs to mind. The foundations of another good example, a double one remains at Corbridge. This type of warehouse forms a standard part of Roman fortresses. They all share a raised floor so that air can circulate underneath it and most likely, cats or other small predators can hunt rodents that might think of al this grain and other foodstuff a easy pickings.

My model more particular was inspired by the interpretation of some archaeological features at a dig at the "Uithofslaan" in The Hague, my hometown. The remains were nothing more than some dark stains in the ground, about 50 cm wide, 2 m long and 20 cm in depth. You may find them in literature dealing with this kind of matter as "horreum 3002". For those interested, the report "Archeologisch onderzoek aan de Uithofslaan, Gemeente Den Haag Deel 1: Sporen van bewoning uit de ijzertijd (vindplaats 6) en de Romeinse tijd (vindplaats 3)" contains all relevant information on this horreum and much more about the Roman and iron age history of the site (in Dutch).

To finish this start of the thread off, an artists impression of horreum 3002 as attachment and a short tour on the model. I do realise now, that the conversion form "svg" to "pdf" has removed the majority of the wall texture . . . pencil or felt tipped pen will do wonders I presume. Foundation-members will go at the grey positions on the wall. A quick sketch might help to clarify my explanation, or maybe do just the opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
Horreum-horreum.jpg   Horreum-horeum.jpg  

Christiaan
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Hey Christiaan! Thank you for your research and models. Roman history has always been a favorite subject of mine. So much western architecture can be traced back over 2000 years to the romans and is often overlooked today. George
Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.04 MB
some pictures

As promised, some pictures of the horreum. The first is a close up, the second is the showcase in which it sits, among with some other creations I made through the years.

Oh, on the shelves above the models, we have original 16th and 17th century footwear from archaeological digs in the centre of The Hague, in particular the "Tramtunnel"
Attached Thumbnails
Horreum-dsc_3543_edit.jpg   Horreum-dsc_3544_edit.jpg  

Christiaan

Tags
roman