PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
The Shandon Tower and St. Anne's Church in Cork, Ireland, is the latest model produced by Anke Eckhardt designer of the Tiny Ireland models (Hand painted gift kits for you to build your favourite Irish town.. Ii is a beautiful and detailed model of a lovely church which we look forward to visiting in the near future. This is a separate kit of just this church. It has a number of parts which fit together extremely well. Like all of her models that I have already made this one is beautifully crafted and colored to the authentic colors of the real building. There are a lot of photos on the web.

There is a separate kit of five lovely buildings in Cork which I have already started and will display in a few days.

Built in 1722 as a chapel of ease to the former St. Mary’s Church Shandon, which was originally situated on this site but was destroyed in the Seige of Cork in 1690. The site where St Anne's stands and St Mary's stood, has been a site of worship since before medieval times.

The Tower forms a striking landmark, visible from many parts of the city, with its red sandstone (North & East) and white ashlar limestone (South & West).

The steps of the tower are built into the 7 foot thick walls and climb up past the clocks, through the belfry to the balcony 118 feet above the ground. The tower was raised in height in 1750 to accommodate the eight bells.

The bells were cast by Abel Rudhall of Gloucester in 1750, and have been recast twice since in 1869 & 1908.

The bells weigh over 6 tons altogether The bells are rung on a fixed bells system called an 'Ellacombe' system. The bell remains static and when you pull the rope, the clapper hits the bell. They can be rung from the first floor.

The Clock was erected by Cork Corporation in 1847, and given the name ‘the four faced liar’ by locals who noticed that the four clocks were not always in agreement of the exact time. The clock faces are 14 feet in diameter

The fish shaped weather vane is a salmon, known locally as ‘de goldie fish’ and is over 13 feet long and painted in gold leaf. It symbolizes the salmon fishing industry, which was very important to Cork and also the sign of a fish is very appropriate on a church as the fish is an early Christian symbol for the name of the Lord.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny Ireland models-1-dsc09280.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-2-dsc09279.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-3-dsc09278.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-4-dsc09277.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-5-dsc09276.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Amazing! How long did it take you to construct this?

The "four faced liar"! I like that...
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great looking little church, Thomas.

Fred
Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Hello Thomas ,

The artwork of this church model is just wonderful.

This naive hand drawing is something very special.

Best regards from Austria

Kurt
Old 02-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you Michael, Fred and Kirk for you kind remarks. I am now adding Cork models. Have a look.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Eternal Member

I just finished the Tiny Ireland Cork models. They are as beautiful was the rest of Tiny Ireland's models. From L to R : Edward B. Sheehan LTD tool store, Inchigeela Dairy, The English Market, The South Mall Office and Hi B Bar & Minhonn Chemistry. They all have informative web pages with pictures of the actual buildings. Have a look. I look forward to visiting these models in several more months.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny Ireland models-1-dsc09281.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-2-dsc09294.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-5-dsc09286.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-1-dsc09291.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-3-dsc09284.jpg  

Tiny Ireland models-6-dsc09288.jpg   Tiny Ireland models-7-dsc09289.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Really beautiful models Thomas!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Very colorful! We don't see the colour (for the Brits) in B&W photos and old lithographs. You do great work.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
They all look real good. That Edward B. Sheehan LTD tool store is especially nice.
Are you going to take some models and take a picture of them in front of the actual buildings?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You have done a really great job on the Tiny Ireland Cork models Thomas. The color of The English Market appeals to me. IT would be cool to take pics of the models in front of the actual buildings when you are there as Doug suggested. Great job sir!
Google Adsense