PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-01-2018, 02:35 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Schloss Lichtenstein redux

The first card model that I ever finished was Schreiber's Lichtenstein castle in 1:160 scale. The completed model featured the usual learning curve errors, but I was happy and proud just to have gotten through it. Besides my rookie build mistakes,the kit was printed on glossy paper, which I never really liked the look of. As my skills improved, the castle was eventually discarded, but a redo was always in the back of my mind.

At last year's IPMC, Peter Heesch of H&B Precision Card Models was on had with cases of Schreiber models for sale. I searched high and low for Lichtenstein, but alas it was nowhere to be found. Peter told me he had inventoried only a little over half of the 40 cases of Schreiber kits that he owned, and he promised to dig through his inventory to look for it. A few months later, I was thrilled to receive a package from Peter containing 3 opened Lichtenstein kit parts pages. Thank you Peter! One kit was glossy, one was matte, and one was matte with a couple of parts cut out and assembled. There was also one cover page and one instruction page in German. I told Peter I would bring the assembled model to 2018's IPMC, so I had better get started.

Although it has a very medieval look about it, construction on Lichtenstein castle began in 1840 on a freestanding pinnacle of rock that at one time was used as a warrior knight's fortress. A drawbridge spans the gap between the castle and adjoining sheer cliff face. The main tower was damaged by allied bombing during WWII, but it has been fully restored. Several generations of the same family has owned the castle since it was built, and it is now a popular tourist destination. Many beautiful photos can be seen at the castle website: https://www.schloss-lichtenstein.de/en/

Schreiber models are assembled, for the most part, in numerical order, so lets start with part 1. I reinforced all four sides, and it's roof with thin corrugated cardboard. One side of this cardboard is usually flat, and the corrugations make it resistant to warping. I also glued the ground plan to quarter inch thick foam core for future use. One glue tab turns part 1 into a rectangle, followed by the roof. I stepped out of numerical order to add the gables and chimney. So far, so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0724181108.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726180956a.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 08-01-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: correcting the year
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Part 2 has only 3 sides and a roof. It connects directly to the front of part 1. After attaching the roof, I glued part 2 to part 1, and then added a gable to the roof, and a small addition to the wall. I also formed the chapel/patio and attached it to the rear of part 1. The rock pinnacle drops away dramatically from below this patio. The view is wonderful, but just don't look down. The first picture is another view of part 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726180956b.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726180956.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726181356.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726181356a.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726181505.jpg  

Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Looks good.
Just visited the website. That castle has some nice scenery inside and out.
I like the numbering system Schreiber uses in their models. Makes it easy to know what part goes where.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 379.18 MB
Hi Don,

that will be a nice model.
I visited the castle some years ago: small, but well worth seeing.

Regards
Dieter
Attached Thumbnails
Schloss Lichtenstein redux-cimg0972.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 02:24 PM

I appreciate your comments, fellas. It is a beautiful castle, Dieter. Thanks for sharing your photo.

I moved on to the cylindrical tower next. In my first build of this model, I messed up this part, scoring the glue tab all the way to the top, so that the tower had more of a teardrop shape. I was very careful not to repeat my error this time, and scored only the lower portion of the glue tab(s). The addition of the tower with it's decorative crenelations really adds to the eye appeal of the model. After the tower was glued on and offered some protection, I added the tall roof to the delicate bell tower, as well as the octagon shaped decorative lookout out front, and a small half cylinder to the side. Schreiber only colored 7 of the 8 panels on the lookout's steep roof, but this publisher's error was quickly remedied with water colors. So far the fit of each and every part has been perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726181857.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0726181858.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0730180823.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-0730180825.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Schreiber's Lichtenstein was one of the very first models I built and I was well pleased with the result. Following your thread brings back memories of some happy times.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 PM

The next step was to mount the castle onto its ground plan. I glued the ground plan onto a piece of foam core, trimmed around the edges, and then glued the castle assembly to it. I could see right away that the front half of the foam core wanted to curve upwards, so on the underside I cut a series of slots so that it would be easy to bend back to flat when installing the drawbridge and its pier.

After that, the paper model fairy stopped by, and assembled the rest of the kit. Unfortunately, paper model fairies don't carry cameras, so the rest of the build isn't documented. He told me that a couple of the rocky surround pieces were a little stubborn, and needed one or two extra scores and slight mountain and/or valley folds to achieve the best fit. Other than that, he says, everything fit together very well. Finally, he cut a 1/4 inch strip of poster board and wrapped it around the ground plan to hide the ugly side of the foam core.

I'll be bringing the castle with me to the IPMC next weekend, so some of you will be able to see his handiwork in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castlea.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castleb.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castlec.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castled.jpg   Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castlee.jpg  

Schloss Lichtenstein redux-castlef.jpg  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Great build, a very interesting subject.

Mike
Old 10-18-2018, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work, as always, Don!

I have one of these deep in my stash (must be 30-40 years old). It is great to see one built so beautifully.

Don (too)
Old 10-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Splendid work. Very well done. Very nice architecture.
Google Adsense