PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Early Irish Monastery

In November, I found the Cuspa website that featured some Irish models -Cuspa1 . I downloaded a sample model of an Irish monastery. It whetted my appetite to obtain the rest the Cuspa 9 models. I had to download an order form and fill it out and mail it with a personal check to Ireland. I could not order online. That was in November.

I have never received the order nor has my check been cashed. I have written two emails and received no answers. I recently found that Diderick at Zeistbouwplaten.nl had 2 models. He said they were a part of a collection that he was selling so I ordered them. In several weeks, they arrived.

They looked fascinating, so I decided to take a short break from Tiny Ireland to make the Early Irish Monastery - here it is.

It was copyrighted 1984 and since there is no communication with Cuspa, I assume they have been out of business for a number of years, but left their website up. You can still download the sample model which is a small model on one of the churches on the model below.

A lot of information about the model is written on the cover. It dates back to the 10th and 11th centuries. The model has a high Celtic Cross based on the famous 10th century Monasterboice cross in County Louth. The Round Tower is typical of many which were used as bell towers and later places of refuge for the monks and their treasures. The churches are replica of those still seen at Glendalough. The larger church is Trinity church and the small is St. Kevin's dating from the 11th and 12th century. The smallest building is the priest's house.

Similar monastic building can be seen in Clonmacnoise, County Offaly; Monasterboice, County Louth; Kilmacduagh, County Galway and on two County Clare Island of Inishcealtra and Scattery.

The second building I received is an Irish Georgian Country Mansion , Castle House, County Kildare dating from 1722. I will build this in the next month or so and put it on a thread.

Below this thread is one about Bunratty Castle by cjwalas which is another Cuspa Model. I also have Bunratty Castle by Tiny Ireland. It can be seen on my Tiny Ireland thread.

If any one knows where I might find the Cuspa Model of Christ Church, Dublin please let me know. I would also like to have the remaining Cuspa models.

I hope I run into several of the Early Irish Monasteries on our upcoming trip to Ireland.
Attached Thumbnails
Early Irish Monastery-2-dsc09296.jpg   Early Irish Monastery-3-dsc09299.jpg   Early Irish Monastery-4-dsc09297-2-.jpg   Early Irish Monastery-5-dsc09300.jpg   Early Irish Monastery-6-dsc09301.jpg  

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 02-16-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Have you done the Pepachal model of St. Kevin's? I'm not sure why he inset the wall so much, but a nice model. I'm still kicking myself for not joining my girlfriend on a trip there just over a year ago. nine day trip with air fare for $698, but timing was all wrong.

I hope you get to go to the Gallarus Oratory and Skellig Michael. take lots of photos
Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Vermin, good to hear from you again. I was not familiar with the Pepachal model, but looked it up tonight. I see what you mean about the wall. Photos 2, 5, & 6 above are of St. Kevin's.

I hope that you will stop kicking yourself (not good for you) and find the right time to go. Maybe your girl friend would like to go again

I do have the model kit for Gallarus Oratory, but not sure whether we will get to see it. I will take lots of photos as usual.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
One of these days I need to go back and clean up the model I did of the Gallarus Oratory. Need to fix the peak stones.

On the Pepachal model, I think just pasting the inset straight to the wall, instead of having the exaggerated inset would improve the model immensely. Is your round tower the one that sits on the grounds of St. Kevin's?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:52 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks for sharing this with us!

If I remember correctly, Fiddler's Green has an Irish round tower?

Just in case your interested!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Those are neat subjects Thomas. Thanks as always for sharing them and the odessey in getting it.