PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
A wonderful recognition of paper models

Early this summer, I was contacted by two research librarians at the library at Catholic University of America in Washington DC. They had discovered my website- cathedralquest.com and were interested in my cathedral models for an exhibit in the CUA library this fall. The two researchers came to our home and were very taken by my models and wanted to display as many as they had space for, which resulted in 15 models.

The May Gallery where the models are now displayed is a beautiful and spacious room on the first floor of the Mullen Library (photo #1 shows the library – the May Gallery is within the four windows on the right of the door). During the past several months, many elaborate preparations have been made, which includes a large poster with biographical info about me, a list of all of our trips color coded with a large map showing all of the European city that we have visited.

There are four large cases in the gallery plus three smaller ones – one contains a model of Worms Cathedral under construction. Outside of the gallery room they have a larger case with St. Peter’s Rome and Palace of the Popes.

The exhibit opened yesterday, October, 10th and my wife and I visited it. It is extremely impressive, they have done a wonderful job displaying my models. They even bought a digital picture frame where they have continuous slides of the other models that I have made. The final photo shows the view of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception across from the library

There will be a formal reception given in my honor in two weeks. The exhibit will run until the end of January. They are producing a lot of publicity.

Paper modeling is not as well known in America as it is in European countries, nor do we have the publishers that other countries have. Not only am I greatly honored by this exhibit, but I think it will enlighten many people about the beauty and wonder of paper modeling.
Attached Thumbnails
A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09159.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09153.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09119.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09132.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09120.jpg  

A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09117.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09123.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09125.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09127.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09130.jpg  

A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09135.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09139.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09136.jpg   A wonderful recognition of paper models-dsc09156.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

That is great news. A well deserved honor. The exhibit should open some eyes to what can be done with paper.
They act as if you actually know what you are doing.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hmmm, sound like a good trip for Sunday Morning after the IPMC this year, if the library is open on Sundays.

Hint Hint nudge nudge
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Or maybe try to arrive early before IPMC starts
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
That's really wonderful!!
A great way to show your fine builds to others, and to get more people interested in paper modelling.
Congratulations on this exhibition.

Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Congratulations on such a great honor. From the photos it looks to be an impressive display.
It certainly would make for an interesting side trip from the convention.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Congratulations Thomas!
A real honor
Old 10-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Thomas,

Well deserved. Your work is excellent and I'm sure the collection will be much admired.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
Paper modeling is not as well known in America as it is in European countries, nor do we have the publishers that other countries have. Not only am I greatly honored by this exhibit, but I think it will enlighten many people about the beauty and wonder of paper modeling.
Congratulations! And good point.
Location map putting them in a location context is a good idea. The tile pattern on that dome really wants to be a model.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Congratulations on the honor and recognition. They really did an amazing work on the display cases. I hope to see it too!
Google Adsense