PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Wells Cathedral is looking really good! Like following along as the model develops.

Fred
Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
More Wells again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seascape View Post
Wells Cathedral is looking really good! Like following along as the model develops.

Fred
Thanks for that, Anyway, here's some more. The drawings are all 3 x published size and they're for the two west towers. Sadly, for me at least, some faces of the towers are subtly different and so there is more drawing to do. I am very impatient to get the west front done. It is the most magnificent part of Wells Cathedral and I have practically fried my brain trying to get it right. I reckon the end of this week will see all the main elements in place. After that: the cloisters - and they're big - then buttresses, buttresses, buttresses and then when all that is done, I shall write the instructions and draw the diagrams.
Attached Thumbnails
Wells Cathedral-101_1456.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1455.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1454.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1426.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1442.jpg  

Old 08-30-2018, 03:16 PM

More Wells again.

I have now drawn all of the cloisters and glued the model to its base. Before I do the buttresses and pinnacles, I need to get some watercolour painting done as I have some art club demos coming up.
Attached Thumbnails
Wells Cathedral-101_1601.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1579.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1591.jpg  
Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Starting to look like Wells!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:16 AM

Hello Rupert,

oh, that looks very good,

I'm looking forward to it when wells is done

Best regards from Austria
Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM

More Wells again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrian Spitfire View Post
Hello Rupert,

oh, that looks very good,

I'm looking forward to it when wells is done

Best regards from Austria
Kurt
Here are some photos of the towers now that I have started to add the buttresses and pinnacles. They are definitely looking more Wells-like now. The hard part will be to write the instructions so that they clearly and precisely show anyone who chooses to do so, how to make the model well.
For my part, I have literally started dreaming about this model as I try to work out the various parts!
Attached Thumbnails
Wells Cathedral-101_1833.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1826.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1824.jpg   Wells Cathedral-101_1812.jpg  
Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That looks gorgeous - it captures the real thing very well indeed!
Old 09-15-2018, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Rupert, the insight into your design and modelling process is fascinating! The fact that you design by hand, with an iteration process that requires patience, skill and vision, is simply amazing.

Yes, there are many modellers out there who are skillful with software that is capable of turning a 3D object into something that can be printed on flat paper or card, and then re-assembled back into a 3D object. But to have the talent to undertake this using eye and hand is astonishing!

The detail you capture using your, shall we say, 'traditional' methods is remarkable. It gives these wonderful models of ancient buildings an entirely appropriate old-fashioned patina. So, despite you saying that the large-sized drawings are necessary for your declining eyesight (hey, isn't the ageing process a real bummer? ), I think that even in the reduction back to print-production size, you have actually given the textures and details some grain that truly enhances the final product.

More power to your very capable elbow, Sir!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
The artwork on your model is just gorgeous! Beautiful build!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Rupert, the insight into your design and modelling process is fascinating! The fact that you design by hand, with an iteration process that requires patience, skill and vision, is simply amazing.

Yes, there are many modellers out there who are skillful with software that is capable of turning a 3D object into something that can be printed on flat paper or card, and then re-assembled back into a 3D object. But to have the talent to undertake this using eye and hand is astonishing!

The detail you capture using your, shall we say, 'traditional' methods is remarkable. It gives these wonderful models of ancient buildings an entirely appropriate old-fashioned patina. So, despite you saying that the large-sized drawings are necessary for your declining eyesight (hey, isn't the ageing process a real bummer? ), I think that even in the reduction back to print-production size, you have actually given the textures and details some grain that truly enhances the final product.

More power to your very capable elbow, Sir!
I am overwhelmed by your praise. I though everybody worked this way. As a professional watercolour artist and life-long observer and problem-solver, this method of working comes naturally to me. Most of the design work of these models is done in my head until my brain almost literally aches. The relief I get from committing it all to paper is palpable. The biggest headache I ever had was in trying to imagine the west front of Peterborough Cathedral. That one nearly foxed me!! I was saved by a drone video on youtube and watched it more times than I care to remember. Suddenly though, it clicked and a great burden just fell away: it was amazing really.
Attached Thumbnails
Wells Cathedral-0000077_model-peterborough-cathedral.jpg  
Google Adsense