PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Olsztyn Castle

It seems ages since I last posted any pictures - too busy making and not photoing!

I decided it was time to make another model by GPM. I didn't want anything too ambitious so I chose one of the smaller castles.

Olsztyn is in the northern part of Poland and the castle's real name is "Zamek Kapituly Warminskiej.

Like many of the GPM buildings they are easier to make than pronounce the name. This one is 1:200 and is about 30x30 CM. The early work is making the base which takes up a lot of templates glued to card. Where I worked, most of the correspondence we received came by courier and I now have quite a collection of card and it's just right for reinforcing panels - and walls.

The parts fitted together well and I had no problems with language - there are no printed word instructions but sufficient drawings to work out what goes where. Although, the drawings were a little confusing because they kept swapping the view angle.

Despite that, it was a pleasant build of a castle that doesn't have a WOW factor but looks good despite my model making;-)

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Olsztyn Castle-img_2725.jpg   Olsztyn Castle-img_2726.jpg   Olsztyn Castle-img_2727.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks pretty good. Nice graphics.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Good looking model, Mike.

Fred
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Nicely done Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
A very interesting castle and a great build as usual, . Have you been there, Mike? I looked it up on the map and found it half way between Malbork and Warsaw. Although our upcoming tour travels from Malbork to Warsaw, I don't see any indication of our making a stop there. I would love to see it. BTW, I thought you were fluent in the Polish language. I must say that JSC and GPM both have such good diagrams that you wasted a lot of time trying to learn to read Polish
Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 AM

Thomas, thanks for the comments. We haven't been to this castle, but I have driven from Warsaw to Malbork, then on to Gdansk.

I'm not fluent in any language. I once decided to learn another language, but there were so many to chose from I decided to stick to English. We spent two weeks driving from Krakow to Gdansk, stopping off at different places and only once did we find someone who didn't speak English, unlike the French, Poles seem to want to speak English. On the other hand, we've toured France a few times and people don't want to speak English. Usually I try my school boy French and after a few embarrassments, they take pity on me and switch to English!

I have the kit because I found a few shops in Warsaw that sold paper kits and I went on a bit of a spending spree.

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Thumbs up Olsztyn

Hello, Mike!
A very nice build - my compliments for showing this castle (polish: zamek).
It's name is indeed Allenstein / Olsztyn, named after the river Alle, in Prussia, or more precisely, in the bishopric of Ermland / Warmia. The designation Zamek Kapituly Warmiensky means that this castle did not belong to the knights of the Teutonic Order or the bishop himself but to the cathedral chapter (Domkapitel). Later on it was the seat of a royal prussian provincial governor (Regierungspräsident) - hence the yellow baroque wing.
Kind regards -
Papercaptain
Old 05-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the information.

If I remember, the castle is not too far from Malbork - the biggest and best Tutonic castle of them all. Some years ago, I drove from Warsaw to Malbork, where we stayed for a few days. We saw a lot of castles on our trip but we didn't Olsztyn.

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks great, I like it.
Google Adsense