PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350

My next architecture model will be very different from the more common cathedrals, castles and palaces. It represents a nuclear power plant with a pressurized water reactor. As far as I know, the real thing (Olkiluoto 3) is still under construction in Finland.
The model is at the relatively small scale of 1/350. Notwithstanding, it will be a large model, with a base of around 80cm x 90cm. The modeler has the choice to build the “easy” (outside only), medium and “hard” versions of the kit. The most ambitious version has over 3000 parts, mainly for the interior. Not surprisingly, I’ll do my best to deal with the “hard” version…
As you can see in the pictures, it is a huge kit, very well produced. The instructions, in German and English, include both general hints for paper modeling and many assembly diagrams, put together in a A4 booklet. I never count the hours for modeling, as it could result in psychological pressure not really welcome for such a nice hobby. For those who care about that, the kit contains a full list of parts and a rough estimation of the time needed to assemble each building! The parts are printed on 32 A3 pages and one A4. The paper quality is very good and the modest thickness is very much to my taste. There are also the front and the rear covers, printed on thick card, some sheets of 0,5mm card for reinforcement and the enormous base that has to be glued onto something solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c001.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c002.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c003.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c004.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c005.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
This is one of the best architectural card models ever designed. I obtained a free one, on DVD, from the AREVA company who is, as far as I know, the builders an designers of the full size power plant. It was supposed to enter in operation in 2012 but they have had several problems so its finishing has been postponed. They sent me the brochure called "Pressurized Water Reactor 1600 MWe (EPR)" informing all about the power plant and the DVD also includes information on how the plant is being built, how it works and naturally both models.

The model is fantastic, designed by Thomas Pleiner and it really comes out beautiful. But it has a lot of work. So much that the designer recommends to tackle it by a team of several people. It is also a very big model. As you state, there is also a simplified version, for those who find the detailed model too much work.

I haven't built the model because it means a lot of time and perhaps my enthusiasm will go down and never finish it.

Good luck and please keep us posted on its progress.

RICK
Old 03-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Talk about co-incidences - I was after humming and hawing, - about to get this out and start on it. I have had it sitting around for a couple of years.

However, two of the same builds at the same time is probably a bit much, so I'll put mine to one side for a while more.

I have plenty of other things to make!

Good luck Rickleite....

---------------------------------------

And yes Rick, it is a super kit and looks very interesting to build. Despite the number of pieces, I think it will be a relatively easy build, as there is very little in the way of repetitive parts.

I think as you mentioned, time will be the main killer of anything - at two pages a month that's 16 months work - I suspect in my case a couple of years would be more realistic as I am not a fast builder!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Came very close to starting this one two weeks ago. Was playing around with the CD but decided instead to do the Sagrada Familia from Canon which I had lying around. (Enlarged and printed on 12" x 18"). My first model was the Japanese version. This one looks more interesting. Planning on building the Domus one also. Would be a great comparison to have all three.

Will be following this thread. Are you going to add lights?

Fred
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
By the way, Thomas Pleiner is a member here.

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looks like a very worthwhile, yet challenging project. I’ll be following the progress.
Good luck with the build.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Another one Fred! Coincidence on coincidence!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the comments
This is not my first Thomas Pleiner designed model (Cologne cathedral, probably) nor the prettiest (Nuremberg cathedral, surely!) but it is the most complex and clearly designed to a very high standard.
@ Fred - you know that I like to stick to the basic kit (basic is a good joke, regarding this one ). The idea is to make many assemblies detachable and add a wooden base.

The instructions suggest starting the assembly with some of the simpler buildings. I opted to start with the biggest – the turbine building. The pictures show the inside walls. You only get a glimpse of the real size by looking at the doors in a small “box” inside – top right of the second picture. The main floor level is well above the outside terrain and much detail will be added in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c006.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c007.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Wonderful! I've been keeping this one in the "to do" box for several years and never dared to start it... Following this thread will be a good surrogate of a first person build...

When I received the kit (btw I confirm the great quality of all the material included) I studied carefully the drawings wondering how would I have liked to build this model and I considered the possibility to add some lights to it (I saw some photos showing the reactor glowing from inside). Do you plan to do something like that?

EDIT: excuse me... I didn't see Fred already asked you about lights...
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM

Hello Tonino, thanks for the comment and I hope this thread will be useful

The side columns lower section can be opened (cutting the grey triangles). However, they are so small that I decided not even to try. Quite clearly, such parts would be prime candidates for an eventual laser cut set.
Attached Thumbnails
Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c008.jpg   Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350-olkiluoto-c009.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
1/350, mtp, olkiluoto 3 power plantm