PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Some of you may recall that I began this model last October. In January I finished the Cathedral of the Castle and then started building the tiny Irish models in anticipation Irish cathedral quest in May.

In June I decided returned to Wawel Castle in the hopes of finishing it someday. As you can see from the photos below there are a number of tedious parts. I decided the next structure would be the palace the castle. I couldn’t work on it very long at a time because of all of the tiny columns in the colonnade that went around outside of the courtyard. To give some strength to these columns, I glued the sheet to a piece of card stock. Fortunately, I did not destroy any of the columns. At this point in the construction, I still have the roof which has a number of dormers and plus several outside towers to be finished.

I will keep you informed of my progress. At least I don’t have any more columns to cut :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-2-dsc00405.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-3-dsc00406.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-4-dsc00409.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-5-dsc00413.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-6-dsc00414.jpg  

Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-7-dsc00416.jpg  
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Very nice Thomas. The columns do look tedious - smart move gluing them to cardboard.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Thomas, your patience and fortitude in taking on this project, plus your posting of the steady progress on the build, are to be seriously congratulated. Just looking at the build on the Cathedral was enough to warrant prayers for your support. Well done, lad..I can see why building Tiny Ireland would come as a small relief !!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Your idea of adding the card was a good move and like Madbrit, I admire your perseverance.

As they say "the devil is in the detail". I found that once the buildings are completed there's pages of detail to add - but don't let that put you off ;-)))

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Hello Thomas ,

it looks very nice , I am Looking Forward by your projekt

Kind regards
Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Eternal Member

I am slowing down a lot now that I have reached 80. It is hard to believe that it has taken me five months to finish the palace at Wawel Castle. All of the little columns were very time-consuming. There are three small towers on the outside of the palace with very tiny and difficult parts for old fingers. So please don’t look at them too closely. I have included photos that I took on our visit of the part I just finished.

The next building at the castle, is the restrooms and information building. It appears to be easy to build. I am hoping to have this model finished before the IPMC in Sterling, Virginia at the end of October. I would also like to have time built several more models to take to the show. I have over 100 models yet to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-01-dsc00418.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-02-dsc00420.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-08-dsc08269.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-03-dsc00424.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-09-dsc08276.jpg  

Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-05-dsc00427.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-06-dsc08244.jpg  
Old 09-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Incredible detail on this model. Those tiny columns - well, that's just mean, LOL. This kit is like 10 Micromodels kits on steroids, only even more detailed. You're doing it proud. I too look forward to seeing it in person at IPMC, Sterling.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Hello Don, thanks for your kind words. I love your statement about Micromodels on steroids. There are six separate buildings on the castle grounds. I just about finished number three today. The other three remaining ones don't have all of the tiny difficult parts. I will put it on in the next several days
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well done on getting all this done Tom!

Looking good and an interesting model as well.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Eternal Member

Finally, after a year, I have finished this wonderful and very complex model. I have had a lot going on this past year, so I wasn’t able to work on it as often as I have for other models. I particularly wanted to have it finished for the IPMC show which is now less than three weeks away- Oct. 26 & 27. It a great show held at the Hampton Inn in Sterling, Va. Contact Peter Ansoff for more information [email protected].

This is probably the most detailed model that I have ever made, and Mike Stamper agrees, but it is true to every detail of the Castle, down to each tiny, tiny dormer and chimney and almost every lightbulb. The kit comes with a number of paper trees to assemble, which I felt took away from the perfect model of the castle, so I used model railroad trees which I think gives it an authentic look. It was a lovely place to visit, and the completed model brings back many memories of our visit last year.

Please look at our visit to Wawel Castle on my webpage- –CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe
Attached Thumbnails
Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-01-dsc08260.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-02-dsc00435.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-03-dsc08259.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-04-dsc00437.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-05-dsc00438.jpg  

Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-06-dsc00441.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-07-dsc00442.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-08-dsc00443.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-09-dsc00445.jpg   Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-10-dsc00446.jpg  

Wawel Castle - Krakow, Poland-11-dsc00451.jpg  

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 10-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Google Adsense