PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Simple Rowing Boat

After the cannons I wanted to start working on the boats I have planned. I have really big plans and to make it real I decided to start with something small: A simple rowing boat.

Useable for the fishermen in the small village, for going between docks and piers in the harbour of a larger city and also to be used to connect to the large galleon anchoring out in the bay.

I have made this boat a couple of years ago but I didn't like the short and plump shape. Also I wanted to use my new wood textures. It is a waterline version and is designed to be used in tabletop gaming.

I then stretched the existing geometry into my desired shape and got this.

I also decoupled the sitting bars. In the old model they had to be glued in place. If one wants to play with minis it might be useful to take it out, although my minis bases fit through the openings just fine.

The whitebuild I hand texture-sketched and then I put it together with the other sea-boat-pirate themed modules I have made so far.

Now I am ready to start the texturing!

Cheers,
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Arrrr, it be a fair wind that blows fair. Arrr.
That is a good shape for a small boat.

There is a video game called Sea of Thieves that does not have a small boat. You have to swim most of the time if you want to leave the ship. Probably because the developers want you to fight sharks.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Arrrr, it be a fair wind that blows fair. Arrr.
That is a good shape for a small boat.

There is a video game called Sea of Thieves that does not have a small boat. You have to swim most of the time if you want to leave the ship. Probably because the developers want you to fight sharks.
LOL ... The needs of computer gaming might be different to the real ones

One reason I am making these boats is because I wanted to improve the shapes. There are a couple of paper boats for gaming out there, but they all have very simplified or even boxy shapes. So I am hoping to be able to get the shape right.

Here comes the textured version. I went for a simple wood texture as I imagine a rowing boat would not have fancy paint jobs as the larger vessels.

I added some tabs for the inlay part to better be able to position it right.

I textured the underside so that it would blend in and not pop out as white!

As a final step I created optional oars and oar holders if you want to go detail crazy

So here it is: the rowing boat!

Next I want to build one of the longer versions of rowing boats. I have often seen them in Pirate movies, where a group of British naval soldiers are rowing in such a boat with 2-4 rowing lines. Not sure what they are called though. They belong to bigger ships and are used to transport troops to and from.

Cheers,
Chris

Tags
row boat