PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-08-2018, 04:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik ,

Suaber, clean, the graphics are beautiful, that's another model I would like to build.

One of a thousand or more?

Best regards
Kurt
Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
I've made quite a few of Leon's kits and your comments about the fit of parts sounds familiar!

Having been to the Frans Hals a couple of times, I thought I'd build the church, however the colour of the roof seemed a bit too blue so I decided not to buy the kit.

I'll follow your great build process and see how it looks when finished.

Cheers

Mike
Old 09-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Eternal Member

Erik, I have been following your posts with great interest. St.Bavo is a beautiful church, which I would like to see and build. Two years ago we were in Amsterdam. I was unaware that the church was so near and that there was a model available. I have really been struggling with my desire to purchase the model.

Here is the problem. I have 81 models built and have seen all of them except 2 in person. I have 69 more models to build that we have visited. I also have 51 models kits of places that we haven't visited but would hope to someday. So that means that I have 120 models to make. I figured if I made one month, it would take 10 years and I would be 90. How about one every two weeks, that would be five years and I would only be 85 :-) I really want to build all of the models that I have seen in person, so when I finish the 69 models, I will consider St Bavo. Since I hit 80, I have slowed down. I'm still working on Wawel Castle which I started last October. I'm working to finish it in the next several days as I have nowhere to go (no doctors appointments) the rest of the week

Keep up the good work and I will enjoy building this church vicariously.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The northwest corner

Thank you gents! I agree that the colors are a bit too bright compared to the real thing but on the other hand, that's the charm of hand colored models of pre-computer designed era which are not "photo-realistic".

Tom, that's a huge dilemma! Maybe it's just best not to think of time too much, but just start building what you like to do? The fun of modeling is building and see where the process takes you. It shouldn't be like production work, at least that would kill the peace of mind this hobby is for me.

Alright, next the side walls and adjacent smaller buildings at the northwest side of the church. Also, these side walls are somewhat too low if you take the markings of the aisle section as reference. So I decided to glue a base plate underneath the side wall of 0.5mm thick and then placed the wall and its “sub” base to the church plan to sufficiently increase the wall height.

Installing the remaining smaller buildings, columns and other parts that make up this section is an easy job and the fit is at the least acceptable. Certainly not difficult. Finally, the slanted roof section to complete this corner of the church complex. It is wise to reinforce the back of the roof with 0.5mm cardboard, to enable easier installation. I also added cardboard to reinforce the top section of the main ship - it's the part with the date written on it.

The low building stretching the entire side of the north western corner actually holds the access to the church for visitors outside service hours. This is the side facing the market square. Upon entering you walk through a shop and have to pay a small entrance fee to visit. Then, you walk through a door that leads to the church itself and to your left will find a completed paper model of the St-Bavo in a show case. For me that was the moment I decided to get a copy once and for all. It’s sold in the shop for just over half of the price of what you would have to pay in a regular hobby shop. So, should you happen to be in Haarlem and visiting this church, don’t miss out on this golden opportunity….

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7568.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7569.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7570.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7567.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7571.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7572.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7586.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7587.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7588.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7591.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7592.jpg  
Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
It is looking better and better!

But you have to pay to visit the real church?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 AM

Hello Erik,
I’m glad you are assembling this lovely kit
I built a copy in 2013 and keep good memories. The not so good part regards the bold dashed fold lines...
Anyway, the model is so colorful that those lines almost disappear from view!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
So I decided to glue a base plate underneath the side wall of 0.5mm thick and then placed the wall and its “sub” base to the church plan to sufficiently increase the wall height.

Hello Erik,

Just curious: a correction on a papermodel of 0.5mm?
Is this baseplate what we see in your first picture in this message?
This cannot be corrected when scoring the gluetabs?

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 AM

The southwest corner

Time for an update !

@Kevin: Yes, I'm afraid you have to pay for a visit. I admit, it's a bit odd as churches are public places but it's a token fee

@ Ricardo: Indeed, the folding lines are quite prominent but I agree, with the abundant prints in the background they are not so visible

@ Ponytail: Please refer to write-up below

The next cluster of adjacent small buildings is located at the southwest side of the church. This is a relatively complicated corner as there’s quite some variety of “add-ons”. It’s a pleasure to build though and the fit is more than good.

I used a lot of thin cardboard to reinforce the walls of the small buildings, which helps to properly align them on the base plate and to get a better “grip” when gluing them next to each other. Once all buildings are in place only then the roofs should be placed. It’s not necessary to follow the numerical order of the parts, I simply built from left to right, gluing anything in its place that came along.

Again, the outer church wall is just a bit too short. When dry-fitting the slanted roof the upper gluing tab on the main wall ended up about 1mm below the print on the main wall. To correct for this, I glued the outer wall on 0.5mm cardboard as described for the northwest section and placed another strip of 0.5mm below the lower gluing tab on the roof. Those corrections may not seem significant, but it makes the difference between a too tight fit and a "just nice" fit.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7589.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8014.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8016.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8031.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8032.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8041.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8043.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8044.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8045.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8065.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8066.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8067.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8068.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8069.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8070.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8078.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8081.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8082.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_8084.jpg  
Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Erik - great progress and it is turning into an interesting model!

—-----------

Paying to see the church is a bit odd. I have visited tons of churches when in the UK, and have never been asked to pay, though they often do have donation boxes. If you feed the box is up to you.

An interesting aside - I once went to have a look at the Brompton Oratory (a Catholic church) and they had a brief service which I sat through. They came around for the collection, but intentionally bypassed me. I later asked why and was told "because I was not a regular"!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:39 AM

Kevin, you're right, it is odd. Churches are public places, which also in The Netherlands can be visited free of charge. I can imagine though that from this "harvest" expenses are paid to the many volunteers working in the church.

Also entrance fees are applicable when the church is a venue for all kinds of events, like in 2011 when it was commemorated that exactly 100 years ago Fokker flew around the spire and an extensive exhibition about Dutch aviation history was hosted by the church. This drew a lot of visitors.

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
bavo, church, schuijt