PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry

I randomly chose (closed my eyes and reached into the file) this model of St. Stephen’s in Budapest, Hungary as my next model. We were in Budapest in 2011 for several days and visited this beautiful church.

Work was begun on the church in 1851, based on the designs of Jozsef Hild. Hild died before the church was completed and Miklos Ybl (architect of the opera house) was asked to finish building the church. Ybl found that the outer walls had huge cracks in them. A week later the vast dome collapsed. The entire building was declared unsound. Ybl redesigned it in neo-Renaissance style.

It was finally opened in 1906. The exterior of the church is very symmetrical with matching towers with small domes on the two front corners and a huge dome in the center. For more information about the church, you can read about our visit on my webpage – CATHEDRAL QUEST central Europe 2011 day 14 sightseeing in Budapest.

The model of St. Stephens was produced by 3D Karton , which also published the model of St. Matthias church on the Buda side of Budapest. This model, which I finished before the trip can be seen on my webpage – CATHEDRAL QUEST Central Europe 2011 day 13 sightseeing in Budapest. 3D Karton also has a model of the Chain Bridge in Budapest which I have but not made. I believe that these 3 models are the only architectural models that 3D Karton has produced.

As seen in the attached photos I first completed the central tower which supports the large dome. I would suggest using heavy cardboard or thin plywood under the top of the square tower that holds the dome. Paper for this model is rather thin, as compared to other company products. In the photos of the dome, you will notice a slight slant. The side, rear and front sections fit under the top of dome base and gives all 4 sides of the top of the dome base support and will make it straight – I promise :-).
As you will note from the photos, I’ve also finished front section which has a recessed front door.

Instructions for building are very sparse and only in Hungarian. The only directions are given in the half page diagram as shown in the photos. I suggest that you try all pieces in place before gluing them as sometimes the drawing is not very clear as it as to exactly where it fits.

Unlike my previous model of the Peace Church in Poland, I intend to have regular update post on this church. Come back often as I always enjoy hearing from you all.
Attached Thumbnails
St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-img_6975.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02862.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02863.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02864.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02865.jpg  

St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02866.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02868.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02869.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02870.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02872.jpg  

St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-dsc02873.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2019, 10:30 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
You're off to a great start. Very impressive portico. The frieze is very 3D looking.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Aah, Thomas, setting yourself yet another interesting challenge. Look forward to viewing your progress on this piece. A great beginning, as always.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
You're liking this one: I can tell.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thoma - a very interesting piece of architecture.

The entrance section has worked out nicely - I look forward to seeing the facade with it in place.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Eternal Member

I am making a little progress on St. Stephens. The two side sections or transepts are identical. A rear almost identical section was also added. This section will have a large circular extension added. Two large towers will soon be added to either side of the front.

As noted in my last post, the four sections that have just been added fit under the overhanging ledge of the central tower. It give the tower support and straightens it.
Attached Thumbnails
St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02876.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-2-dsc02879.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-5-dsc02880.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-3-dsc02883.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-4-dsc02882.jpg  

St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-6-dsc02881.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Eternal Member

The first photos show the step by step construction of the left front tower. Other photos show the completion of both front towers and the small wall around both sides of the base. The only parts remaining are two small towers on the back side and the large apse. I should finish these in the next day or so.
Attached Thumbnails
St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02887.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02888.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02889.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02891.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02894.jpg  

St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02896.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02897.jpg   St. Stephen's Budapest, Hungry-1-dsc02898.jpg  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Looking good, Thomas
It is a pity that this kit is getting harder to find...
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Lookin' good Tom. Hope to see you at IPMS this year. I've been tied up with remodeling our house the past six months and have not been able to do much modeling work..
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great progress, Thomas!

Fred
Google Adsense