PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It looks like this church had several additions over time. It wouldn't surprise me if that triangle buttress is actually all that shows of a corner buttress after an addition, making the building wider to the north
Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The upper sections of the towers remain to be build. Next are the platforms of the towers, which are connected by a tiny bridge. The railings are normally see-through. I guess it could be nice to print them on transparents.

Once the platforms are done, the upper octogonal level of the tower is put on them. It's important to check photos or the instructions for reference, to make sure the windows and clocks are in the right places. (There are two images of the completed model in the instructions for this)

Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 AM

Now to the only challenging part of the model, the main tower roofs. These are petal-parts, which I know many people do not like. For a roof of this shape they are still the best way to get the shape right. One thing you do need is a good glue and a good paper to glue edge-to edge. And you need patience. In this case, I spread out the assembly of the parts over a whole day. Glued one petal, then went to do something else. When I remembered, I came back to glue the next one, and so on. Okay, maybe a bit of glue was spilled unnecessarily on the parts, but I think they came out really nice. The edge is then glued around the main part. I thought his would be rather troublesome, but it also worked quite smoothly.

Last parts that remain are the tips of the towers, which once again are very easy parts.

Next: The finished model!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:26 AM

The finished model

Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 AM

Some final thoughts on this build:
As someone who likes to figure out designs by myself, it was actually fun to build the pre-release version and mostly without instructions. This version had a lot of quirks that have been amended for the final version (see download link above).

I am originally not a fan of sticking photos on a model rather than having a proper more graphic art-work. But getting some insights on how my father came up with the photo-based artwork, I was rather impressed by that and by the results as well. (After all it was me who taught him Photoshop years ago ) A similar photographic technique was actually used as well for the Schloßkirche by Schreiber Verlag (the second of Luther's churches)

All in all, the model is an uncomplicated fun build, which is suited very well for beginners, so it should do well with its target audience. There are a handful of buttresses, but not too many to make them monotous or boring (as is the case on more complex churches). There are also no small or fiddly parts, which beginners would struggle with. Other parts are very diverse which makes the build interesting.

While upscaling may be not be recommended as the pixel-based artwork will not get better in bigger scale, the model could also be an interresting one to expand upon, by adding recessed windows, transparent railings on the tower and doing some greebling on Altars, statues and other details. Or - as a modeller on the kartonbau-forum suggested - by maybe adding custom built interior...

This is it. Hope you enjoyed reading through this thread.
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The final product looks very good. Thank you for the interesting build thread.

Tags
church, martin luther, reformation, wittenberg