PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
Olkiluto III

Good evening Ricardo and hello to all of you,

I'm very glad to see that Ricardo took the opportunity to assemble this cardmodel designed by me in 2004 - and I'm also happy to see this in his skilful hands.
THANK YOU Ricardo!!!

To answer some of the questions:
• the LaserCut add-on never left the prototype stage due to some very complex circumstances. After more than 14 years I think it is not necessary to explain them ... :-)
• the model is no longer available commercially; Areva in Erlangen gave notice in 2016 that the model was sold out completely. Personally I've got a handfuf copies left for reference purposes.

BUT having sold 5,000 copies of this model means also that 5,000 DVDs were sold too - and this DVD contains both versions of the model, the 1/350 and the 1/800 ... as PDFs layed out on A4 an Letter formats

The model Olkiluoto III may be recognized as a certain kind of successor of the first nuclear power plant cardmodel; a PWR 1,300 Megawatt "Konvoy" erected by Siemens/KWU in the late 1970ties early 1980ties on several locations in Germany - I designed this model in 1983 in the traditonal way using drawing board, rulers, triangles, compasses and ink pens ...
The enclosed picture shows the assembled 1983 card model PWR 1,300 Megawatt »Konvoy« ... This 1/350 1983 model is - by the way - available as a download from one of my websites: download-mitgliedermodelle

Ricardo, keep on the good work ...

Cheers
Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-kkw-dwr-komplett.jpg  

Last edited by Thomas Pleiner; 03-16-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.67 GB
Thanks Thomas for the info and the wonderful kits.

Sorry to hear the Detailed 1:350 kit, not being available anymore.

I think as a retired facilities designer, I would have enjoy building it.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyaneward View Post
Thanks Thomas for the info and the wonderful kits.

Sorry to hear the Detailed 1:350 kit, not being available anymore.

I think as a retired facilities designer, I would have enjoy building it.
Hello Dwyane,

you may eventually contact Peter Heesch (Precision Card Models) in Herndon/VA ... may he has some copies left ...

regards
Thomas
Old 03-19-2018, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Fred,

I always wanted to get my hands on one of these models. We had one show up a few years ago at our IPMS-OC Orange Con. it received a first in Paper models. The builder had a UV LED in the reactor to simulate the Vavilov-Cherenkov radiation.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Glad for the information you share about the laser cut set. I might well have been a client
At this small scale, the railing would be a challenge, even for laser cut! I didn’t open the columns but it will be different with the roof support beams

@ Thomas - 5000 copies is quite a success! I wonder how many were actually built.

The first picture show what I assume are air-conditioning pipes. The others show the upper part of the columns, placed above a large beam that supports the main rolling crane.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c010.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c011.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c012.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c013.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
@ Thomas - 5000 copies is quite a success! I wonder how many were actually built.
Good morning Ricardo,

well, about how many EPR-models were actually built ... personally I know about three that were built by a former Framaton/Areva engineer, one was built by a group of norwegian students, another one was built by a korean modeler, two were built by modelers from the U.S., another one was started by a canadian modeler (but not finished, as far as I know) .... that makes less ten in the end ...

Cheers
Thomas
Old 03-21-2018, 03:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
To hijack the thread, I have an original company version I regularly look at and say "some day". But would reeeeeeally like to find a 1/200 Pleiner Prinz Eugen . Anyone?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmarrel View Post
... But would reeeeeeally like to find a 1/200 Pleiner Prinz Eugen . Anyone?
Hello Douglas,

being pretty irritated that someone even knows about this »youthful misdeed« of mine ... »Eugen" was in 1/250 and I worked on the model design from 1975 to 1980. Finally published in 1996 by cfm, followed by a re-designed (Pongratz) version in 2003 ... enclosed some black an white pictures from the 1977 test-assembly and two pictures (© Jochen Halbey) from 1997 ....
The 1996 issue is sold out since twenty years... and due to the fact that this »Eugen«-cardmodel was drawn in the traditional way, there is neither a digital backup nor stored offset films ore printing plates. Of course my old drawings on ultra-heavy cardboard still exist ... as a reminder of old days... Maybe it is interesting to know that originally this design was ordered by "Wilhelmshavener" early 1975, so the complete design, the overall »look-and-feel« was very, very close to the style of Gerhardt Neubert (Designer for Wilhelmshavener until 1969).

(sorry Ricardo - enough with this - back to the ERP)
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-bridge.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-katapult.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-front.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-prinz-eugen-halbey-2005-11-15.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-prinz-eugen-halbey-2005-11-15-.jpg  

Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Less than 10?! Well, there should be more, hidden somewhere. It is true that the model is large, time consuming and not so visually attractive for the casual buyer as, for example, the Nuremberg Cathedral . But when you start building and understanding, it is extremely interesting!

The columns on the shorter wall have small notches to take the rolling crane rail. Regarding the two smaller walls, they take a fair share of reinforcements, easy to cut and assemble.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c014.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c015.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c016.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c017.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 07:42 AM

The doors and other apertures can be given a bit of depth by adding optional parts. It is an easy undertaking but you have to look carefully to notice any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c018.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c019.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c020.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
1/350, mtp, olkiluoto 3 power plantm