PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Anne Frank House

We returned two week ago from our almost 3 weeks in Amsterdam (4 nights) and Poland. I was able to see all of the real buildings of over 25 models that I have built or have the kit. I am now in the process of writing our experience on my webpage - CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe. I will soon post photos of some of the Polish models that I have already made.

Please go to my webpage CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe, click on Our Adventures and scroll down to Amsterdam and Poland 2017, then click on Day 3 to read about our visit to Anne Frank's House. I also put a link to a whole page of photos and descriptions of the model.

I could find no models of anything in Amsterdam (if anyone know of models, please let me know). I do have a model of the Coin Tower but did not get to visit it.

I did find a model of the Anne Frank House in their gift shop. It was in a box that would not have been convenient to carry on the rest of the trip, so I ordered it when I got home. It came yesterday and I finished it this morning.

To some purists, it may not be an authentic paper model because it is printed on thick glossy cardboard, scored, and punch out. Pieces interlock very well, nothing needs to be glued. It is a nice model and shows great detail of the house. It measures 7"wide ,16" deep and 12" tall. It cost $20.00 US dollars plus $15 for shipping. Delivery took less that 2 weeks. You can order it at Anne Frank Museum - officiƫle website Anne Frank Huis.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne Frank House-afrank11.jpg   Anne Frank House-dsc09062.jpg   Anne Frank House-dsc09063.jpg   Anne Frank House-afrank1.jpg   Anne Frank House-afrank2.jpg  

Anne Frank House-afrank7.jpg   Anne Frank House-afrank5.jpg   Anne Frank House-afrank8.jpg   Anne Frank House-afrank9.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2017, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Thomas, very well done. Interesting and historically loaded subject. Many of these canal houses consist of a front house and back house, which usually faced a small garden and in which the Frank family found their refuge. In The Netherlands the diary of Anne Frank was also published under the title "Het Achterhuis", meaning the back (or rear) house. People like her were called "onderduikers", literally meaning the ones who dive under.

One and a half years ago I watched a theatrical performance of the story of Anne Frank and the house was meticuously copied for this purpose. The famous book case closing off the entrance to their hiding place. As we all know, it wasn't a story with a happy ending, sadly.

Erik
Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
There is another smaller model of Anne Frank's house listed on the Space Station 42 website: Free Paper Models of Buildings and Structures
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Good Morning Thomas. Very well done. Looks to be well built and designed.
A model can be many things to us. It can remind us of good times or, in this case, the sad times in our collective histories. As humans, we need to remember both.
George
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
An interesting model of this type of building Thomas.

I see although it shows the crane, the building does not have the forward lean normally associated with these - used to haul furniture etc in and out. The buildings have a forward lean so stuff does not get damaged on the walls.

It does not appear to have the lean in real life either in the photos I've checked.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:43 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
some of the houses had a beam sticking a bit out from the facade, usually the roof beam was used.

the end of the beam either had an eye hook, or an integrated block and tackle, with the rope hanging from there into the top door way.

I will need to get research this next statement, but the houses you are thinking of, would be called Pak Huizen, or Pack/Package houses, usually found near docks and mooring points for the Canal boats, and the dockworkers would unload the boats and transfer the goods to the houses nearby.

There are some models which show the overhang you talk about, there is a "crane" from Gdansk from Maly, which shows the overhang nicely, and I one of the German publishers has also a house crane for one of their harbor dioramas

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-05-2017, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Rick,

I think you refer to the "Krantor" (German for Crane Gate) in Gdansk/Danzig in Poland. It was published by Schreiber Bogen and still available.

Regards,
Erik
Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Erik, yup that is the one
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-06-2017, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
A very nice model! Thinking in buy one.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Eric, Zakopious, Kevin, Rick and Mauther for you responses. To add to the discussion about the crane hooks, almost every house in Amsterdam had one. The stairways were made narrow and would not allow furniture to be move up them, thus the crane hooks on the outside to lift the furniture through the windows. We were told that most house do learn forward some, but I couldn't see it.

Below is the crane hook on the model of Anne Frank's house. Note the wheel and drum that winds up the rope.

Eric and Rick wrote about the Crane Gate in Gdansk. We visited it. I do have a model of the Gdansk Waterfront that was another thread. Note the last photo which show the treadmill wheel over the archway. It takes several men walking inside to move the load off the ship. There is another set towards the top on the inside. I will write more on my webpage when I get to my report of Gdansk.
Attached Thumbnails
Anne Frank House-dsc09078.jpg   Anne Frank House-dsc08718.jpg   Anne Frank House-dsc08747.jpg  
Google Adsense