PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.04 MB
Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt

Well, it is about time to start a build thread. As far as I am aware, no one as yet has posted the Leon Schuijt "Los hoes" paper model on this site as of today, so here we go.

It seems a fairly simple kit, but I might be mistaken. I will certainly not follow the building order that is suggested by the numbers on the kit. I most likely will build four sub-assemblies and tie them together in the end.

To start, lets show you the model before I did do any damage to it. I also want to mention that my version does not have the best printing quality. Blue, red and yellow do not line up entirely, as the chimney-cap demonstrates. This will not show if you look at the model from a distance, but it might be noticeable in photos.
The model does not have an interior, but I want to open up most, if not all doors, so I make the interior black (cheap HEMA black marker). It helps that the cardboard is of the coated kind, so a solvent based marker does not easily bleed through.

As the last picture of today, the first finished sub-assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3830_adj.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3856_adj.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3839_adj.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3845.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3858_adj.jpg  

Christiaan
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looks an interesting kit

Will be following this build thread

Tim
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Christiaan - that looks like a model.

At the end of the day I still like architectural models the most...
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Ah! That's an oldie. Build this one loooong time ago when I was 12 years old or so. There is something incredibly irresistible about these old Leon Schuijt publications. Must be the nostalgic feeling I get. Good luck with the build and I will follow your thread with great interest.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
As Erik says, this kit is an old 'un to be sure. I've built, or tried to build, several of Leon's old architectural models - although not Los Hoes. Some of them went together very nicely and had a lovely vintage look to them, but others were a design nightmare which I had to abandon. I hope this model belongs to the former category. Will follow this build with interest. Good Luck!
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Time for a little update

To those of you who have experience with Leon Schuijt models, they indeed can be a nightmare to fit. So far, this model does fit quite nice.

I decided to alter the model just a bid. I want most of the doors to open, to ad some 3D-quality to the build. To prevent looking in a "white hole" I made most if not all backsides (interior walls) black, as well as the interior floorspace. It included designing some barn-doors, as the original model only has some black hatching as barn doors.

Oh, and as you can see: the pigsty, at least that is what I think it is, is up already.
Attached Thumbnails
Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3867.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3866.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3863.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3829_clip.jpg  

Christiaan
Old 03-17-2018, 02:38 PM

To the finish line

Well, the pigsty is a hen house, according to the description on the model.

As some of you warned, and as as knew from previous experience with this publisher. Some mis alignment would turn up sooner or later. The front door and the barn doors don't line up with the pavement and track way drawn on the ground plan. Well, that is minor.
Also the ridge tile on the barn does not fit, or the chimney would be misaligned. I chose to color a piece of cardboard and fill in the missing piece on the back, directly behind the chimney, so it is hardly noticeable. The overlap on the front can be trimmed as soon as the glue hardens.

Because the door to the hay loft is open, I added a floor in the roof (attic?) of the barn. It is, however, somewhat dark on the photo. The only evidence of a floor, is the fact that you don't see the light from the front door.

Last but not least, a picture of the finished product, including the well in the front garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3869.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3876_clip.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3871.jpg   Los Hoes; Leon Schuijt-dsc_3880.jpg  

Christiaan
Old 03-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, you nailed it and the results are great!

Great little model.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
It looks a treat!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You did a nice job. I really like it!
Google Adsense