PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great! I liked the shot of the partially-completed model at your tidy workspace.

I look forward to seeing you at Sterling in October with this model and the Tiny Ireland models (which, I presume, include a fishmonger's shop in keeping with the "Something Fishy" theme).

Don
Old 07-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Nice work Thomas -

Big models are complicated but Schreiber help a lot with great subjects and excellent kits, but they're still not for the feint heated!

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank all of you who responded to this thread. I appreciate your kind remarks. I think I will finish Worms Cathedral tomorrow and will post the finished model as soon as I do. I am very pleased with the results. Mike, I do think some of faint hearted would enjoy making it, I know I did. I did wait;however, until I got my new heart valve to finish it
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Here is the finished model of Worms Cathedral. There are several unique features about this church. First, it does not have a West façade with a front door as most churches. The West façade consists of an apse, a rounded structure, that is generally found at the East End of Gothic Church. The entrance to the Worms Cathedral is in the middle of the south side and leads directly to the side aisle. Once inside, the church appears to have an apse at each end, like Maria Laach Monastery near Cologne. So how did a flat wall become an apse with windows that receive light from the outside. The answer is that the apse behind the altar is built inside the flat surface and the windows have what I have read are called tunnels to the exterior windows which bring the light into the church. The apse at the West, which would normally be the entrance is a small chapel. I am attaching interior photos of the West and East ends.

Since we visited 11 years ago, I don’t recall whether I noticed that two towers at West end of the church are different at the top. The North Tower has small single windows and only a few small windows in the walls of other areas of the tower. The South Tower has several windows in the place of a single window and a number of small windows up and down the tower. This is one advantage of building the model before visiting the real building as I noticed the difference immediately on the model and might miss them on the real building

Worms Cathedral which dates back to the seventh century was destroyed by fire and war several times and rebuilt each time, so there is an interesting history to this beautiful church. I have written about some of its on my webpage on our visit to Worms. Please have a look. Our 2007 Cathedralquest to experience cathedrals in Germany,Day 7 in Worms and Speyer

Photo #1 is South side with the main entrance to the left of the transcept. Photo #2 is the North Side. Photo #3 is the flat East End. Photo # 4 is the East End from inside with the rounded interior apse. Photo #5 show the West End with no entrance instead an apse. Photo #6 is the actual West End. Photo# 7 is the interior of the West End Apse. Photo # 8 shows the two towers with the different tops.

I shall now return to the building of Wawel Castle in Krakow, Poland which I started before making the Tiny Ireland Models. I still have a long, long way to go to finish it. I got three new GPM models that we visited in Poland in the mail today. They look exciting and very difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Worms Cathedral -Germany-01-dsc00398.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-05-dsc00403.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-1-dsc00397.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-06-img_0554.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-04-dsc00402.jpg  

Worms Cathedral -Germany-09-img_0587.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-07-img_0558.jpg   Worms Cathedral -Germany-02-dsc00400.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Impressive build, Thomas. And impressive historical notes, as always. Well done.

Derek
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
Very nice! This one is on my build list, it will be nice to have this thread as a resource.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work, Thomas!

Don
Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Thomas,

That is really fabulous. An amazing amount of work. You truly love this hobby.
Live, Laff, Love...