PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200

2016 was a good year for GPM architectural kits. After Krakow (2013) and Frombork (2014) cathedrals, Wroclaw and Lodz were released at the same time! Of the “big three” (Frombork is not in the same league), Lodz has the lowest number of parts but, at 600, it is already impressive. Apart from the “basic” kit, I got the detail set and the laser cut parts. The first pictures, as always, show the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c01.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c02.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c03.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c04.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c05.jpg  

Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c06.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c07.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c08.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c09.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Looks like another great build in the making!

Fred
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Hi Ricardo ,

I also have these Card , it is really wonderfull !!

Kind regards
Kurt
Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I'll follow this one with interest. The buttresses are making me feel giddy already.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

Hello Ricardo,

I, too, love the GPM models. We were in Poland last year, and I have all of the models of the places we visited. I have already made Malbork Castle, Warclaw Cathedral with the extra parts, Jasna Gorze , Czestochowa and I have just finished Wawel Castle in Krakow...it is near the top of the posts , have a look. I have just started the Peace Church in Swidnica which has the extra parts. It is a half timber building. Half timbers are printed on the pieces, but the extra parts include laser cut half timbers to be glued to all of the parts. It make a big difference. I will start a tread next week on it.

I have 7 other GPM models of places we visited to build. Three of them have extra parts. GPM models are extremely detailed and take a lot of time to build, but they are worth it. I do not have your model as we did not visit it, but I will be watching your progress with great interest.
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
This will be a great model.

And I am really impressed with the laser it windows.....
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Thank you for the interest and welcome aboard

@ Thomas – my experience with GPM architecture subjects has been mixed. Baranow Sandomierski was not good, Frombork was not bad and Krakow was great. Apart from Lodz, the only kits waiting are Wroclaw (you know it well ) and Bazylika Mariacka, in Gdansk. Some of the models you mention are in my “possible future shopping” list. Wavel is not there just because the model is huge.

@ Kevin - Lodz’s detail set includes the transparencies, laser cut window frames and engraved card parts. The frames are lovely but they are not painted. It would be great if GPM managed to laser cut painted/textured parts. I don’t plan to use the engraved parts, as the “simply” painted parts look better!

Unlike Krakow and Wroclaw, which have huge architectural variety and many annexes to the main building, Lodz is an almost “textbook gothic cathedral”. So, I decided to make virtually all the subassemblies first and put the whole thing together later. The method may look odd and not very rewarding because you don’t see anything substantial for a long time. However, I always have an aircraft model on the workbench at the same time and the comparatively easy assembly of an architecture or a train model takes place after dinner on working days. Subassemblies can be tedious but they are just perfect for an hour, as the hands work well on autopilot…
The pictures show half a dozen of tall buttresses. The assembly (second picture) is made much easier by using card parts (first picture) that fix the space between the left and right sides. This way, there is no problem to get untwisted buttresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c11.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c12.jpg   Lodz Basilica - GPM - 1/200-lodz-c13.jpg  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks like a challenging project!

Quite a change from the Spitfire I.

Don
Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
Hi, please, tell me, from where You get those kits? For me it's not a problem, because I live in Poland, country of this company that releasing those kits, but for you it could be difficult.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Eternal Member

GPM has a very complete and detailed website as does JSC which is a nother publisher of Polish models. I live in the USA and always order directly from both companies. They provide excellent mail service. There are other companies who sell models on the internet and they often have both polish models. I hope this info helps. Thomas
Google Adsense

Tags
1/200, gpm, lodz basilica